Listening To Music During A Procedure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not w/ headphones or anything (that would be rude :D) but from a speaker system.

For those already in practice, do you have music already compiled or do you play the radio (or none at all)? In dental school, do you have music in the clinic/sim lab or can you only hear drills?

Do patients ever mind? Is it distracting?

Members don't see this ad.

Not w/ headphones or anything (that would be rude :D) but from a speaker system.

For those already in practice, do you have music already compiled or do you play the radio (or none at all)? In dental school, do you have music in the clinic/sim lab or can you only hear drills?

I've had XM in my office (each operatory + the waiting area have built in speakers in the ceiling) for about 5 years now. Love it. Prior to that we had music playing from the local radio station over the system (could get kind of weird as a few hours a day they had some call-in/talk programming and some of the topics were kind of out there to say the least :eek: )

I like it, my business partner likes it, our staff likes it, and patients like the music in the background. We generally have the adult contemporary channel of XM playing, although somedays we'll have classic rock, country, os sometimes a theme specific channel (holiday music, Jimmy Buffet, etc) playing.

The dentist I work for,plays all kinds of music depending on the patients age.I had to reply to this post to ask you a question...How do you remember your user id to log in?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
^I know, its sooo loonggg!!! & the numbers

the numbers are saved on my browser (or it's a combo of my pin and social ;))

Not only do we have it, but we need it. The design of our office has no doors. We use well placed speakers to cover the sounds in other rooms. It works quite well.

We also use a satellite radio system. The only problem we have is the staff fights over which channel we will lessen to an a given day. I don't care as long as I hear something different each day.

I've actually never seen a dental office with doors...unusual?

We offer our patients a selection of Internet radio stations as well as about 300 movies to choose from.

i've shadowed at quite a few practices where there were no doors. i rather like it; each room feels a lot more open and the chairs are arranged in such a away that privacy is still possible.

the omfs i shadowed had two operating rooms. one for local and the other for general anesthesia. in the general room he had a radio playing all the time or a cd player/portable stereo. they cranked it up once the patient was under :)

in the endo practice each room had it's own speaker system and the dentists changed the station according to their or the patient's personal preference. theirs was a practice with no doors but endo procedures are generally quiet. at least the ones I watched, so the music didn't really have to cover anything up.

personally as a patient, i prefer an office with music. it gives me something to listen to while i sit there. which just reminds me of how my last two dentists were both hummers, like practically right into my mouth, and it was actually pretty amusing more than anything.

I just hooked up a laptop to the speaker system at my work. You just need a sound adapter. Then you can make your own play lists with grooveshark or any other service. It's great because there are so many great radio stations online without all the commercials.

In my last office I had XM and I would let the staff decide which station to listen to. I also had Bose noise reduction headphones in all the ops so that the patient could listen to the TV or to an iPod.

Prior to that we listened to the radio and like DrJeff said in his post it was sometimes distracting because of annoying commercials. I also had CD players in the ops and had a library of CD's available at the front desk. That was a pain to keep track of. iPods rule!

I just hooked up a laptop to the speaker system at my work. You just need a sound adapter. Then you can make your own play lists with grooveshark or any other service. It's great because there are so many great radio stations online without all the commercials.

OK off topic but your avatar RULES!! Zap Rowsdower, a great Canadian hero!:laugh: