LMU-DCOM Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought about it..but decided against it.....but if there is a good amount of people wearing them...I will too....

I just didn't want to be the only one wearing it...will make me look like a gunning douchebag....which im not :D

I would recommend wearing a tie the first day. Many of my classmates dressed very nice and I decided to wear jeans and a polo (hey, I fit the dress code, I just didnt realize people wear gonna look dressy and I didn't think to ask what people were wearing....oh well). I wasn't the only one who was casual, but was definitely in the minority. I felt a little out of place and wanted to kick myself b/c I felt frumpy, but the next day I saw more jeans, and more the next, and then shorts came out and I felt much better. On Friday of orientation week, you can wear jeans and such b/c you will have classes that afternoon, and same for your first Monday, but look nice for the first day.

You definitely don't need to wear a suit, dress pants and a polo or shirt/tie is just fine.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend wearing a tie the first day. Many of my classmates dressed very nice and I decided to wear jeans and a polo (hey, I fit the dress code, I just didnt realize people wear gonna look dressy and I didn't think to ask what people were wearing....oh well). I wasn't the only one who was casual, but was definitely in the minority. I felt a little out of place and wanted to kick myself b/c I felt frumpy, but the next day I saw more jeans, and more the next, and then shorts came out and I felt much better. On Friday of orientation week, you can wear jeans and such b/c you will have classes that afternoon, and same for your first Monday, but look nice for the first day.

You definitely don't need to wear a suit, dress pants and a polo or shirt/tie is just fine.

So no dress attire for orientation? Do most people wear khakis and dress shirts for regular school days?

I was thinking about wearing a tupac shirt for the first day bc that's how I roll. What is the actual dress code. I remember it wasn't like leocom or is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely going to be doing some school shopping that weekend! I don't think anyone would want to tag along with me though, I'm pretty boring when it comes to shopping, and if my wife isn't there to say "that looks stupid" I'll get myself into a mess :laugh:

That's ok. At least you know where all the shopping places are though. I'm gonna have to mapquest the mall or something before I try to go. And I'm totally going to hit up a applebee's, chillis, or some kinda sit down restaurant while I'm out.

So no dress attire for orientation? Do most people wear khakis and dress shirts for regular school days?

No, dress nice the first day (i.e. khakis and polo/shirt + tie) of orientation, but the other days are more casual.

As for regular school days, you will see anything from shorts to dress pants and polos to dress shirts. It depends on your personality and such. I usually wear jeans and a polo.

That's ok. At least you know where all the shopping places are though. I'm gonna have to mapquest the mall or something before I try to go. And I'm totally going to hit up a applebee's, chillis, or some kinda sit down restaurant while I'm out.
If you need any help finding your way around while you're out, just give me a call. I'll pm you my number. I will likely be out and about that day doing lots 'o shopping, so you shouldn't have any problem getting ahold of me.

That goes for anyone else also. If you want my number pm me and I'll send it back to you. I'm native to the area, and my wife was a born shopper...so we can probably tell you where to find anything.

Thanks Hoss!

I have another random question. Do you think there would be any problems dying my hair a brownish redish color? The not completely unnatural color but the color that really isn't a normal color. Lol I'm really just craving a different hair color. So not as red as sharon osburne goes but maybe more toned down than that. Ok I bet this makes no sense whatsoever. Anyways I've had crazy colors before and I know that won't be acceptable so I'm trying to make a comprimise.

Thanks Hoss!

I have another random question. Do you think there would be any problems dying my hair a brownish redish color? The not completely unnatural color but the color that really isn't a normal color. Lol I'm really just craving a different hair color. So not as red as sharon osburne goes but maybe more toned down than that. Ok I bet this makes no sense whatsoever. Anyways I've had crazy colors before and I know that won't be acceptable so I'm trying to make a comprimise.

Sounds like a fun change :thumbup: I was thinking about going a bit darker myself.

Hey everyone,
I meant to post this sooner, but I just kept forgetting to do it...Targus is having an awesome sale on most of their backpacks. You can't find a nice laptop backpack for under $50...but right now they're having a 25th anniversary sale and some of their top stuff is $25...Half Price! I ordered a really nice looking back yesterday, I was really tempted to order 2 just so I could see which one I liked better.

Anyway, here is the link:
http://www.targus.com/us/promo_25th-anniversary.asp

Also, here is a coupon code for $5 more off:
Gannett8213
So now it's $19.99 for a $50 laptop bag.

Hey everyone,
I meant to post this sooner, but I just kept forgetting to do it...Targus is having an awesome sale on most of their backpacks. You can't find a nice laptop backpack for under $50...but right now they're having a 25th anniversary sale and some of their top stuff is $25...Half Price! I ordered a really nice looking back yesterday, I was really tempted to order 2 just so I could see which one I liked better.

Gannett8213

Thanks for the lead! So does that mean that we aren't getting any sort of bag or case with the computer from DCOM?

Thanks for the lead! So does that mean that we aren't getting any sort of bag or case with the computer from DCOM?

Last year we got a bag from the computer company I think. It was just a zip up case with a shoulder strap. No extra room for books or anything for that matter. It may be a different case this year but it will be whatever comes with the computer probably. I went out on the tax free weekend last year and bought mine. It is a really nice swiss army backpack but it was $65. If the targus sale is going to be on a while wait until you get your computer and see if you like the case you get. If you don't like it then order the one on line.

Members don't see this ad :)

personally, I'm just going to use one of those incase sleeves you see apple computers with all the time...this way I can just throw it in my regular backpack along with my books..instead of carrying 1 backpack and 1 computer bag

when do we get our financial aid refund? and does anyone know how much we get back each semester?

i actually called a few weeks ago regarding this issue. i was told we will receive our loan disbursement on August 8th. I think we'll probably get half the money we took out.

Just FYI for anyone looking for furniture, I'd recommend giving the England outlet in Tazewell a look. We went up there today and scored 2 coffee tables and two end tables for a total of 185 bucks before taxes. Also priced a microfiber queen size pull out sofabed and it was in the 500-600 range. VERY reasonable, in other words. It's open 1-5 Mon. thru Friday and is just "north" (toward Harrogate) of the big pontoon outlet center on the "east" side of the road.

As for the amount of your refund check, it will all depend on how much you took out, if you are on the schools insurance, and whether you're living at the University Apartments. If you have either the insurance or are living at the U. Apts, I'm pretty sure those are both pulled out automatically so you would be refunded less money.

I visited the M.D at the walmart vision center today. He is a very nice older man. He used to be a surgeon and his office has articles of him doing eye transplants, eye repairs, and cornea transplants. I think maybe he wanted to have a more laid back lifestyle in his older years so that is why he is doing eye exams now. So don't be turned off because it's in walmart and he's an MD. It's also a good price if you don't have eye insurance like me. Anyways just wanted to let yall know in case you were wondering why an MD was working at walmart.

I visited the M.D at the walmart vision center today. He is a very nice older man. He used to be a surgeon and his office has articles of him doing eye transplants, eye repairs, and cornea transplants. I think maybe he wanted to have a more laid back lifestyle in his older years so that is why he is doing eye exams now. So don't be turned off because it's in walmart and he's an MD. It's also a good price if you don't have eye insurance like me. Anyways just wanted to let yall know in case you were wondering why an MD was working at walmart.

wow even better....you're getting an opthalmologist for the price of an optometrist...now that's a deal!

Yeah and he is so nice. Gave me a few med school and doctor pointers while I was there.

how many people have already moved into the LMU apartments? I should be there this sunday!

Hey...Can I ask someone that will be there at the LMU apartments for a huge favor?

I'll be arriving around midnight sunday...and I have to bring my tv up in my room...unfortunately, i don't have a cart or any type of thing that will allow me to bring it up to my room myself and I don't want to leave it in the car overnight...does someone mind helping me out? shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.....I don't want to end up dropping it and messing it all up

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Alright well you can help me pick something tomorrow. Although I've always wanted purple...

I had purple hair before!!! LOL! It was FUN! I also had fire engine red. Purple was my favorite. I am getting too many gray hairs, so I am going to have to dye my sooner rather than later. I don't think purple will be the color I choose this time though. :p:D

OK. That makes sense now. I don't blame him for wanting to to enjoy his older years. :)

I had purple hair before!!! LOL! It was FUN! I also had fire engine red. Purple was my favorite. I am getting too many gray hairs, so I am going to have to dye my sooner rather than later. I don't think purple will be the color I choose this time though. :p:D

Oh I'm jealous! I never got to have purple hair and it kinda seems like that may be a lost dream at this point. I did have fire engine red though and that was really fun.

Oh I'm jealous! I never got to have purple hair and it kinda seems like that may be a lost dream at this point. I did have fire engine red though and that was really fun.

AWWWW! :( That stinks. Maybe when you get really old and retire you can do it. It wil be easier to dye that way too because your hair will be lighter and gray. Mine is really dark brown, so I had to bleach it to dye it. I agree, I don't think it is really the image DCOM is going for. :smuggrin: I guess you will just have to hold off on the purple hair for now. :p;)

AWWWW! :( That stinks. Maybe when you get really old and retire you can do it. It wil be easier to dye that way too because your hair will be lighter and gray. Mine is really dark brown, so I had to bleach it to dye it. I agree, I don't think it is really the image DCOM is going for. :smuggrin: I guess you will just have to hold off on the purple hair for now. :p;)

Yeah I dont really need to bleach my hair right now anyways. I also have dark brown hair but it hasn't been that in forever. Dark brown is just too boring for me.

Hey everyone,

Gannett8213

I bought a backpack there today, but the 25th Anniversary sale has ended. I found this coupon code, though, for 25% off, so I still got a pretty good deal: PCSURVEY0208

Are any of you going to be hanging out tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday? My two roomates and I are bored crazy!

Just wondering if any of you will have significant others participating in orientation on Wednesday?

Just wondering if any of you will have significant others participating in orientation on Wednesday?

My husband will be there. He doesn't have anything better to do so I'm making him go.

No, my husband would have to miss work to go to it :( I wonder why they didn't have orientation on a weekend :confused:

why is orientation 3 days long? i know we have a lot to cover but 3 days seems excessive.

why is orientation 3 days long? i know we have a lot to cover but 3 days seems excessive.

There is pomp and circumstance...computer lessons...insurance sign ups... ID cards to be made...white coats to be sized...faculty to introduce...local area info to hand out...protocol etc. Enjoy the down time it doesn't last! lol

As for spouses, our class they had a spouse/SO orientation part of the first day. I would think they are having that again. If your spouse/SO can make it bring them for sure they won't be alone. If they cant make it don't stress they will have other opportunities (ahem missdochopeful). Maybe nascardoc or MJB can chime in more since they actually have spouses...lol

See you all soon I'm on my way back!!!

There is pomp and circumstance...computer lessons...insurance sign ups... ID cards to be made...white coats to be sized...faculty to introduce...local area info to hand out...protocol etc. Enjoy the down time it doesn't last! lol

As for spouses, our class they had a spouse/SO orientation part of the first day. I would think they are having that again. If your spouse/SO can make it bring them for sure they won't be alone. If they cant make it don't stress they will have other opportunities (ahem missdochopeful). Maybe nascardoc or MJB can chime in more since they actually have spouses...lol

See you all soon I'm on my way back!!!

Ask and you shall receive :D

Definitely bring your spouse/SO to the first day of orientation (and only the first day since the other 2 days are for students only). The SAA (Student Advocate Assoc) will be there and that organization is for spouses and SOs. Plus, you will be able to see Mrs. Nascardoc....just look for the cute pregnant one ;). It is really helpful and a nice thing for the spouses to be at b/c it is a special day. Also, remember the BBQ on Friday night, which will be a lot of fun, and the entire family......i.e. spouse/SO, kids......are invited.

Ask and you shall receive :D

Definitely bring your spouse/SO to the first day of orientation (and only the first day since the other 2 days are for students only). The SAA (Student Advocate Assoc) will be there and that organization is for spouses and SOs. Plus, you will be able to see Mrs. Nascardoc....just look for the cute pregnant one ;). It is really helpful and a nice thing for the spouses to be at b/c it is a special day. Also, remember the BBQ on Friday night, which will be a lot of fun, and the entire family......i.e. spouse/SO, kids......are invited.

I'll definitely bring him to the BBQ Friday, but I want him to save his vacation days for the holidays so we can actually do something together!

P.S. I am SO excited for tomorrow :hardy:

I remember being told to bring my checkbook to orientation for SOMA and various other things, but does anyone know if I can do an IOU with my loan money, like with that "student account", like the LMU bookstore uses? I've been using my own money for books and everything else, so it's basically gone now!

i deleted most of the emails about orientation. i know we have to be somewhere by 8:15 but where? the main medical building or the arena?

i deleted most of the emails about orientation. i know we have to be somewhere by 8:15 but where? the main medical building or the arena?

Registration actually ends at 8:15am. It opens at 7:30am, so get there early so you don't lose your seat in the class! Dr. Leo didn't say specifically where, oddly enough, so I assume once you get to the DCOM building, someone will direct you where to go. I was wondering about that also...

Tomorrow is going to be tough since I will have to get up early lol. And don't mind my husband he's gonna be super cranky that he had to get up that early.

Orientation is in the DCOM building and there will be people there to greet you. The biggest thing about orientation is DON'T BE LATE!!! In your emails from Dr. Leo, you should have received a phone number to call in case something does happen, so I would make sure you have that number on hand, just in case. Other than that, enjoy the time!!! Its a great, and scary, feeling knowing that you are about to start a great journey.

Orientation is in the DCOM building and there will be people there to greet you. The biggest thing about orientation is DON'T BE LATE!!! In your emails from Dr. Leo, you should have received a phone number to call in case something does happen, so I would make sure you have that number on hand, just in case. Other than that, enjoy the time!!! Its a great, and scary, feeling knowing that you are about to start a great journey.

I tried searching my emails for that number, however, I can't seem to find it...:confused:

Does anyone have it in case I wake up late?

I tried searching my emails for that number, however, I can't seem to find it...:confused:

Does anyone have it in case I wake up late?

Just have the admissions number on hand if you can't find the number.

And please, if anyone does have the number from the email, please send it in a PM only since it may be a personal number of one of the profs.

Just for clarity regarding review books.....you want to get First Aid for the USMLE. FA for the COMLEX is strictly OMM, there is no biochem, etc. Also, I would highly recommend Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry over the BRS Biochem book. The Lippincotts book is incredibly good and many profs have very good things to say about it. Regarding the BRS series, all of their books are very good, but I would go with Lippincotts for Biochem.

In regards to the boards...you HAVE to take the COMLEX, you don't have a choice. If you want to take the USMLE in addition, then that is your choice, but you have to take the COMLEX to graduate.

Good luck tomorrow with your first class!!!

Thanks Nascardoc,

on a side note, does anyone know where we can use a fax machine around here?