Listen to the naysayers or why I left medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I got through the entire thread. I have to admit I'm a bit discouraged from pursuing Medicine after reading this. The most discouraging thing isn't that Medical School is hard and requires a lot of sacrifice , it's that he felt he had to let Med School go to retain a relationship with his wife and family. I guess I'm in the same boat as I would see all of this could be worth it for a family not in place of it. I'd imagine at some point there would be more of a balance of family life and work life. I get the impression even with many of the Attending Physicians their career will always come first even above their family. No balance in life leads to misery ultimately. Some here paint a picture with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I got through the entire thread. I have to admit I'm a bit discouraged from pursuing Medicine after reading this. The most discouraging thing isn't that Medical School is hard and requires a lot of sacrifice , it's that he felt he had to let Med School go to retain a relationship with his wife and family. I guess I'm in the same boat as I would see all of this could be worth it for a family not in place of it. I'd imagine at some point there would be more of a balance of family life and work life. I get the impression even with many of the Attending Physicians their career will always come first even above their family. No balance in life leads to misery ultimately. Some here paint a picture with no light at the end of the tunnel.
If this thread has made you think twice, and especially if it makes you give up altogether, then OP has done you a massive favor. Seriously.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If this thread has made you think twice, and especially if it makes you give up altogether, then OP has done you a massive favor. Seriously.

Possibly. I haven't thrown in the towel yet. I continue to read through these forums.

I think probably one of the biggest obstacles is the personality type that seems to pervade throughout Medicine. It seems people are so hostile, passive-aggressive, cynical, putting each other down constantly. It doesn't seem like people in general are enjoying their lives. Laugh a little. tell a joke. make someone smile, build them up.. You can cut the cold tension of the room with a knife.

All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy.. so they say.. I don't know. forum lurking continues..

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly. I haven't thrown in the towel yet. I continue to read through these forums.

I think probably one of the biggest obstacles is the personality type that seems to pervade throughout Medicine. It seems people are so hostile, passive-aggressive, cynical, putting each other down constantly. It doesn't seem like people in general are enjoying their lives. Laugh a little. tell a joke. make someone smile, build them up.. You can cut the cold tension of the room with a knife.

All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy.. so they say.. I don't know. forum lurking continues..
You do have a lot of unhappy people but most of my dr friends are in general happy. They hate paperwork, admin, gov, insurance, etc that interfere with their treating patients. Medicine is not a field of rainbows and kittens (well sometimes in peds...lol) and too many go into in with skewed perceptions, which leaves them very unhappy career wise. Dr Pam Wible has good good Ted talk on physician suicide but also ways to reorganize a practice to make it more enjoyable.

Medicine as a career is likely to get less enjoyable for the near future in the US with reimbursement and paperwork changes coming down the pipe, so if someone is looking for a career with great life balance, great pay, and limited stress it's the wrong field and better to know it now than later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You do have a lot of unhappy people but most of my dr friends are in general happy. They hate paperwork, admin, gov, insurance, etc that interfere with their treating patients. Medicine is not a field of rainbows and kittens (well sometimes in peds...lol) and too many go into in with skewed perceptions, which leaves them very unhappy career wise. Dr Pam Wible has good good Ted talk on physician suicide but also ways to reorganize a practice to make it more enjoyable.

Medicine as a career is likely to get less enjoyable for the near future in the US with reimbursement and paperwork changes coming down the pipe, so if someone is looking for a career with great life balance, great pay, and limited stress it's the wrong field and better to know it now than later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I figure this site probably is filled more with the population that regrets going to Med School. So I take that into account. I've looked as Physician Assistant also. The program is only 2 or 3 years. One thing oddly I find about PAs is that their personalities probably tend to mirror mine more from at least reading on the forums. They seem a bit more light hearted and able to crack a smile and good joke from time to time and be able to identify closely with patients. Most enjoy or seem content with their work, except really only those that wish they would have just went to Medical School instead. Usually the $$ is the primary factor to why though. I'm not sure based on these posts though whether or not I'd be one of those wishing I went to Med School instead.

I figure this site probably is filled more with the population that regrets going to Med School. So I take that into account. I've looked as Physician Assistant also. The program is only 2 or 3 years. One thing oddly I find about PAs is that their personalities probably tend to mirror mine more from at least reading on the forums. They seem a bit more light hearted and able to crack a smile and good joke from time to time and be able to identify closely with patients. Most enjoy or seem content with their work, except really only those that wish they would have just went to Medical School instead. Usually the $$ is the primary factor to why though. I'm not sure based on these posts though whether or not I'd be one of those wishing I went to Med School instead.

One can make excellent money as a PA and have a ton less responsibility/stress. You should shadow some and see if that would be a better path for you!

What you said about giving up everything for what is just in the end a job is true. Everyone sacrifices something to med school, and med school never stops demanding more of you. People generally can't just perform better without losing time spent on something else; your time in med school is already depleted. To gain something in med school, you have to give up something in return. And people who come in with a lot to lose (e.g. kids, spouse, hobbies, etc.), or people for whom the loss of these things is particularly harsh, will have a rough time because these things literally will limit residency options if not sacrificed.

I kind of assumed this, but it's good to have it confirmed. I'm an non-trad pre-med and I've basically eliminated my hobbies and miscellaneous as a test to see if I can handle it - basically boiling things down to the basics. In two months I start school full-time in addition to working full-time. It'll be a good initial test of time/stress-management I'm hoping.

I wouldn't say I regret going to med school, although I probably wouldn't have done it if I had known then what I know now about what medical training would be like. But I didn't know then what I know now, so it doesn't really matter what I would have done if I had been "fully informed."

I will say this: practicing as a physician is very different than training to be a physician. As an attending, you have a lot more ability to control your work and personal life. Don't like your current job? Vote with your feet. Go do a fellowship. (That's what I'm doing.) Join an academic program and become an educator. Work abroad. Cut your hours. There are lots of options, particularly if you are flexible geographically and/or willing to accept lower income.

In contrast, training really does suck a lot of the time, not the least of which because you are pretty much stuck where you are, working long hours whether you want to or not, until you finish. People should know that fact going in. If they don't really, really want to see this thing through to the end, so much so that they are willing to go to hell and back for all those years in training, then they should reconsider their career plans. You can't dabble in becoming a physician. It's all or nothing. So if you don't want to go all-in, you should go for nothing.

And yes, PAs do have a much easier time of it during training, and are probably happier on average than residents are. Comparing the happiness of PAs to attendings is tougher. I don't think my PAs are inherently happier at work than I am. That being said, their job is not equivalent to mine, even though there is significant overlap. I would second the suggestion above that if you are not sure whether you want to be a doc vs a PA that you spend some time shadowing both. Residency does come to an end for physicians, so I wouldn't solely base your decision on what resident life is like. But it's still a factor worth considering when you're pondering whether going to med school is "worth it."

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't say I regret going to med school, although I probably wouldn't have done it if I had known then what I know now about what medical training would be like. But I didn't know then what I know now, so it doesn't really matter what I would have done if I had been "fully informed."

I will say this: practicing as a physician is very different than training to be a physician. As an attending, you have a lot more ability to control your work and personal life. Don't like your current job? Vote with your feet. Go do a fellowship. (That's what I'm doing.) Join an academic program and become an educator. Work abroad. Cut your hours. There are lots of options, particularly if you are flexible geographically and/or willing to accept lower income.

In contrast, training really does suck a lot of the time, not the least of which because you are pretty much stuck where you are, working long hours whether you want to or not, until you finish. People should know that fact going in. If they don't really, really want to see this thing through to the end, so much so that they are willing to go to hell and back for all those years in training, then they should reconsider their career plans. You can't dabble in becoming a physician. It's all or nothing. So if you don't want to go all-in, you should go for nothing.

And yes, PAs do have a much easier time of it during training, and are probably happier on average than residents are. Comparing the happiness of PAs to attendings is tougher. I don't think my PAs are inherently happier at work than I am. That being said, their job is not equivalent to mine, even though there is significant overlap. I would second the suggestion above that if you are not sure whether you want to be a doc vs a PA that you spend some time shadowing both. Residency does come to an end for physicians, so I wouldn't solely base your decision on what resident life is like. But it's still a factor worth considering when you're pondering whether going to med school is "worth it."

I appreciate the detailed response. Age is a big factor for me at 35 now. I wish I did all this earlier. I have no wife or kids. So in that respect, I'm in good shape to enter a highly demanding program like Med School. I'm in great shape physically as I eat decent and work out regularly. << I actually do value that a good bit as I feel like i did when I was 20. It'd be nice to have a family someday though. I get the feeling I'd be an old man starting practice at around 45. Not sure what type of women I'd meet at that age looking to have a family. Probably a gold digging trophy wife that uses and abuses me for cash. :) JK

In all seriousness, I love learning about Medicine. I'm probably in a good place right now to prepare and enter a program. I just have reservations about it all. I don't want to feel 'trapped' like I've read on here. One thing for sure, after all this research if I get accepted and go there is no turning back or dropping out.

I appreciate the detailed response. Age is a big factor for me at 35 now. I wish I did all this earlier. I have no wife or kids. So in that respect, I'm in good shape to enter a highly demanding program like Med School. I'm in great shape physically as I eat decent and work out regularly. << I actually do value that a good bit as I feel like i did when I was 20. It'd be nice to have a family someday though. I get the feeling I'd be an old man starting practice at around 45. Not sure what type of women I'd meet at that age looking to have a family. Probably a gold digging trophy wife that uses and abuses me for cash. :) JK

In all seriousness, I love learning about Medicine. I'm probably in a good place right now to prepare and enter a program. I just have reservations about it all. I don't want to feel 'trapped' like I've read on here. One thing for sure, after all this research if I get accepted and go there is no turning back or dropping out.
I had no husband or kids during training either. If I had still been married to my ex, I would never have gone to medical school. As it was, our relationship couldn't stand the strain of graduate school, which is a lot more flexible than medical training is. I've never wanted to have my own kids, so that was and is a non-issue. And since I'm already in my 40s, I will take license to say that being 45 will NOT make you an old man. :uhno:

In all seriousness, keep challenging yourself to figure out what kind of path is right for you. Being a physician can be a great career for a person who really loves medicine and wants to devote a large chunk of their time and energy to it. But it is not a good career choice for people who want to have "work-life balance" above all else. It's possible to get there eventually, but that's not how the training system is set up. You really do have to sacrifice a significant amount in your personal life for a lot of years. For those people who want a medical career that will allow some job flexibility relatively quickly, PA school is probably a much better option. This is not to suggest that being a PA is an easy job, because it isn't. Our PAs work plenty hard too. But unlike residents, they can quit.

Reactions: 1 user
I had no husband or kids during training either. If I had still been married to my ex, I would never have gone to medical school. As it was, our relationship couldn't stand the strain of graduate school, which is a lot more flexible than medical training is. I've never wanted to have my own kids, so that was and is a non-issue. And since I'm already in my 40s, I will take license to say that being 45 will NOT make you an old man. :uhno:

In all seriousness, keep challenging yourself to figure out what kind of path is right for you. Being a physician can be a great career for a person who really loves medicine and wants to devote a large chunk of their time and energy to it. But it is not a good career choice for people who want to have "work-life balance" above all else. It's possible to get there eventually, but that's not how the training system is set up. You really do have to sacrifice a significant amount in your personal life for a lot of years. For those people who want a medical career that will allow some job flexibility relatively quickly, PA school is probably a much better option. This is not to suggest that being a PA is an easy job, because it isn't. Our PAs work plenty hard too. But unlike residents, they can quit.

I think like many here state I have the draw to want to put myself through torture lol. I've been alone all this time so why worry about it now.

If I plan well, I could put together a pretty good application for next year's application cycle. Not everyone has that type of opportunity. I think I'd be a fool not to go for it.

So I just need to thank my lucky stars I could have an opportunity and relish in the idea that I won't be a considered an old fogey at 45. :)

Wow, I haven't updated this in a while. So it's been 5 years now since I left Medical School. All my classmates are in residency now spread out across the country. I've kept up with a few, they all seem to be doing well and seem to be happy with their choices.

Personally, I've yet to have a single regret about leaving medical school. Me and my family are happy, healthy, and loving life. Career is going excellently, I've had several promotions and will make over 200k this year in salary and bonuses, maxing out all tax advantaged retirement accounts, and enjoy what I'm doing. Currently working on side hustles in real estate and investing. Financially, best decision I've ever made was leaving med school and coming back to Engineering.

TL/DR: Don't regret it for a second, life is great.

Reactions: 13 users
Really interesting thread. Thanks for sharing your journey. Definitely demonstrates how it’s not for everyone and family circumstances should weigh heavily on the decision. You made the best choice.

Reactions: 2 users
"For a job."

You're right. Every position that gives you pay and benefits truly is, once you deduce it enough, just a job. The job of a physician is no different and is not an exception. Becoming a physician and whatever speciality you fall into gives you a particular skillset like any other trade. After all, it is a professional degree. Let's not forget that.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if it's just that. I've been considering other careers and really questioning this path and the end goal. I don't think I want to be a doctor and I'm not sure that I ever wanted to be. I took my interest in the human body and ran with it but now I'm not running and I feel like I'm in the wrong place.
OK, drop the accept so someone who dearly wants to be a doctor right now can have your seat. And don't look back.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure if it's just that. I've been considering other careers and really questioning this path and the end goal. I don't think I want to be a doctor and I'm not sure that I ever wanted to be. I took my interest in the human body and ran with it but now I'm not running and I feel like I'm in the wrong place.

If you're unsure, drop it before you're >$100k in debt. Also, as Goro said, there are people who are sure in line behind you.

Reactions: 1 user