Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac

Started by chilon09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're comparing the different post-bac and 1 year master programs, you should choose the programs that allow you to take ACTUAL medical classes.
Getting credit for medical classes so that you do not have to retake them again if accepted into the school is a huge advantage when entering that medical school.
You will eventually find out that taking undergraduate biomedical classes is nothing close to the real medical classes.

Hey I have some more questions:
Will that credit that you complete in the post bac be discounted from your tuition in medical school since you don't take that course at that point in time?

Also the dissection course that you completed, is that required or can you take something else? I hope to complete more science!
Thanks.
 
No, unfortunately it is not discounted.
Dissection is not required, but is recommended by advisers because it will increase your knowledge of anatomy and enhances your transcripts if you plan to apply to other schools. Also it's recommended because starting in Fall 2012, all med students at DCOM are required to do their own dissections, instead of using prosections like in the past.
There are pros and cons of taking dissection in the spring. If you get into the post-bac program at DCOM, you can compare the pros and cons yourself during December when they actually pick the people who will be doing dissections. Not everyone that wants to do it, are allowed to, generally only the As and Bs students in MGA can do it.
 
My wife is a PA, is there a hospital close by for her to work?
Do any students live in between Knoxville and Harrogate and commute (or any community)?
Is there any towns or areas around there that come to your mind?
Thanks!👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, unfortunately it is not discounted.
Dissection is not required, but is recommended by advisers because it will increase your knowledge of anatomy and enhances your transcripts if you plan to apply to other schools. Also it's recommended because starting in Fall 2012, all med students at DCOM are required to do their own dissections, instead of using prosections like in the past.
There are pros and cons of taking dissection in the spring. If you get into the post-bac program at DCOM, you can compare the pros and cons yourself during December when they actually pick the people who will be doing dissections. Not everyone that wants to do it, are allowed to, generally only the As and Bs students in MGA can do it.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know HOW the program is viewed by other schools / if most people apply to other schools as well as LMU-DCOM?
 
there are some students who commute between knoxville and harrogate.
The school runs a university medical clinic in both harrogate and tazewell, but i do not know if they're hiring PAs or not. You should check with the local clinics and hospitals.
 
Just got some paperwork about tuition and cost today and I noticed we get charged a laptop fee.. So do we get a laptop?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
You get the same touchscreen laptop that the medical students use. It's probably the nicest laptop I've used. Comes preloaded with MS Office 2010, adobe stuff, and image editing software.
 
You get the same touchscreen laptop that the medical students use. It's probably the nicest laptop I've used. Comes preloaded with MS Office 2010, adobe stuff, and image editing software.

Thanks, dumb question- is it easy to take notes on?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
wooohooo just got the post-bacc packet in the mail. Now I just gotta turn in my deposit.

Anyone planning on living in the University Inn?

It wasn't THAT great when I visited but it seems convenient so I'm kind of torn between that and living somewhere else.
 
wooohooo just got the post-bacc packet in the mail. Now I just gotta turn in my deposit.

Anyone planning on living in the University Inn?

It wasn't THAT great when I visited but it seems convenient so I'm kind of torn between that and living somewhere else.

PM sent


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Hey, I was recently accepted into the PMSP program can anyone tell how the Univ Inn studio are? Are they nice, are they quiet, do they air condition, was it enjoyable to live there? Would you say that it is better to live on campus? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much
 
Hey, I was recently accepted into the PMSP program can anyone tell how the Univ Inn studio are? Are they nice, are they quiet, do they air condition, was it enjoyable to live there? Would you say that it is better to live on campus? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

Can't really comment on the school housing but I did look at a couple houses and apartments when my girlfriend was doing her interview for PA school and we just went back up this last weekend to look again. Ball reality has a lot of apartments and town houses about 5 minutes from campus. They weren't super nice but for the price they were great. Just google (ball realty tazwell, TN) and the number and website comes right up. Also www.dcomdo.com has a classified section for houses, roommates, and apartments. Hope you find what your looking for and looking forward to meeting in July!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Hey, I was recently accepted into the PMSP program can anyone tell how the Univ Inn studio are? Are they nice, are they quiet, do they air condition, was it enjoyable to live there? Would you say that it is better to live on campus? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

When I went and saw the University Inn, it was really really quiet. I didn't see anyone in the halls at all, tbh. They have AC/heater from what I understand. It's not "on campus" but it's really close to campus. There was also a small gym which is nice because I like running for stress relief.

The problem is that there was NO cell reception in the entire building when I went (but i have Tmobile which is super crappy in general)
 
When I went and saw the University Inn, it was really really quiet. I didn't see anyone in the halls at all, tbh. They have AC/heater from what I understand. It's not "on campus" but it's really close to campus. There was also a small gym which is nice because I like running for stress relief.

The problem is that there was NO cell reception in the entire building when I went (but i have Tmobile which is super crappy in general)

Add AT&T to not working there either and Verizon is hit or miss I heard


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the gpa based scholarship LMU offers, does anyone know if they go off of your AACOMAS gpa or the one on your UG transcript. My gpa at UG was lower because of the way they handle retakes. I took a few classes at another school after graduating and my AACOMAS gpa is considerably higher...anyone in the past have this issue?

thanks!
 
For the gpa based scholarship LMU offers, does anyone know if they go off of your AACOMAS gpa or the one on your UG transcript. My gpa at UG was lower because of the way they handle retakes. I took a few classes at another school after graduating and my AACOMAS gpa is considerably higher...anyone in the past have this issue?

thanks!

Also, does anyone who attends the do program after the post bac not have a lor from a DO but got in?I really want to go here but that is the only thing I do not have.
 
Seems like everyone received a packet in the mail last week except me. I guess I should contact the school to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail or something.

As for the conversations about housing, I've ruled out living at the Inn because I heard too many stories about there never being hot water, or the water going out completely and that there is never cell service in the building. I'm going down to Harrogate next month to look at the housing situation, so who knows, I might end up at the Inn if I can't find anything else haha
 
If you plead your case to AT&T and tell them you get absolutely no service where you live, they'll give it to you for free.
 
Seems like everyone received a packet in the mail last week except me. I guess I should contact the school to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail or something.

As for the conversations about housing, I've ruled out living at the Inn because I heard too many stories about there never being hot water, or the water going out completely and that there is never cell service in the building. I'm going down to Harrogate next month to look at the housing situation, so who knows, I might end up at the Inn if I can't find anything else haha
,
 
Last edited:
When is everybody moving to Harrogate. My girlfriend starts PA school there in May so I will probably be moving then. I'm not looking forward to May-July when I will be stuck there.

Thanks to the person that told me about the AT&T micro tower thing! Called and got one no problem


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
ok so I'm really confused with all this housing stuff.

I saw the U Inn and I thought that the Ball Apartments were the ones that were next door that had the 3 bedrooms but shared kitchen/living room...turns out that's not it?

Would anyone recommend the Ball Realty apartment? I'm looking at a 1 bedroom. And where exactly are they located? In Tazewell or Harrogate?

Thanks!
 
Anybody know of any good bars near LMU? Would love to at least be able to get a drink and relax every once in a while.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is an email from Dr. Leo a few days ago. I'm not sure if these dorms are available to post-bacs, but you can always ask. I've seen the outside of these buildings, but not the inside, so I can't comment, but I'm sure it's just like any other college dorm...good for single folks. The building are pretty much like a 10 second drive from DCOM, or you can walk also.

"Dear Students,
At the foot of the DCOM hill, on the campus side, there are two dormitories – Shelton and Langley. These are the existing dorms, not the ones under construction. They have the same design/layout as the Mars and Lee buildings.

Shelton and Langley will be open for DCOM students next year. We are going to designate these two new buildings as "Quiet Buildings." These buildings will be for students who want a quieter environment than the University Inn/Mars/ Lee setting. These quiet buildings will also be alcohol free. One advantage is that you are about 60 seconds from the DCOM building.

If you want to be in one of these quiet dorms stop by our office tomorrow and let us know."
 
No, unfortunately it is not discounted.
Dissection is not required, but is recommended by advisers because it will increase your knowledge of anatomy and enhances your transcripts if you plan to apply to other schools. Also it's recommended because starting in Fall 2012, all med students at DCOM are required to do their own dissections, instead of using prosections like in the past.
There are pros and cons of taking dissection in the spring. If you get into the post-bac program at DCOM, you can compare the pros and cons yourself during December when they actually pick the people who will be doing dissections. Not everyone that wants to do it, are allowed to, generally only the As and Bs students in MGA can do it.

Is this dissection course different from the Anatomy course and then the Neuro class in the spring...? Or am I just confused?
 
Medical gross anatomy and medical gross anatomy dissection are two different courses. MGA is in fall and that is taken with 1st year medical students, MGA dissection is in spring.
MGA dissection is an opportunity for students interested to dissect basically an entire cadaver (2 students per body) from head to toe.
 
Medical gross anatomy and medical gross anatomy dissection are two different courses. MGA is in fall and that is taken with 1st year medical students, MGA dissection is in spring.
MGA dissection is an opportunity for students interested to dissect basically an entire cadaver (2 students per body) from head to toe.


..
 
Last edited:
We are planning on moving out there in June. But I have a wife and two kids so we want to get to know the area before school starts. HOPEFULLY signing a lease on a home soon.
 
Does anybody know if we get to keep the laptop they give us? I know we pay $550 a semester so I doubt we get to keep it because my girlfriend in the PA programs pays around $4800 for hers.

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
We are planning on moving out there in June. But I have a wife and two kids so we want to get to know the area before school starts. HOPEFULLY signing a lease on a home soon.

Family atmosphere is great here , harrogate TN is a wonderful place , your family will enjoy the nature , parks, hiking trails , and sports activities for the kids . Let me know if you need more details .
 
Does anybody know if we get to keep the laptop they give us? I know we pay $550 a semester so I doubt we get to keep it because my girlfriend in the PA programs pays around $4800 for hers.

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

As Post Bac student you get to keep it until the end of the year. If you get accepted to med school you'll be getting a new one to keep for life with an extended 4 years of warranty while you in school, not bad of a deal .
 
Really random question but:

I'm moving from the west coast and will be staying at the Inn. I know they give you some furniture but I was wondering if there's a place closer to Harrogate that would have shelves and whatnot? Basically, I got all my stuff in UG from Ikea but I don't think there's anything like that near LMU? Im just trying to figure out whether I'm going to have buy stuff here and lug it over there or if there was an easier alternative. 🙂
thanks!

Nothing like that around here , all we have is Walmart .
Knoxville is about 60 miles away from Harrogate major big city around.
 
I got furniture from big lots, had coupons though. There's also rent a center and a few other furniture places. Really, you only need a good bed and a good study desk if u study at home.
 
Nothing like that around here , all we have is Walmart .
Knoxville is about 60 miles away from Harrogate major big city around.

I got furniture from big lots, had coupons though. There's also rent a center and a few other furniture places. Really, you only need a good bed and a good study desk if u study at home.

Thanks guys! I'm thinking more about like shelves/storage containers...for my 92839283 pairs of shoes that I can't part with. don't judge. 😀
 
What's the religious atmosphere like with the students? Are most students bible totin' Christians? Is it very bible-belty in the area or anything too? Just curious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another random question:

If I'm coming from OOS, does TN require me to change my FL license for their own? New license plate? I keep reading conflicting things. Some ppl say that I have 30 days to change all my stuff and other ppl are saying that if i'm a fulltime student, I can keep my FL license...
on that same note, does anyone know anything bout smog tests and wht not we're required to do?

I'm really dumb when it comes to car stuff so all my efforts to find info are...unhelpful.

Thanks so much!
 
Last edited:
Good question, I go to school in a neighboring state to TN, but hold my driver's license in a completely other state where I haven't been back to since 2009 lol. If I were to get my car inspected it would probably fail 😛 Hmm, that would be a pain though if it was required in in TN.
 
Does anyone know if there are student classifieds for the school for roommate postings?
I am looking for a roommate if anyone else is too.
 
In regards to your question about classifieds, I read this on an earlier post, I haven't checked it out but you might want to:

A good place to look for housing is the DCOM classifieds:
www.dcomdo.com/classified

You might also want to post on the PBMP Facebook page, that link is somewhere in this forum as well! Good luck!
 
I lived in TN for four months with a FL drivers license and never had a problem. For most purposes when you are a full time student and only live there for school you are not considered a TN resident.