Listing parent for shadowing on AMCAS...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlife52525

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered but is it okay to list a parent on AMCAS for shadowing? My dad is in primary care and I spent two weeks shadowing him all day in our family run clinic for about 60ish hours (2 years ago) and I wanted to list it but I wasn't sure how it would look...I've spent WAY more time than this over the years in the clinic, sometimes shadowing and a lot of times doing administrative stuff...

I have 20 hours in outpatient cardiology and 24 in gastroenterology that I will put on my app so one of them can be my primary contact, but I know primary care is important and I've written my app to align with my career goal of becoming a PCP. I have 300ish paid hours of scribing in our family-run clinic (Is it okay to list the receptionist as a contact reference?..Adcoms will know if they google but this was a paid job and I openly discuss assisting in our family clinic in my PS) and then 600ish hours as an ER scribe so there is plenty of clinical experience...

Is it okay for me to list him and follow up with a sentence or two focusing on what I saw//learnt? I just don't want to be looked out down for listing him because obviously adcoms will know he's my dad

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I shadowed my parent and no one gave me crap about it. It’s fine
Thank you for the response! On AMCAS, did you literally say I shadowed Dr. XX for XX hours and saw X, Y, Z? Was this also your only or biggest shadowing experience

Members don't see this ad :)
1) is it okay to list a parent on AMCAS for shadowing? My dad is in primary care and I spent two weeks shadowing him all day in our family run clinic for about 60ish hours (2 years ago) and I wanted to list it but I wasn't sure how it would look...I've spent WAY more time than this over the years in the clinic, sometimes shadowing and a lot of times doing administrative stuff...

I have 20 hours in outpatient cardiology and 24 in gastroenterology that I will put on my app so one of them can be my primary contact, but I know primary care is important and I've written my app to align with my career goal of becoming a PCP.

2) I have 300ish paid hours of scribing in our family-run clinic (Is it okay to list the receptionist as a contact reference?..Adcoms will know if they google but this was a paid job and I openly discuss assisting in our family clinic in my PS) and then 600ish hours as an ER scribe so there is plenty of clinical experience...

3) Is it okay for me to list him and follow up with a sentence or two focusing on what I saw//learnt? I just don't want to be looked out down for listing him because obviously adcoms will know he's my dad
1) Yes, this will be fine. Many applicants with physician parents use that connection to gain experience.

2) Yes, using the receptionist as a Contact is fine for the scribing and the shadowing, or a business manager, or the nurse manager. Using a more objective verifier is desirable.

3) Yes. But don't use a parent as an LOR writer. THAT would be seriously looked down on.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the response! On AMCAS, did you literally say I shadowed Dr. XX for XX hours and saw X, Y, Z? Was this also your only or biggest shadowing experience

I put the contact info of the doctors and how many hours but didn't go into any detail on what I saw. I saved those anecdotes for interviews and secondaries. It was my biggest shadowing but I had seen a few other specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn
1) Yes, this will be fine. Many applicants with physician parents use that connection to gain experience.

2) Yes, using the receptionist as a Contact is fine for the scribing and the shadowing, or a business manager, or the nurse manager. Using a more objective verifier is desirable.

3) Yes. But don't use a parent as an LOR writer. THAT would be seriously looked down on.

Thank you!
For #2, the clinic only has the doctor, receptionist and a medical assistant. Whom would you recommend I put?