LizzyM&Catalystik&everyone else, please chance my desperate self!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FredAstaire

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here is my stat - please chance me. I will be applying in next May/June.

I spent 6 years in undergrad with a B.sc Honors

cGPA: 3.70
sGPA: 3.63
Best/most recent MCAT total: 35P (12 BS, 11VR, 12 PS).
Possible Red Flags - 4 Voluntary Withdraws spanned through my first 4 years
- Took the MCAT 3 times with 28, and 30 in my previous 2 attempts

ECs include
3 years of total research at 4 different labs with 2 poster presentation
1 year of leadership role for international students through a mentorship program (volunteer)
5 years worth of clinical volunteering at a local hospital (about 500 hours in total)
7 months worth of shadowing a family physician and an internalist (about 50 hours total)

Awards includes
-Canadian Institute of Health Research Graduate Fellowship - 30,000$/2 years
(DECLINED)
-Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Graduate Fellowship - 30,000$/2 years (DECLINED)
-Alberta Health Research Council Graduate Fellowship Award - 30,000$/2 years (DECLINED)
-Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Undergraduate Research Award - 6,000$/summer

I am a Canadian Citizen

I would be happy to get into any MD school!

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on your stats and EC's you are looking at around an 80% chance of acceptance given a good interview and a broad application.

Be ready to explain the withdrawals.

Why did it take you so long to finish your B.sc?

Light course load every year might decreases your chances slightly.

Research is good.
Tutoring looks good.
Leadership looks good.
I don't see much non medical volunteering.

Applying this cycle isn't a good idea, as it's already late October.

Keep volunteering (something non medical). Work on your PS. Get some good LOR's together and apply next cycle.

Based on your stats and EC's you are looking at around an 80% chance of acceptance given a good interview and a broad application.

Be ready to explain the withdrawals.

Why did it take you so long to finish your B.sc?

Light course load every year might decreases your chances slightly.

Research is good.
Tutoring looks good.
Leadership looks good.
I don't see much non medical volunteering.

Applying this cycle isn't a good idea, as it's already late October.

Keep volunteering (something non medical). Work on your PS. Get some good LOR's together and apply next cycle.

It took me 6 years to get my B.sc because I was in a Co-op program, where I spent some semesters working and not taking any classes. In addition, the anthropology minor was another 21 credit hours that did not contribute to my Molecular Biology Honours degree requirement, which is at least 4 years by itself.

I would like to hear more opinions from other people. LizzyM and Catalystik....Im shouting for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I've told you before, your chances are very good at many schools. I'm happy to see the added physician shadowing and nonmedical community service (adult math tutoring), which you didn't list before. I assume these are projections of what you'll have when it comes time to apply in June 2011. Well done.

And I'd doubt very much that the Ws and multiple MCATs will have much impact on your overall chances. Hopefully Nebraska will view your application as positively as I do. Practice your interview skills.

I agree with the above.... the usual, apply early, broadly, and with attention to in-state/out of state issues. You may have a very good shot at the mid-tier private schools. (those ranked in the 20-40 range by US News)