You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac
Started by chilon09
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does anybody know the A & P book we will be using for MGA? Is any other material (i.e. netter flashcards, etc) recommended by the teacher or other students? I remember reading somewhere that the majority of your grade in that course comes from the Lab, is that the case and does the school publish a lab manual or do we buy that elsewhere?👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
;
Last edited:
for some reason, I'm calling admissions and no one's answering and fin aid office didn't know the answer...
Those of you that went through the program: for the transfer student scholarship, they said that they look at your transcripts. I have 3 other transcripts along with the one from my degree-granting uni...I was wondering if someone was in a similar situation and whther they took ALL your transcripts into account for the $$? I'm asking because there's a substantial difference depending on whether they're going to go by my UG transcript or include my other schoolwork too (like AACOMAS did). I'm looking at a difference of 2,500 at least...
thanks!
Those of you that went through the program: for the transfer student scholarship, they said that they look at your transcripts. I have 3 other transcripts along with the one from my degree-granting uni...I was wondering if someone was in a similar situation and whther they took ALL your transcripts into account for the $$? I'm asking because there's a substantial difference depending on whether they're going to go by my UG transcript or include my other schoolwork too (like AACOMAS did). I'm looking at a difference of 2,500 at least...
thanks!
I'm not sure how it works for the post-bacc program, but the cost of the laptop in the DO program is split up among each year's tuition & fees, so if you were to withdraw from the program after first year, you've paid for a quarter of it....and you just give it back lol. Kind of weird, but kind of nice. They just use it as a back up for students when theirs need repairs at that point, as far as I know. As a post bacc student I imagine it works the same....you pay on it for that year and if you don't stay, you give it back. You'll have to double check on that though....Does anybody know if we get to keep the laptop they give us? I know we pay $550 a semester so I doubt we get to keep it because my girlfriend in the PA programs pays around $4800 for hers.
Thanks
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
There is only one bar really worth going to down in the Gap....the Loose Caboose, but they only serve beer. They are pretty receptive to DCOM students (which is saying a lot because small town dynamic can tend to cause the opposite at times). There's also a local pizza place that serves beer and it's an okay place to go and hang out. There's also a FANTASTIC beer and wine shop just a couple miles down the road from the UInn in Virginia called Pappy's. They have a tremendous selection for a rural area.Anybody know of any good bars near LMU? Would love to at least be able to get a drink and relax every once in a while.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
I know the Inn has a built in bookshelf, but I think it gets used mostly for, well, books 🙂 Big Lots and Walmart will be your best bet and honestly, it's such a small space that you might have to get creative with shoe storage lol. I don't think there's a space under the bed either...Thanks guys! I'm thinking more about like shelves/storage containers...for my 92839283 pairs of shoes that I can't part with. don't judge. 😀
It is the Bible belt, and there are a lot of active church goers, but it's not overwhelming. Lots of variety in religions....we actually have a fairly consistent number of Muslims and Mormons too.What's the religious atmosphere like with the students? Are most students bible totin' Christians? Is it very bible-belty in the area or anything too? Just curious.
My class (2014) used Gray's Anatomy for Students with a supplemental dissection guide...many used Netter's flashcards and other types of resources as well. Also, for my class, the lab was 60% of your grade and written exams were 40%. As far as I know none of this has changed, but it's always best to check with someone in the most recent class. Book lists usually come out in May or so.Does anybody know the A & P book we will be using for MGA? Is any other material (i.e. netter flashcards, etc) recommended by the teacher or other students? I remember reading somewhere that the majority of your grade in that course comes from the Lab, is that the case and does the school publish a lab manual or do we buy that elsewhere?👍
do any current students know how many of the post bac student have been accepted to the DO program this year?
Without just going around and asking it's hard to say....I am kind of removed from the post baccs as a 2nd year, but some of the first year posters might know more since they took anatomy with them. If the trend from the first year of the program continues though, it's very promising that you'll get accepted if you do well in the coursework.do any current students know how many of the post bac student have been accepted to the DO program this year?
I got my acceptance email today!!!
so excited!
so excited!

Under the cost of tuition tab on the LMU PBMP site there is a link that brings up the info... Out of the twenty five that successfully completed the program 19 (75%) of them entered into medical school the next year.
"successfully completed" = passed the classes or does that mean met the requirements for the guaranteed interview?
You have to pass all classes with a C or better and have an overall 3.0 first semester to get a guaranteed interview. I am willing to bet (so I am not sure if this is the case) that you are also required to keep that 3.0 for the remainder of the year to be accepted into the next medical program class... We should look into that. I am so excited for Medical Gross Anatomy!
I sent my app since February and heard back yesterday.How long until you hear back from them after sending in an app?
does anyone recommend a book to study before anatomy start?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want some basic stuff to pre-study for MGA, pm me your email and I'll send it out.
However, I would not recommend over studying details ATM since you're not sure what will be tested. Also, you don't want to burn out before the race even starts. And it is quite a marathon.
However, I would not recommend over studying details ATM since you're not sure what will be tested. Also, you don't want to burn out before the race even starts. And it is quite a marathon.
kYou have to pass all classes with a C or better and have an overall 3.0 first semester to get a guaranteed interview. I am willing to bet (so I am not sure if this is the case) that you are also required to keep that 3.0 for the remainder of the year to be accepted into the next medical program class... We should look into that. I am so excited for Medical Gross Anatomy!
Last edited:
Obviously not going to go through and buy textbooks right now or anything but do people suggest any books for anatomy? There's like a billion and all my friends are neurotically trying to decide which ones to use for their med school classes
The total number of accepted students isn't official yet (there are students who are waiting to interview and others in the waiting list) -so far there are around 16-17 accepted students out of 24-25 remaining postbacs. Those of us who were accepted are required to complete our remaining coursework with satisfactory grades. I really hope to see you all in July and will be there to help you as much as I can. Good luck! =)
Today I applied to the program. Sent 2 LORs, and my transcript will be sent from my UG by tomorrow.
When I was filling out the application...I thought that there will be some kind of essay like "Why are you choosing to attend this program?"...but there wasn't 

The total number of accepted students isn't official yet (there are students who are waiting to interview and others in the waiting list) -so far there are around 16-17 accepted students out of 24-25 remaining postbacs. Those of us who were accepted are required to complete our remaining coursework with satisfactory grades. I really hope to see you all in July and will be there to help you as much as I can. Good luck! =)
any idea why those remaining peopel weren't offered interviews?
I'm looking forward to the program, I'm just slightly nervous/anxious!
There are always different reasons why people are accepted or waitlisted after interviews.
Grades in MGA, MCAT, interview session, and undergrade classes are probably some of those reasons, also probably listed in that order. If a student doesn't do as well as they should in the Fall, DCOM will probably waitlist them and wait for Spring grades to decide on acceptance.
Grades in MGA, MCAT, interview session, and undergrade classes are probably some of those reasons, also probably listed in that order. If a student doesn't do as well as they should in the Fall, DCOM will probably waitlist them and wait for Spring grades to decide on acceptance.
Anybody sent in there deposit yet?
Anybody sent in there deposit yet?
I am waiting first to see the area at the end of this month and I am also waiting on some other programs. I will send my deposit iin around May 20th if I do.
Anybody sent in there deposit yet?
I did. =) it's official. turned in my housing app too. Looks like I'm living at the Inn
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I looked into it. I was wrong about that two week time frame (I guess I had an awesome spring break!):
Paid and complete on 2/22
Accepted on 3/20.
You should make it in given you have a descent GPA (3.0) & MCAT (24).
Again good luck!
Thanks! I have around that MCAT and higher than a 3.0 by a few deviations, strong upward trend (god I hate saying upward trend lol), mega strong letters, some research, ok extracurriculars... :/ but really hope to get in here. Seems like a great program. I haven't received an e-mail saying everything is complete yet, so just a tad worried.
Thanks! I have around that MCAT and higher than a 3.0 by a few deviations, strong upward trend (god I hate saying upward trend lol), mega strong letters, some research, ok extracurriculars... :/ but really hope to get in here. Seems like a great program. I haven't received an e-mail saying everything is complete yet, so just a tad worried.
If you're MCAT is around that (20+), I think you should be fine not retaking it but check with Dr.Stump just in case.. Mine was a little bit lower than a 24 and I was accepted to DCOM. Do well in MGA first semester (I'd shoot for an 85% minimum), don't say anything completely off the wall in your interview and you'll be fine. 👍
Obviously not going to go through and buy textbooks right now or anything but do people suggest any books for anatomy? There's like a billion and all my friends are neurotically trying to decide which ones to use for their med school classes
I would get the books recommended by DCOM which I believe are the Gray's Anatomy for Students and Netters Atlas of Human Anatomy.. For the visual learners (like myself) the Atlas is very helpful and for those who learn well from text books, Gray's works well.. or so I've heard.
I would also highly recommend the Board Review Series Book for Gross Anatomy.. many of our exam questions were extremely similar to the ones in the book.
Anybody know how they do there refund checks when you take out loans and how much it is?
I would get the books recommended by DCOM which I believe are the Gray's Anatomy for Students and Netters Atlas of Human Anatomy.. For the visual learners (like myself) the Atlas is very helpful and for those who learn well from text books, Gray's works well.. or so I've heard.
I would also highly recommend the Board Review Series Book for Gross Anatomy.. many of our exam questions were extremely similar to the ones in the book.
ah thanks.
🙂
did anyone receive Financial Aid stuff/ I still haven't heard anything
No, the undergrad and medical school classes are all in Harrogate. DCOM is on LMU's campus. And as long as I've been in the program I haven't heard anything about a glide year.. The ones of us in the program this year who were accepted will begin med school this July.
No, the undergrad and medical school classes are all in Harrogate. DCOM is on LMU's campus. And as long as I've been in the program I haven't heard anything about a glide year.. The ones of us in the program this year who were accepted will begin med school this July.
How is DCOM on LMU campus? I thought DCOM in Harrogate is just the building for D.O. and P.A. students? And earlier in this thread, people from 2010 were saying there would be a glide year.
How is DCOM on LMU campus? I thought DCOM in Harrogate is just the building for D.O. and P.A. students? And earlier in this thread, people from 2010 were saying there would be a glide year.
I visited DCOM in Feb for the med school interview and it is, in fact, on the LMU campus. The campus is huge and there is a building (going to be another one) for the med school. Those people in the program can correct me if I'm wrong, since you guys obviously know what's up.
There are no classes in Knoxville unless you're doing the nursing program or you are on rotations for the DO or PA programs.
LMU itself is a big campus. The schools owns most of Harrogate. DCOM has 2 main buildings on the LMU campus. DCOM is generally "up the hill" and LMU undergraduate is "down the hill."
There has never been and as far as I know, there is no glide year planned. You do post-bac program for fall and spring, and if you do well, you start medical school immediately in July.
Yes, pretty much all students in the post-bac that did well stayed and went to DCOM, only 1-2 people went to other medical schools (as we've been told).
LMU itself is a big campus. The schools owns most of Harrogate. DCOM has 2 main buildings on the LMU campus. DCOM is generally "up the hill" and LMU undergraduate is "down the hill."
There has never been and as far as I know, there is no glide year planned. You do post-bac program for fall and spring, and if you do well, you start medical school immediately in July.
Yes, pretty much all students in the post-bac that did well stayed and went to DCOM, only 1-2 people went to other medical schools (as we've been told).
I probably wouldn't say adjacent. You have to drive down the hill, perhaps a 15-20 minute walk. Undergrad classes are in different buildings, you won't be in the same building for all your classes. Some buildings are older, some are newer. I would say half of the undergrad classes were post-bacs, so you have plenty of people you can form study groups with or sit with.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I probably wouldn't say adjacent. You have to drive down the hill, perhaps a 15-20 minute walk. Undergrad classes are in different buildings, you won't be in the same building for all your classes. Some buildings are older, some are newer. I would say half of the undergrad classes were post-bacs, so you have plenty of people you can form study groups with or sit with.
Exactly, It's an undergraduate university with a medical school overlooking the campus. I personally wouldn't use big or huge to describe LMU's campus but I went to huge undergrad, so it's all relative.
The undergrad classes are about 20-30 people and the largest class we have is about 55-60 people..so relatively small, you won't have to worry about 200+ person lecture halls at LMU. But at DCOM, you'll be with the entire first year class plus the post baccs which I believe will be around 250 people next year.
Last edited:
Wow for some reason when I googled LMU, it took me to some location in Knoxville. I think the UG campus looks wonderful and knowing there's a recreation center, a dining hall, and other students on the grounds is a huge plus. Also, anyone know how competitive this program is? That is, does PMSP reject a lot of students or waitlist some? Are acceptances hard to come by?
Wow for some reason when I googled LMU, it took me to some location in Knoxville. I think the UG campus looks wonderful and knowing there's a recreation center, a dining hall, and other students on the grounds is a huge plus. Also, anyone know how competitive this program is? That is, does PMSP reject a lot of students or waitlist some? Are acceptances hard to come by?
I wouldn't say that acceptances are hard to come by, I know that sounds terrible. It is a post bac willing to take a chance on those willing to bust their butts for a year to prove their competitiveness for medical school.Also, I know they are accepting more students this year. Last year there was ~30 and this year they are spots for 50 Dr. Stump told me a couple weeks ago. So the odds are in one's favor. I don't know how competitive it really is compared to other programs
The post-Bac med program is not yet competitive because its still only in its 2nd year. LMU-DCOM however is becoming more selective because the school is getting more applications each cycle. From this yesr's postbacs, only one student with a C in MGA has been accepted. Some students with Bs in MGA are waitlisted, some accepted. All the students with A's in MGA have been accepted.
So being selected to the postbac program is just a chance to proof that you can master one medical subject. If you can't do well in one medical class, there is no way u can survive when three are 6-7 medical classes together
So being selected to the postbac program is just a chance to proof that you can master one medical subject. If you can't do well in one medical class, there is no way u can survive when three are 6-7 medical classes together
.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K