Live with classmates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahLorraine

P3
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you live with your classmates?? It sounds like a good idea in some ways...but it also seems like an awful lot of time with (or around at the very least) the same 1 or 2 people.

You'd be working on the same things at the same times, which would probably be helpful. But maybe it is better to live with someone from another year or in a different program.

What are your thoughts on this subject? I'm going to Mercer in the fall and I'm starting to think about my living situation.

Members don't see this ad.

A good rule of thumb is: If you move in with your best friend, they won't be your best friend when the lease is up.

Since you probably don't know many of your classmates, you might be giving the wheel a spin when you move in with someone. You have no idea if they're clean or not, how social they are, etc. It could be a dream experience or a chance to flex those communications muscles. :smuggrin:

I wouldn't fear it, though. I think most students in my class are currently living in unofficial dorms (they're dorms in everything but title) with 2-4 people per apartment. Minor issues aside, they all make it to class, and it looks like they do get to take advantage of the opportunity to study with each other quite a bit.

By the school I want to go to on craigslist I always see 1 person "effieciency" rooms advertised. Are these a good option?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
By the school I want to go to on craigslist I always see 1 person "effieciency" rooms advertised. Are these a good option?

I thought about living alone too... but I do enjoy company. Most studio/efficiency apartments I have seen do not have washer/dryer hook ups...boo.

I lived alone throughout undergrad. In pharmacy school I lived with three of my classmates (2 girls and us 2 guys). It was okay, some stupid drama here and there that was pretty much unavoidable but we've become best friends and ended up living together for 3 years throughout pharmacy school.

Like pharm B wrote, it may work out, it may out. I moved in w/ 2 girls in my class after the 1st year (and will probably be staying for the rest of pharmacy school because moving's a b****). One of the girls I am closer friends with and get along with her slightly better just because we have more similar attitudes about politics, life, etc. and the other girl is sweet as can be but we just don't see eye to eye on everything. Then again, the first roommate and I are rarely home because we're either at work/our respective boyfriend's places so I think it works out fine haha.

i personally do not recommend it: the risk of drama

i dont know how big that school is, but if they offer different programs, try to room with one of those students....for ex., my school was a md/pharm combo school(aside from the masters programs it offered), so I just roomed with a MD student....it worked out perfectly: the only time we saw each other was in the apt in the evening time a few times a week and thats it

HOWEVER, i do recommend to share a apartment, cutting costs by half is so worth it!!!

If you must share housing - choose different disciplines (rx ppl tend toward perfectionism) or other years (WHAT did you get on your midterm?).

Seriously, though, the cost of living in some areas in addition to $$$ tuition, could break the bank if you'd want to live alone to avoid drama.

just do the math out, and see whats best for you

but here is a sample of things you could save on:

time warner internet is 50 per, cut it in half to 25
electric for us was 80 per, cut it to 40
rent was 600, cut it to 300 (the studios were 400, so I was still saving money of that!!! + we had a bigger place than the studio)

those were our monthly expenditures, so my saving was: 25 + 40 + 100 (difference my cost and cost of studio) = 165 per month, multiply that by however many months you are in school, and the savings are awesome

however, i do know some roomates in same class who couldnt get along for various reasons (competition, jealousy, etc.), so choose carefully, but definitely share an apt

I've lived alone the entire semester, and it's a whole lot better than having a room mate. Even though it is quite expensive to pay for everything myself, having a lot of privacy and freedom is worth it to me, IMO.

I wouldn't want a classmate as a room mate though. We might be competitive and rant about work and/or school, and we might get tired of it very quickly.

How many of you live with your classmates?? It sounds like a good idea in some ways...but it also seems like an awful lot of time with (or around at the very least) the same 1 or 2 people.

You'd be working on the same things at the same times, which would probably be helpful. But maybe it is better to live with someone from another year or in a different program.

What are your thoughts on this subject? I'm going to Mercer in the fall and I'm starting to think about my living situation.

I rent a room out of someone's house that I found on craigslist. I couldn't be happier with how it worked out. I like my classmates but living with them? No thanks.

I lived in such an apartment during my first year, mainly because I was new to town. I did have my own bathroom, and a small storage room in the back that could have been used as a bedroom, although I chose to set up my bed in the main room and it doubled as my couch.

Over the next 3 years, I lived with a film major, a psychology major (my sister, BTW) and a communications major. The non-sister roommates were co-workers at the restaurant where I worked during school - and there were NO other pharmacy students employed there during the whole 3 1/2 years I was there! Not sure why. When I started, I was in my organic year, and there was a former pharmacy student who changed majors when she failed a certain notorious sophomore-year class, and she told me, "Get out now, while you still have brain cells." :laugh:

She left not long afterwards, because she had graduated and got another job. My in-school pharmacy experience came from 2nd jobs I took during the summer.

Many of my classmates lived together. I just couldn't have done that, because I really liked being around non-pharmacy people on occasion.

So, in other words, if you can avoid it, don't.

p.s. The roommates all moved out because they graduated and got jobs in other cities.

A group of us moved to the same complex together, mostly in the same class. It worked out great- we knew when someone had work to do, had multiple apartments in case someone needed space, and all had the same free time so we could go out/relax together. We are all still very close even after finishing school and moving apart. We had our issues, but all roommates do. I think if you make sure you have some personal space sharing with a classmate should be fine.