List of online MPH programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Umass online nutrition program requires 3-5 years of relevant post-bac experience!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any DMU students out there that would like to post their experience with the program...thinking about applying...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever done the University of Liverpool online MPH? I would be interested in finding out if anyone knows about this?

Also, what kind of jobs can you find after you completed your MPH?

I am an International trained dentist. I live in sanjose. I would like to know what kind of job
do we get ofter the MPH program? How is the program Is it interesting?

Last edited:
Any DMU students out there that would like to post their experience with the program...thinking about applying...

How hard is it to be admitted in the MPH program within these schools?

Do online MPH program have the same pre-requisites as on-campus as regard GRE, sessions deadline? I read somewhere that with online program, you don't need GRE, is it true?

Do online MPH program have the same pre-requisites as on-campus as regard GRE, sessions deadline? I read somewhere that with online program, you don't need GRE, is it true?

Im looking at their admission pages and some of them say that if you have a doctoral level degree you don't need t take the GREs.

My husband just completed his MPH through UNE. It is 100% online and accredited by CEPH. He didn't have to take the GRE for admission either and the cost was pretty reasonable too.

The website to the program is www.une.edu/publichealth.

I'm currently a student in the online MPH program at MSU (Go Spartans!) The program isn't CEPH at the moment, but the school has plans to apply for the accreditation. Tuition is $660/credit and its a 43 credit program. Also, the program is jointly sponsored by the College of Human Medicine and the College of Osteopathic Medicine at MSU. For those that may be looking for a way to enhance their medical school application, the Osteopathic program offers the BRIDGE program. Essentially, you finish an MPH and take 15 credits of hard sciences along the way. Anyone want any info on the program, feel free to send me a note or take a peek at the following website: http://publichealth.msu.edu/pph/

To update some information provided about DMU, they DO require the GRE. This requirement was put in place this year (2012). And tuition for 2012/2013 is now 522/hr (still probably the cheapest).

Anyone apply for Spring 2013 there? I've applied and am getting antsy to hear back, supposedly 'Mid-October' is when they should let prospective students know...and it's mid-October :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I can answer my own question. I was accepted today! I don't know how hard it was to get in...but here are my stats if it helps:

GRE: Q152 V157 W5.0
GPA: 3.15 B.S. Microbiology
Experience: RPCV, 4.5 years in Clinical Research Data Management

Mark, I'll let you know how it is in the Spring!

U of Southern California is starting a fully online MPH program with 3 (I think) concentration choices.

Acceptance dilemma
Hi,Guys,
I am an international student accepted for MPH fully online in two universities.
Please help me to decide which one to accept?
1. University of New England(UNE)MAINE concentration general- tuition- 22000, Actually they forgot to email me acceptance, then after my repeated reminders sent me confirmation. total credits-46

2. Nova southeastern university(NSU)FLORIDA-concentration general- tuition-28000-very responsive, good communication- requires one week visit at the end of the program(tourist visa??).
I am basically looking to have an MPH degree as a spring board for future doctoral programs/ maybe (less likely) job oppurtunities
Thanks in advance

Reactions: 1 user
well, my research is complete, and it looks like the only programs that are 100% online with no campus visit are the DO schools with a school of public health.
the list shown by the ceph is not accurate

Last edited:
GW will be offering a fully online MPH in the very near future: http://publichealthonline.gwu.edu/

:laugh: Haha- was just about to mention GWU; applications just opened up I believe. That being said there are some in the student body who arent super happy about it. Petitions are being submitted as we speak. Either way its the same academic standards for matriculation and CEPH but without SOPHAS.

My husband just completed his MPH through UNE. It is 100% online and accredited by CEPH. He didn't have to take the GRE for admission either and the cost was pretty reasonable too.

The website to the program is www.une.edu/publichealth.

Can you shed some light on his experience at UNE?
What were his job prospects post graduation?

How do medical schools view online MPH programs like these? Can they be used in a way similar to post-baccs or SMPs, or are they really for people who already have experience in the healthcare field

These are not SMPs and will not be viewed as such (unless you look at the MPH Bridge program at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine or the Global Health MPH at University of Southern California; they are the closest things to an SMP that you'll find in an MPH). An MPH may be looked at as an interesting EC; thats the feedback that I have gotten regarding my MPH as I have interviewed at several medical schools. My MPH is online from Michigan State University but no one that I have interviewed with has said anything about the degree being online. These degrees aren't explicitly for people that already work in healthcare or something related. Some programs do require previous experience in healthcare or public health but many don't. You just have to research the various programs.

How do medical schools view online MPH programs like these? Can they be used in a way similar to post-baccs or SMPs, or are they really for people who already have experience in the healthcare field

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SDN Mobile

SMP stands for Special Masters Program. These are designed for folks that want to pursue medical, vet, pharmacy school, etc... You take classes in the medical sciences as a way to strengthen your application to one of the aforementioned professional programs. Take a look at Georgetown or U of Cincinnati SMP for an example if how these programs are structured.

EC stands for extracurriculars...

smp = ?
ec = ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SDN Mobile

Any idea about MPH at Kaplan University? Been thinking about it and any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

you probably want a ceph recognized school so the job market can be wide open for you, no?

Elmhurst College has a mostly-online MPH, though I'm not sure about CEPH (it doesn't say, so I'm assuming not). This fall 2013 is its first year. There is a practicum requirement, which is the only non-online portion.

Also, the application is free.

http://public.elmhurst.edu/master_public_health

Last edited:
The Umass online nutrition program requires 3-5 years of relevant post-bac experience!

On top of experience they are picky about what degrees they accept for admittance. I applied to Umass. They would not accept my PharmD as a prerequisite degree. They wanted a bachelors degree or higher. I had the credits for a bachelors degree but never applied for graduation so I could maintain my schools cheaper undergrad tuition rate.Anyone know of an online mph program that accepts a pharmd as a prerequisite?

As far as online programs only GW or UNE looks legit. Is the 620 an hour or UNE for out of state students as well?

The University of South Florida - MPH in Global Disaster and Humanitarian Relief is completely online and they offer this specific program at a Reduced Tuition Rate for Out-of-State and International students that is comparable to In-State tuition.

The reduced tuition rate ended up being half of what out-of-state tuition normally is.

Great program, highly recommend it!

http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/omph_gdmhr.htm

Acceptance dilemma
Hi,Guys,
I am an international student accepted for MPH fully online in two universities.
Please help me to decide which one to accept?
1. University of New England(UNE)MAINE concentration general- tuition- 22000, Actually they forgot to email me acceptance, then after my repeated reminders sent me confirmation. total credits-46

2. Nova southeastern university(NSU)FLORIDA-concentration general- tuition-28000-very responsive, good communication- requires one week visit at the end of the program(tourist visa??).
I am basically looking to have an MPH degree as a spring board for future doctoral programs/ maybe (less likely) job oppurtunities
Thanks in advance

I would make sure the program you choose is CEPH/ASPPH certified and accredited. VERY IMPORTANT!!! I did not see NOVA Southeastern University on the list; honestly never heard of the University! Some positions, government positions, USPHS and other doctoral programs will not accept a non-accredited program. This really should help with your decision!

http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=200

I have actually never seen an International student - MPH tuition rate so low, are you sure this is not the in-state tuition rate???

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've visited this thread. I forgot that I created it! If anyone wants to take the time to update the list with all of the current online programs, let me know and I will edit the first post.

Also this website lists a bunch of programs and has columns for whether they are campus or online or both, and CEPH or not. http://mphprogramslist.com/schools/ Not sure who does the site and if it is ultimately trying to make money somehow... Also may not be up to date, e.g. the Oregon Health & Science U is listed as Campus only, but they have an online master's now. And not all school pages have links to their own websites. But it's a handy list that might help you find a school you didn't know about.

If anyone is interested in a Master of Public Health (MPH) in Global Disaster Management & Humanitarian Relief at the University of South Florida, it is offered completely On-line! Furthermore the program was granted a REDUCED Tuition Rate for Out-of-State and International students that is actually comparable to In-State tuition and the USF College of Public Health is CEPH Certified.

http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/omph_gdmhr.htm

They also have other MPH degree concentrations that are completely online as well!

It looks like Berkeley also has an (85%) online MPH. Here is an article about the launch of the program

http://www.dailycal.org/2011/12/09/uc-berkeley-school-of-public-health-to-launch-online-degree-program

and here is the program website.

http://onlinemph.berkeley.edu

I'm enrolled in this program, taking my second class. There are two on-campus summer class requirements. It's slated for 2.5 years but you can start doubling up classes after your first semester if you want to get through it faster. It's spendy, but it might be one of the most (if not the most) prestigious university offering an online MPH program... Professors, other students, and TAs all seem solid. Class difficulty varies: my current class (probability and statistics) would be v difficult if I hadn't majored in econ undergrad. Overall it's been a good experience, I would recommend it.

I'm in the online University of New England (UNE) MPH program if anyone has any questions. So far I am really enjoying it and learning a lot as well.

I would make sure the program you choose is CEPH/ASPPH certified and accredited. VERY IMPORTANT!!! I did not see NOVA Southeastern University on the list; honestly never heard of the University! Some positions, government positions, USPHS and other doctoral programs will not accept a non-accredited program. This really should help with your decision!

http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=200

I have actually never seen an International student - MPH tuition rate so low, are you sure this is not the in-state tuition rate???
Hi,
Al you friends take my word! I am just graduating in 2 months form the NOVA MPH program.
It is completely online and the tuition is around 550$per credit hour.(42 credits) It is accredited by the CEPH/ASPH, well into its renewal 4th time. Courses are taught onsite also(If anybody wants). I thoroughly enjoyed the program except for 2 Professors, whom I felt are out of sync! The best part is, I could complete the whole program in 1.5 years(I started in January 2013). They are little flexible with the Field experience also!

I'm in the online University of New England (UNE) MPH program if anyone has any questions. So far I am really enjoying it and learning a lot as well.
Hi, I'm considering applying to UNE's online MPH program. Can you give me more details about the program? Is it expensive? What are the classes like? Is the workload manageable for students working a full-time job? Any info you can give will be helpful. Thanks and good luck in your program!!!

Hi, I'm considering applying to UNE's online MPH program. Can you give me more details about the program? Is it expensive? What are the classes like? Is the workload manageable for students working a full-time job? Any info you can give will be helpful. Thanks and good luck in your program!!!

I don't think the program is expensive for the # of credits it is. For my class it's 46 credits @ $635/credit. For comparative purposes, I was also looking at a MS degree that was 33 credits @ $780/credit.

The classes are split up into groups of 12-20 students (my class has 60 total students) so we can better respond to discussion posts. I spend around 15-20 hours on the course each week. My first course required six 3-4 page papers and two 5-8 page papers - but they required a lot of extra research. If you're not used to writing in AMA format, it can be a little challenging at first but it gets easier as you go through the papers (which is exactly why they assign so many). I enjoy the classes; you collaborate a lot with your fellow students and it's interesting to hear their backgrounds. I have learned a lot about public health through my research - information that is shocking and saddening, but inspiring too.

Yes, it is manageable for someone working a full-time job, and a lot of my classmates are full-time workers. You take 2 classes/semester (6 credits, usually) which is entirely do-able as long as you are good with time management and use your time wisely. It's difficult only if you make it difficult.

Overall I am really enjoying it. Please let me know if you have any other questions (or feel free to PM me)!

Hi,
Al you friends take my word! I am just graduating in 2 months form the NOVA MPH program.
It is completely online and the tuition is around 550$per credit hour.(42 credits) It is accredited by the CEPH/ASPH, well into its renewal 4th time. Courses are taught onsite also(If anybody wants). I thoroughly enjoyed the program except for 2 Professors, whom I felt are out of sync! The best part is, I could complete the whole program in 1.5 years(I started in January 2013). They are little flexible with the Field experience also!

I did my MPH online at nova in 3 semesters (fall, winter, & summer.) It was very affordable as well. I highly recommend it and they are CEPH accredited.

Posted using SDN Mobile

$23,000 is not affordable for an MPH from an unranked school.

As long as the MPH program is CEPH accredited, which Nova's is, I don't think it matters. My generalist MPH from Nova allowed me to get an entry level job in clinical research, because I had experience in everything from biostats / epi to policy. I started at 40k with full benefits + some stock options with the ability to go to 60k within a 180 day review. In addition, my GF who's in DO school has some friends who did their MPH at Tulane (100k+) and couldn't find any work for a year or 2, hypothetically they still could be looking for work if they weren't in DO school. Do I regret my MPH? No. However, I do believe that the MPH is most useful with a clinical side degree such as an RN/PA/DO/MD etc...

I don't know of anyone who would call an M.D. a side degree.

I didn't mean it like that, I meant that any clinical degree with an MPH is more beneficial in general. My dad was a D.O. surgeon, so I know that it is not a side degree, sorry for the poor wording.

I'm enrolled in this program, taking my second class. There are two on-campus summer class requirements. It's slated for 2.5 years but you can start doubling up classes after your first semester if you want to get through it faster. It's spendy, but it might be one of the most (if not the most) prestigious university offering an online MPH program... Professors, other students, and TAs all seem solid. Class difficulty varies: my current class (probability and statistics) would be v difficult if I hadn't majored in econ undergrad. Overall it's been a good experience, I would recommend it.
I'd add Tulane to that list.