Living arrangements while waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phosphorus pet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many people must be in this same situation:

Currently, I have one acceptance and three waitlists. If accepted off the waitlist, I will withdraw my previous acceptance and begin enrolling at the new school.

However, I have no idea what to do about a place to live for next year in the time being. Do people generally just wait until the day before classes to move in if they plan to wait it out for a waitlist acceptance? This sounds absurd to me. Is there a better way to do it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation as you and I've been wondering about this too. Especially for schools that don't have dorms, how are we supposed to find an apt and move in and everything, if we get off the waitlist, in say late July?? And also find a roommate?

definitely go ahead and make living arrangements for where you are accepted right now, just in case. i know several people who got in off the waitlist in july last year that had no problems finding places.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
drmota said:
definitely go ahead and make living arrangements for where you are accepted right now, just in case. i know several people who got in off the waitlist in july last year that had no problems finding places.
-mota

This was my original thought, but if i find a place at my current acceptance, I know I will have to sign into a lease. I dont really want to end up paying for two places - even if that is for only three months.

Anyone know of anybody who has eschewed this problem?

phosphorus pet said:
This was my original thought, but if i find a place at my current acceptance, I know I will have to sign into a lease. I dont really want to end up paying for two places - even if that is for only three months.

Anyone know of anybody who has eschewed this problem?

If you lose the deposit on an apartment, you're talking about what? 500 bucks? 1000 bucks?

This is when you're about to get hit with a 150K debt for med school. Unless finances are really really really coming into play, you suck it up and lose the money you put down on the first apartment.

ND2005 said:
If you lose the deposit on an apartment, you're talking about what? 500 bucks? 1000 bucks?

This is when you're about to get hit with a 150K debt for med school. Unless finances are really really really coming into play, you suck it up and lose the money you put down on the first apartment.

Thats true, its like pennies by comparison and will not matter much if you are at a better school. This is esp. true if you get a better financial package at the school.

The thing that sucks about my situation is that the school I'm waitlisted at is where I live now (Columbia) and the school I'm accepted at is 1000 miles away (SLU). Also, SLU starts on July 31st, and Columbia doesn't start until the end of August... so I'm really losing out on a good month - month and a half of waitlist time. And once I move to STL, there's no turning back... it'll cost $$$ to get there (I have large apt, a husband, two cats, and lots of furniture), and I can't just throw away upwards of $6k and many weeks of my life (and my spouse's life/career) moving to STL and then back to NYC while signing multiple leases.

Sigh. :( Boo for waitlists. :thumbdown:

Yeah, this is tough. I'm worried about being in this situation too. And honestly, what school I end up will depend on how much furniture my husband and I decide to keep. More than 75% of our furniture was donated from other people's houses when we graduated/got married a couple years ago. I we have to move out of state, we're considering leaving a lot of it behind because none of it is REALLY worth keeping and we could get similar stuff pretty cheap probably without the expense of moving it :)

LucidSplash said:
Yeah, this is tough. I'm worried about being in this situation too. And honestly, what school I end up will depend on how much furniture my husband and I decide to keep. More than 75% of our furniture was donated from other people's houses when we graduated/got married a couple years ago. I we have to move out of state, we're considering leaving a lot of it behind because none of it is REALLY worth keeping and we could get similar stuff pretty cheap probably without the expense of moving it :)

Sometimes it's really frustrating that so much of this process is geared toward the "traditional applicant." I really had to focus my applications on places where my husband can get a job (although I couldn't say that in any interviews!) and now moving is a huge and very expensive stress that I know most other matriculants won't be dealing with. The cost of moving a household all the way across the country will be in the multiple $thousands and I know that I'll be decreasing my chances at my number 1 school because of it. Oh well, tis life! I wouldn't give up my husband because of it :D

Wolfgang12345 said:
Sometimes it's really frustrating that so much of this process is geared toward the "traditional applicant." I really had to focus my applications on places where my husband can get a job (although I couldn't say that in any interviews!) and now moving is a huge and very expensive stress that I know most other matriculants won't be dealing with. The cost of moving a household all the way across the country will be in the multiple $thousands and I know that I'll be decreasing my chances at my number 1 school because of it. Oh well, tis life! I wouldn't give up my husband because of it :D

I hear you. I'm lucky in that my #1 chioce is my state school. I'm waiting to hear from them now. I've been accepted to Albany, and if we end up going there it will be a huge pain. Especially since my husband just started in Real Estate and moving out of state is going to being up some very interesting questions. He's still building his business and we're depending on my salary alone right now so while I know loans and whatnot will eventually take care of some of those issues, right now there is a "cashflow" problem. But it'll all get done somehow. I guess I should ask for a credit line increase on my american express though :)

LucidSplash said:
I guess I should ask for a credit line increase on my american express though :)

Eek! That's my worst nightmare!!! :eek: I'm just getting out of credit card debt now from college... I am totally with you on cash flow issue... my husband and I are waiting for his green card to come through (with fingers crossed that it happens before we move to another state - messing up all sorts of governmental paperwork)... and when I quit my job for school, it will definitely make a dent in our lifestyle. But it'll all work out; just gotta take a deep breath and sign all those loans...

Wolfgang12345 said:
Eek! That's my worst nightmare!!! :eek: I'm just getting out of credit card debt now from college... I am totally with you on cash flow issue... my husband and I are waiting for his green card to come through (with fingers crossed that it happens before we move to another state - messing up all sorts of governmental paperwork)... and when I quit my job for school, it will definitely make a dent in our lifestyle. But it'll all work out; just gotta take a deep breath and sign all those loans...

Yes. We were almost out of credit card debt as well and then my husband decided to switch jobs. Add $$$ for all the licensing classes, business expenses, etc and $ for the (hopefully temporary) sudden decrease in his income.

Yeah, so anyone moving to Maryland and wanting buy a house, have I got the Agent for you!! :laugh:

phosphorus pet said:
I know many people must be in this same situation:

Currently, I have one acceptance and three waitlists. If accepted off the waitlist, I will withdraw my previous acceptance and begin enrolling at the new school.

However, I have no idea what to do about a place to live for next year in the time being. Do people generally just wait until the day before classes to move in if they plan to wait it out for a waitlist acceptance? This sounds absurd to me. Is there a better way to do it?

I hear you loud and clear. Similar situation - I on hold/waitlisted at 4 schools and i'm a non-trad. I prolly won't qualify for Fin aid this year cos I own a house. So I need to sell my house and stuff to get another place where ever it is I end up. So the short notice acceptance will be rough. I hope it comes earlier.

Good luck to all

Members don't see this ad :)
It must be tough to think of a whole family...just thinking about one person is hard enough. But here is my question....if you start classes at the school you are accepted at and then find out that you got into another school which has a later start date, can you take it or is it too late/unethical? What are the financial ramifications from the school tuition point of view? Thanks

CaliPlease said:
It must be tough to think of a whole family...just thinking about one person is hard enough. But here is my question....if you start classes at the school you are accepted at and then find out that you got into another school which has a later start date, can you take it or is it too late/unethical? What are the financial ramifications from the school tuition point of view? Thanks

I have heard it stated that once you start the first day of class, you can no longer accept a spot at another school... but this is hearsay, so don't quote me.

Wolfgang12345 said:
I have heard it stated that once you start the first day of class, you can no longer accept a spot at another school... but this is hearsay, so don't quote me.

I've heard this too.

phosphorus pet said:

Keep in mind that (supposedly) the majority of waitlist movement occurs in the 4-6 weeks after May 15. Thus you'll probably know where you're at by the end of June. If you get in, good; if not and the the waitlist is ranked, find out where you are and make a decision; if not and the waitlist is unranked, I say withdraw and begin planning the move.

I am in a similar situation, and my top choice has had waitlist movement as late as July in previous years. My plan is to wait until at least June to start making apartment plans for the school that I'm accepted at. Luckily it's my state school (and close to home) so if worst comes to worst I could live at home or crash with friends until I get it figured out. I recommend you find out when each of your schools start classes - the school that I'm waitlisted at starts classes in early August, and the school I'm accepted at starts classes in late August, so I have some time between the definite "you're not in" and when I have to be would have to start classes.

The one thing I AM concerned about, though, is roommates. I would really like to live with another medical student, but I don't want to bail on someone at the last minute. Does anyone have any thoughts?

diosa428 said:
The one thing I AM concerned about, though, is roommates. I would really like to live with another medical student, but I don't want to bail on someone at the last minute. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I would also like to live with another med student and am wondering how I'll find a roommate if I get accepted really late off the waitlist at my top choice. I need to check with this school but perhaps some schools keep a list of people who are looking for roommates into the summer?

Wolfgang12345 said:
The thing that sucks about my situation is that the school I'm waitlisted at is where I live now (Columbia) and the school I'm accepted at is 1000 miles away (SLU). Also, SLU starts on July 31st, and Columbia doesn't start until the end of August... so I'm really losing out on a good month - month and a half of waitlist time. And once I move to STL, there's no turning back... it'll cost $$$ to get there (I have large apt, a husband, two cats, and lots of furniture), and I can't just throw away upwards of $6k and many weeks of my life (and my spouse's life/career) moving to STL and then back to NYC while signing multiple leases.

Sigh. :( Boo for waitlists. :thumbdown:

I hear ya Wolfgang!! I'm waitlisted at UWashington (starts in september) and WashU (starts mid august) but I've been accepted to u of Missouri, which starts august 1!!! what's up with the early start?! I've heard so many stories of people getting off the waitlist at the very last minute, I am afraid this will happen to me and I will already have committed/matriculated to Mizzou. Wah!! I'm writing a letter to WashU telling them my time sensitive situation so that they can make a decision on me quickly. I'd rather be rejected (but too bad they don't reject people right away from the waitlist)

also I live in St. Louis, so I'd like to make moving plans soon!

I am in the same position as all of you. I think the school that I will be going to as of now starts sometime in august and so does my top choice waitlist. The school I have been accepted to shouldnt be too hard to find a place, but the school I am waitlisted at is in Chicago and may be harder to find a reasonably priced place that late. Liek someone else said I think that most movement will be around May 15th or a few weeks thereafter, so we should get a reasonable idea of where we will be going before getting too stressed about it. The waiting is the annoying part. My graduation stuff is in early june, and if I still dont know by then I think I will go crazy. Honestly I dont really care when it is....as long as it is

Yo at least you guys have acceptances...I'm on two waitlists and I'm going to have to begin the 2007 Amcas unless something happens before June, which isn't very likely. So I have no idea about a) where I'll be b) where i'm going to work if I don't get in c) reapplying....

So just be happy you're in somewhere, i'd gladly worry about school a versus b than not even knowing anything and facing reapplying

Living arrangements while on the WAITLIST???

Please...

1). call adcom
2). assess chance
3). "LIVE IN THE NOW !"

Please...

1). call adcom
2). assess chance
3). "LIVE IN THE NOW !"

What's with the need to post a smart-ass response to a thread that's a year old?

What's with the need to post a smart-ass response to a thread that's a year old?

ya rly....this problem is obviously not an issue to the OP anymore

For those of us who use SDN's "Search" option to find pertinent threads, any old thread is as good as a new one. And if these posts were to help the OP only, they wouldn't be threads in the first place. I'm not here to sift through posts to make conversation.

My a priori judgement is that you are here to be condescending and find an outlet for sexual frustration.

PS - We should be friends.

Please...

1). call adcom
2). assess chance
3). "LIVE IN THE NOW !"

Steps one and two are sound advice and number three isn't bad either, but you have to realize it's not always the best thing for everyone. If someone is unattached and only responsible for and accountable to themselves then living in the now is great and doable. However, to those who have a spouse and child(ren) it isn't always the most practical nor the best advice.

For those of us who use SDN's "Search" option to find pertinent threads, any old thread is as good as a new one. And if these posts were to help the OP only, they wouldn't be threads in the first place. I'm not here to sift through posts to make conversation.

My a priori judgement is that you are here to be condescending and find an outlet for sexual frustration.

PS - We should be friends.

:thumbup: :D