Lifestyle..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarketDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I am fascinated with Radiology, and just the whole proffession. My Only worry about it is lifestyle, and Residency. I know residency will be hard, as are they all, so that is not a HUGE worry. Main one is lifestyle:

I want to be able to go to my kid's game, help coach their team. I want to be able to be at every band concert, and major award ceremony.

I've heard from some of my friends that this isnt possible in radiology, they seem to thiunk its all work, 24/7. Was just wondering for a little insight on this subject! thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, if you really are pre-medical, then it's way too soon to be worrying about this. This response is cliche; it's also incredibly true.

Second of all, don't choose your specialty based upon the residency.

Thirdly, it's funny that you've been told this, since radiology is classically considered to be a lifestyle specialty. In truth, private practice radiologists can be just as busy, if not busier, than any one else in medicine. On the other hand, radiology residency is typically less hours than some other specialties - e.g., surgery or medicine. It's also a lot more hours than others think, especially when you include time spent at home studying.

Lastly, radiology residency is undergoing some fundamental changes. The nature of our board-certification exam is being reworked, and there are big changes in the set-up of residency programs on the horizon. The incoming radiology class that starts July 2008 will be the first class to not take unsupervised overnight call for the entire first year of residency. I'm not sure how these changes will, if at all, affect the workload.

Hey everybody! I am fascinated with Radiology, and just the whole proffession. My Only worry about it is lifestyle, and Residency. I know residency will be hard, as are they all, so that is not a HUGE worry. Main one is lifestyle:

I want to be able to go to my kid's game, help coach their team. I want to be able to be at every band concert, and major award ceremony.

I've heard from some of my friends that this isnt possible in radiology, they seem to thiunk its all work, 24/7. Was just wondering for a little insight on this subject! thanks in advance! :)

Not trying to be too judgemental...but given your previous posts and threads, it seems as though you are awfully concerned about the hours that go into each specialty(Opthamology, Rad, Pain management, etc.). I'm guessing that you are still quite young and have several years before having to decide which route to go. IMO...if I needed to know the exact amount of time and effort needed to go into a career, I would probably rethink my intentions and whether it was something that I truly wanted. Medicine is something that you go into because it's what you love doing and are prepared to work your butt off to get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine is something that you go into because it's what you love doing and are prepared to work your butt off to get it.

OP,
Even in radiology I've missed births, weddings, and unfortunately even the funeral of a close friend. In Medicine, the patients come first. If you aren't ready to make some sacrifices you may want to reconsider your career path.

Interesting to find posts on radiology being significantly difficult in the PP world. However, I would assume so since most medical students have no idea what they are talking about (just due to lack of REAL exposure).

Anyway can anybody out there compare anesthesia to radiology? Both work long hours it seems like, but I wonder if anybody can say which one is more stressful compared to the other.

Interesting to find posts on radiology being significantly difficult in the PP world. However, I would assume so since most medical students have no idea what they are talking about (just due to lack of REAL exposure).

Anyway can anybody out there compare anesthesia to radiology? Both work long hours it seems like, but I wonder if anybody can say which one is more stressful compared to the other.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? It looks like you are a resident. Have you already started your PGY training in radiology, and are considering a switch to anesthesia? Or, are you starting a preliminary year?

If you try to prolong her life towards the final stages, her illness may just drag and she may end up in a coma for an unpredictable period of time. This alone will drain you of much of your resources, not to mention cause you unbelievable stress.

---------------------------------
.Hair Removal Magazine, hair removal guide.., Makeup Magazine.

If you try to prolong her life towards the final stages, her illness may just drag and she may end up in a coma for an unpredictable period of time. This alone will drain you of much of your resources, not to mention cause you unbelievable stress.

.Hair Removal Magazine, hair removal guide.., Makeup Magazine.

Uhhhh... right. This post and the websites advertised in Sachi's signature suggest board-spamming, or whatever you want to call it. Admin, clean up in aisle five please...

I rarely, rarely post over here because I'm a lowly 1st year medical student. But I have to wonder what this post has anything to do with this thread.

Sig deleted because spammers should rot in he!!

Kids, don't do drugs.

robocop-792844bmp.jpg