Listing Research Abstract on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamBloodAndGuts

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what is fair game for my AMCAs activities. The PI in charge of the research that I assist in submitted an abstract for our project to be orally presented at the ASGSR conference (Oct. 31st - Nov 3rd, 2018). Is this something that I could list on my application, or is it too far in the future to be listed?

Also, is a poster presentation at my university's annual symposium something that is relevant, or is it viewed as insignificant?

I have a lot of experiences outside of research, but not a lot in regards to research, specifically publications. I want to show that I've done research, but I also don't want to seem like I'm grasping for straws and listing insignificant works.

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what is fair game for my AMCAs activities.
1) The PI in charge of the research that I assist in submitted an abstract for our project to be orally presented at the ASGSR conference (Oct. 31st - Nov 3rd, 2018). Is this something that I could list on my application, or is it too far in the future to be listed?

2) Also, is a poster presentation at my university's annual symposium something that is relevant, or is it viewed as insignificant?

I have a lot of experiences outside of research, but not a lot in regards to research, specifically publications. I want to show that I've done research, but I also don't want to seem like I'm grasping for straws and listing insignificant works.
1) A submitted abstract isn't worth listing. An accepted abstract would be, even though the conference presentation is in the future, provided you are listed as an author (not a contributor, nor as an acknowledgement).

2) It's a good experience, and can be mentioned in the same space as the affiliated research. I'd discourage using a Posters space, since a university research symposium inclusion gets little peer-review. Oftn participation is required if you are getting course credit for doing the research.

1) A submitted abstract isn't worth listing. An accepted abstract would be, even though the conference presentation is in the future, provided you are listed as an author (not a contributor, nor as an acknowledgement).

2) It's a good experience, and can be mentioned in the same space as the affiliated research. I'd discourage using a Posters space, since a university research symposium inclusion gets little peer-review. Oftn participation is required if you are getting course credit for doing the research.

Thank you!! I am listed as a co-author, so I guess my follow up would be - Should I wait to hear back about the status of the abstract before submitting my AMCAs? I feel like I'm pretty late on submitting, so I don't want to delay any more than I need to. They said that abstract notifications will be emailed no sooner than July 30th, but that's the best case scenario. I guess that I could put it in the description of my research experience instead of listing separately?

Thanks again! :)

I am listed as a co-author, so I guess my follow up would be - Should I wait to hear back about the status of the abstract before submitting my AMCAs? I feel like I'm pretty late on submitting, so I don't want to delay any more than I need to. They said that abstract notifications will be emailed no sooner than July 30th, but that's the best case scenario. I guess that I could put it in the description of my research experience instead of listing separately?
I would not wait on this to submit your primary application to AMCAS. Nor would I add it to the research description. An abstract acceptance mentioned on Secondaries (where an appropriate prompt is provided) and update letters (where allowed) will give you some fresh material to provide. The submission alone is relatively meaningless.

Reactions: 1 user