This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnpremed96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!! First post here after reading this website for a couple years lol

Is anyone a current student, alumnus/a, or even heard about Lipscomb University's Biomolecular Sciences MS Program? Haven't really found a lot of info online from other students :(

I am interested in applying to this program to enhance my academic credentials before I apply to med school next June - my only concerns are that Lipscomb is not a medical school and I can't find success rates anywhere so not sure how good it is... but it's the only post-bacc program I have found in TN (where I'm from) besides ETSU which is for career changers

Any help is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I considered this program too! So apparently its a new program that hasn't been around for long. And I interviewed with the head there and he basically told me that if you were looking to improve your gpa then it might be a good program. Haven't actually met anyone who did it though.

I considered this program too! So apparently its a new program that hasn't been around for long. And I interviewed with the head there and he basically told me that if you were looking to improve your gpa then it might be a good program. Haven't actually met anyone who did it though.
Oh ok! I just decided to apply - did you? I just don't know how good it is at getting their students into MD school ya know? Like it doesn't have as much "prestige" as other MS programs and it's not even held at a medical school lol

I'm just a little worried that if I do the program, MD schools won't give it as much weight as I'm hoping they would when I apply. Maybe I'll email them to put me in contact with a graduate who is in MD school rn?? It'd be cool to get their perspective

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to, but the guy literally told me that the program wasn't a good fit for me lol. He told me to apply to med school first because he felt like my gpa, ec's and all were good. I just hadnt taken my MCAT yet. Like the program seemed fairly new and the fact that they told me that, kind of made me skeptical about what the program entails in general. What drove you to apply for this program? What I mean is are you trying to improve your gpa or research skills, MCAT etc. I would advise you to set up a meeting with the guy in charge just so you can have a better idea of what to expect. Have you been in touch with their admissions office? They are really nice and am sure they would be willing to give you some contact details for previous students.

Oh lol I'm applying because my stats definitely aren't competitive for med school rn (3.3 cGPA, 500 MCAT) so hopefully doing well in this program will make up for my undergrad gpa and I plan to retake the mcat as well. I mean I have 2 years of research from undergrad but it wouldn't hurt to do more in this program - just isn't my focus since I don't really like bench work haha. I did email their admissions office so maybe I will be interviewed soon! Are you from TN if you don't mind me asking? Because I feel like Lipscomb isn't a well known school unless you're from here lol. At least your stats are all good and that you don't have to worry about spending more money on a post-bacc!! Which med schools are you applying to? We can move this to PM too if you want!

Oh lol I'm applying because my stats definitely aren't competitive for med school rn (3.3 cGPA, 500 MCAT) so hopefully doing well in this program will make up for my undergrad gpa and I plan to retake the mcat as well. I mean I have 2 years of research from undergrad but it wouldn't hurt to do more in this program - just isn't my focus since I don't really like bench work haha. I did email their admissions office so maybe I will be interviewed soon! Are you from TN if you don't mind me asking? Because I feel like Lipscomb isn't a well known school unless you're from here lol. At least your stats are all good and that you don't have to worry about spending more money on a post-bacc!! Which med schools are you applying to? We can move this to PM too if you want!
Will pm you lol

Hey did you eventually enroll in the program?

Actually, I did and I finish this summer! Ask me anything you want.
What was your experience in the program like? I am looking into applying for the upcoming spring semester. I have not heard much in regards to success rates of students that have done the program

What was your experience in the program like? I am looking into applying for the upcoming spring semester. I have not heard much in regards to success rates of students that have done the program

There were I think 4 people in my cohort (pre-dent/med/PA) who had active applications during the program and they all did end up getting accepted by spring! I think their first semester grades helped in that aspect. If they didn't get accepted, they still had this completed program as a backup and would have applied next cycle. In the end you do receive a Master's degree, so it is an investment. I'm currently applying to med school, so we'll see if I get any success! There are I think 5 other people in my cohort applying this cycle, so I won't know of our success rate until next year haha. But I did talk to a student who graduated a year before me and she said this: "I can’t speak much to the cohorts before me but out of the 5 that applied this year, all were accepted. Two to DO and three to MD. Last year I know of two who matriculated to MD and one to DO out of maybe 4 that applied. The success rates are really good for the program and I believe that is mostly due to the amount of independence you have and how you learn from that."

Overall, I think the program does a lot with primary articles and independent work, especially presentations. It was very research heavy which gives you an opportunity to enhance your application and practical skills. I was able to maintain a good GPA while volunteering and working part-time, and I found that my classmates agreed. It's very fast-paced since each class is only 8 weeks long in the year-long program, and there's a lot of information packed into that short time frame. Regardless, I'm glad I did it to improve my academic stats coming from undergrad.

Lmk if you have other questions! I'd be happy to help since there's not a lot of info on this program.

Reactions: 1 users
There were I think 4 people in my cohort (pre-dent/med/PA) who had active applications during the program and they all did end up getting accepted by spring! I think their first semester grades helped in that aspect. If they didn't get accepted, they still had this completed program as a backup and would have applied next cycle. In the end you do receive a Master's degree, so it is an investment. I'm currently applying to med school, so we'll see if I get any success! There are I think 5 other people in my cohort applying this cycle, so I won't know of our success rate until next year haha. But I did talk to a student who graduated a year before me and she said this: "I can’t speak much to the cohorts before me but out of the 5 that applied this year, all were accepted. Two to DO and three to MD. Last year I know of two who matriculated to MD and one to DO out of maybe 4 that applied. The success rates are really good for the program and I believe that is mostly due to the amount of independence you have and how you learn from that."

Overall, I think the program does a lot with primary articles and independent work, especially presentations. It was very research heavy which gives you an opportunity to enhance your application and practical skills. I was able to maintain a good GPA while volunteering and working part-time, and I found that my classmates agreed. It's very fast-paced since each class is only 8 weeks long in the year-long program, and there's a lot of information packed into that short time frame. Regardless, I'm glad I did it to improve my academic stats coming from undergrad.

Lmk if you have other questions! I'd be happy to help since there's not a lot of info on this program.
Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better because as you said there isn't much information about the program. Good luck with your medical school applications! How many people were in your cohort? I know the website said class sizes were small, also do they do interviews to get into the program?

Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better because as you said there isn't much information about the program. Good luck with your medical school applications! How many people were in your cohort? I know the website said class sizes were small, also do they do interviews to get into the program?

There were about 20-30 in my cohort that started in August. But our classes were usually combined with the cohort that started in May, so you get to know everyone and become close which I appreciated! We still hang out even after we graduated :) And yes, I had one interview with Dr. G but I remember it being very casual.

There were about 20-30 in my cohort that started in August. But our classes were usually combined with the cohort that started in May, so you get to know everyone and become close which I appreciated! We still hang out even after we graduated :) And yes, I had one interview with Dr. G but I remember it being very casual.
Did you get into medical school?

Did you get into medical school?

I did! Ended up getting two MD interviews: 1 acceptance and 1 waitlist. My classmate also just got accepted into a DO program.

Reactions: 1 user
I did! Ended up getting two MD interviews: 1 acceptance and 1 waitlist. My classmate also just got accepted into a DO program.
Congratulations. I'm thinking of applying. Can I pm you?