Linguistics masters, pursue PsyD after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midoritori2018

Reaction score
I am a ‘mature’ (36) year old student. I’m currently completing a masters in linguistics with a lot of concentration in psycholinguistics.

When I finish I would like to go into psychology and get a PsyD.

My question is how can I best prepare for this? Anyone else done linguistics and gone onto psychology? They are interrelated fields in many ways but there is a lot that doesn’t overlap as well.

Will I need a masters in psychology? Or can I just just apply for a PsyD program after doing some volunteer work in, say, a mental health hospital etc? If so, how long would you recommend I do volunteer work? I Just need advice for getting some good experience and being good enough to apply for a PsyD program

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to do clinical psychology and be in a private practice. I am very keen to work with patients and this is where my heart mostly lies. But, I also would like to possibly pursue research in psychology/ linguistics.

Members don't see this ad :)
or just go to a clinical psych program where they study linguistics. Penn has a track like that. UT-Austin's emphasizes studies in how language affects perception/mood. Stanford has something like that too.

Reactions: 3 users
or just go to a clinical psych program where they study linguistics. Penn has a track like that. UT-Austin's emphasizes studies in how language affects perception/mood. Stanford has something like that too.
That’s interesting, thanks

It'll be either or, if you are in private practice, you won't really have the resources to do linguistics research. As for what you need to do beforehand to be seriously considered for the handful of reputable PsyDs, or PhD programs, you need to spend a couple years involved in psychological research in some capacity. Also, depending on how old your GRE scores are, you may need to retake it. Are you ok with a minimum of 7+ years until you are starting your career at this point?

It'll be either or, if you are in private practice, you won't really have the resources to do linguistics research. As for what you need to do beforehand to be seriously considered for the handful of reputable PsyDs, or PhD programs, you need to spend a couple years involved in psychological research in some capacity. Also, depending on how old your GRE scores are, you may need to retake it. Are you ok with a minimum of 7+ years until you are starting your career at this point?

Yes, I will have to retake the GREs sadly but that’s ok. And yes, it’s ok if I take that long before I have a career :). I’m ok with that.

My question is, how do I find research opportunities without undergrad in this field? It’s like a catch 22. What would you recommend? Thanks so much!

Yes, I will have to retake the GREs sadly but that’s ok. And yes, it’s ok if I take that long before I have a career :). I’m ok with that.

My question is, how do I find research opportunities without undergrad in this field? It’s like a catch 22. What would you recommend? Thanks so much!

Without a psych background, and having already finished, you aren't as competitive for paid research positions, which are super competitive as it is. You may need to find some psych, or cognitive neuroscience labs doing the work that you are interested in and cold call/e-mail them and ask about research opportunities, even if they are unpaid.

Reactions: 1 users