Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac

Started by chilon09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone recommend a book to study before anatomy start?
Your best bet is not trying to study ahead on anatomy, but make sure you have a firm grasp of medical terminology. I took it twice throughout high school and college and it gives you....well, not necessarily some huge edge, but you're not floundering trying to figure out what the word was that the professor even said. Once you know those prefixes, roots and suffixes, you can almost define most terms used. Also, as said previously, learning axes, planes, anatomical orientations....basically ch. 1 and 2 of Gray's would be an easy start.

Obviously not going to go through and buy textbooks right now or anything but do people suggest any books for anatomy? There's like a billion and all my friends are neurotically trying to decide which ones to use for their med school classes
Most people really like Gray's. Lots bought Rohen- it has real life cadaver pictures which is VERY helpful at times. And I'll second what someone else said about the BRS anatomy book....some of the questions are FAR too basic for our exam questions, but they make sure that you know your foundational bits that allow you to answer the second and third order questions for sure.

Wow for some reason when I googled LMU, it took me to some location in Knoxville. I think the UG campus looks wonderful and knowing there's a recreation center, a dining hall, and other students on the grounds is a huge plus. Also, anyone know how competitive this program is? That is, does PMSP reject a lot of students or waitlist some? Are acceptances hard to come by?
As for why you see Knoxville when you search, it's mainly because we have a lot of ties there, understandably. The nursing and PA students rotate here I think, the nursing school offers classes here at an extension site, the DO school has a rotation site located there...also, the law school is 100% located there.
 
Does tuition include anything else? Also, how much is the MCAT course discounted?

I am not sure about the MCAT course being offered because Dr. Stump e-mailed me that my file is being put on hold because of the MCAT. Now they are requiring an MCAT of 20 or higher for admission to the program. I am assuming you need to have taken the MCAT in orded to be accepted. I am waiting on my results from March 24th exam...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No one in this years class did the MCAT prep course so I'm not sure as to whether the price is discounted or not.
 
if you plan to take or re-take the mcat, i suggest you do it BEFORE classes start. People that had to study for the first MGA exam and retaking the MCAT at the same time, ended up nothing doing well on either.
 
if you plan to take or re-take the mcat, i suggest you do it BEFORE classes start. People that had to study for the first MGA exam and retaking the MCAT at the same time, ended up nothing doing well on either.

I might take a formal course in June/July and retake then. Right now I have a 24Q, but would like a much higher score. Verbal killed me 🙁
 
for those of you that are curious. I spoke with Fin Aid / Dr. Stump today and was told that Fin Aid packages are being prepared and we should be sent those sometime soon.
Also, the post-baccs don't qualify for the transfer scholarship since we all have our bachelor's degrees already; so no break on the $23000 that the program costs. :S
 
I thought someone said on here they give like 3-5k grants to pb kids?

That's what I thought too, and when I got the info packet a month or two ago, it seemed to me that the "grant" was actually teh transfer scholarship. I could be wrong. Dr. Stump said that we don't qualify for the transfer scholarship but if there is a grant, he didn't mention that. Any financial slack is good in my opinion so I hope you're right! 🙂
 
Just another question or two:

What is the start date and end date?

How many people apply in the summer before the program and get accepted or go somewhere else for medical school the following year? I really like DCOM's post bacc set up and would hope to take neuroanatomy in the spring...but I also like TCOM (grew up around there), VCOM, WVSOM, and a OHCOM for DO schools. 😀
 
If you want to go to another DO school, i recommend attending that particular school's post-bac/masters program. Your medical classes will more than likely not transfer or count at a different DO school. Most of us stay at DCOM because we do not want to retake MGA or Neuro again at another medical school. We don't see the point of retaking those classes again and would rather use time to relax or do questions for boards.

Start day for post-bacs is same as medical students, July 27th is first class at DCOM. Your undergrad classes will not start until mid-August. I do not know when post-bac orientation is this year and you should get that info from Dr. Stump/Dr. J through email or mail if you are accepted to the PMSP.
 
Can anyone comment on this class: BIOL 315 Molecular Genetics and Lab 4 credits

What is it exactly you learn in class and the lab...that differs from just 2000 level genetics?
 
Can't comment on the lab portion, I didn't take it. If you didn't get an A in undergrad genetics, then you'll be advised by Dr. J/Stump to take Molecular Genetics.
The difference between my undergrad genetics and molecular genetics is that molecular seems to be the basics for what you will learn in medical school. The first exam in Molecular Fundamentals of Medicine (1st year medical class) at DCOM is basically everything you learn from the molecular genetics class in the PMSP.
 
wait, did class info go out or something?

I dont think so, but on LMU's site, they've already posted the bulletin for classes in the fall. I've been a little overly excited about getting this program started (that and looking for any excuse to take a break from studying for my finals haha), I started looking at what times certain courses are offered this fall.

Does anyone know if you have to take the associated labs with these undergrad courses?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dont think so, but on LMU's site, they've already posted the bulletin for classes in the fall. I've been a little overly excited about getting this program started (that and looking for any excuse to take a break from studying for my finals haha), I started looking at what times certain courses are offered this fall.

Does anyone know if you have to take the associated labs with these undergrad courses?

We didn't have to take the lab portion of the ug classes so I doubt next years post-bacc class will have to either.
 
No on meal plans. Your schedule will be awkward. Lunch will more than likely be at different times depending on MGA schedule.
 
Some bring their own food. Some go to subway, BBQ sandwich place, other fast food places, Mexican restaurants, Chinese buffets, etc
 
Haha it's not so healthy unless u bring ur own food. People work out to burn what they eat, rather than getting fit. Not many work out to get ripped while trying to do well in med school or postbac. It's tough.
 
What does everyone do for fun in Harrogate? I'm about 70% sure I'll be attending for the fall. Just trying to decide between schools 🙁
 
I dont think so, but on LMU's site, they've already posted the bulletin for classes in the fall. I've been a little overly excited about getting this program started (that and looking for any excuse to take a break from studying for my finals haha), I started looking at what times certain courses are offered this fall.

Does anyone know if you have to take the associated labs with these undergrad courses?

where are you looking? I looked around and couldn't find it? (Clearly I need something to do at work. 🙂 )
 
Last edited:
If you want to go to another DO school, i recommend attending that particular school's post-bac/masters program. Your medical classes will more than likely not transfer or count at a different DO school. Most of us stay at DCOM because we do not want to retake MGA or Neuro again at another medical school. We don't see the point of retaking those classes again and would rather use time to relax or do questions for boards.

Start day for post-bacs is same as medical students, July 27th is first class at DCOM. Your undergrad classes will not start until mid-August. I do not know when post-bac orientation is this year and you should get that info from Dr. Stump/Dr. J through email or mail if you are accepted to the PMSP.

But can people still apply elsewhere? Have you not seen it whatsoever? With taking extra UG classes (upper level) AND 1+ medical school classes, this program seems way more competitive than a lot of other D.O. certificate/master programs.
 
People applied to other schools as backups but most never made any serious efforts by the end of 2nd exam in MGA. Generally, you'll know if you like DCOM or not by the 2nd exam. As I've said, we've only been told that only 1 person from the 1st post-bac group that did well, actually went somewhere else. Applying to other schools cost money and most of us weren't interested in other schools, otherwise we've would done a postbac/master at another school. I turned down both DO and MD postbac/masters program from big cities to go to LMU-DCOM because I knew I wanted to be here (I'm from Tennessee). That's why I said, if you have any interest in another school and would prefer that medical school, you should do the postbac/masters program there instead. It would make you more competitive for that particular school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The schedules for undergrad classes are built around the schedule for MGA. They rarely overlap. And if they do overlap, Dr. Stump/Dr. J will advice you to go to the MGA lecture/lab first before undergrad. MGA is the most important course for the program, so it's given priority on schedules.
 
I don't think we've been late to class yet, but MGA should be your priority. The professors all understand that.
 
I don't think we've been late to class yet, but MGA should be your priority. The professors all understand that.

In Dr.Ryder's classes, attendance isn't mandatory, so missing a day here or there for MGA wont be a big deal.
 
Thank goodness that it is not. Only medical school that is for profit in the US is The one in Colorado, RVU I think?
DCOM seems to focus a lot on students. They don't advertise this, but after every exam, all students are split into groups to analyze whether questions on the exams are fair or unfair. Every professor will then get statistics about every question on fhe exam back plus the student feedback of the exam and then make decisions whether or not to keep the question, double key it, or just throw it out. The professors have always been fair and whatever they do, usually benefit the majority of students and our grades.
DCOM also has curriculum committees by students. These committees will analyze curriculum and meet with the school to discuss how things can improve on behalf of the students. Positive improvements seem to always be the goal.
 
For those that live in the Inn: is there closet space for clothes or do we have to bring something to store clothes in ourselves?
 
For those that live in the Inn: is there closet space for clothes or do we have to bring something to store clothes in ourselves?

It depends on if you're living in the 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. The studio has very limited closet spaced, so if you have a lot of clothes that you'll be hanging, I'd suggest brining something to hang them. The 2 bedroom has plenty of closet space in the bedroom.
 
So people may end up walking in late to their respective classes?

Yes... this may be the case some times depending on what UG classes you are taking. In my case MGA overlapped around 10min with my Ethics class, but I spoked to the professor since the beginning of the semester so he was aware of the situation.
 
Just my advice and experiences.
How to succeed in the post-bac and medical school:
1. Don't use drugs or "enhancers." You don't need them, you also do not want to be dependent on them. Caffeine is bad for you.
2. Attitude is everything. If you go into this program and medical school believing you will conquer it, you more than likely will.
3. Time is your friend, not your enemy. Use it efficiently. Study smart, not study long.
4. DO A LOT OF PRACTICE QUESTIONS. This is by far the biggest mistake I've seen with post-bacs and medical students. People will wait until the last minute to start doing practice questions when they should have started from day 1.
Do questions or think up questions after you learn the material (from day 1). Constantly ask yourself questions like "how will this professor test this," "how can she/he phrase these questions," "what is the point of this picture on this slide," "If b is correct, why is a/c/d/e not correct."
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GET QUESTIONS WRONG. Research has consistently shown that students learn 4X as much from getting questions WRONG (and reviewing it) than getting questions RIGHT (and not reviewing it). So if you're too afraid to do questions because you might be wrong, you just wasted a potential to learn at 4x.
This goes for the boards also (I haven't taken it yet, but friends in competitive residencies have told me this), the more questions you do, the better you will do.
5. Don't compare yourself or your grades to other people. No one is the smartest or brightest at everything.
6. Don't just memorize, don't just focus on details. If you don't even understand the big picture, it's pointless to memorize the details.
7. If you can teach it to someone else or formulate a question and answer choices, you probably understand the material. If you CANNOT teach it to someone else nor can you form a question and answer choices, you probably do not know the material.
8. Very very few doctors work completely alone. Get used to socializing and getting along with other people. There will be 50 post-bacs and 225 1st year medical students at DCOM this Fall, you're not going to see eye to eye with everyone, but you should humbly try.
9. Active learning will always beat passing learning. If you can't sit in the lectures and concentrate...skip the lecture. Also, making 100 pages of hand written notes is completely useless if you can't even answer 5 practice questions on X subject. Notes are good if you actively use them. Notes are VERY VERY BAD if all you do is write them and then read them, then re-read them, then re-read them, then re-read them, and still can't answer practice questions.
10. Last of all, you're in the post-bac for a reason. Either you're like me and didn't know you wanted to be a doctor until you're 24 (business major), or you just messed around too much in college, or your MCAT or GPAs are low, or a combination of all of the above. This is your chance to prove that you can be and should be given a chance to be a doctor.
It might be your last chance to be in an American medical school, treat it as such.

Good luck
Feel free to ask me questions or other post-bacs (the ones accepted) questions this coming Fall. We're all pretty nice and have become a bit of a family (sometimes dysfunctional haha).
 
Hey JimmyT,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great help that you have been in answering all of our questions and giving some great advice. Good Luck next year and congrats on your acceptance into med school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since first year medical students are taking neuro and mga in the fall, post-bacs will not be able to take Neuro in the spring.

Instead, there is a discussion on allowing post-bacs to take MGA in the Fall, and then Physiology (hard med school class) in the spring along with first year med students.

A great opportunity for you guys next year. We're all a little jealous if you do get to take physio by itself, since physio is a beast.
 
When is everybody moving to harrogate? I'm moving this weekend- fiancé is starting LMU's PA school on monday.