LMU-DCOM Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm guessing people just don't like JcPenny's, Sears, and Belk? I haven't walked around in the actual stores yet but I thought the "mall" was cute. A hell of a lot better than nothing. Besides it's not like I'm gonna have shopping money anyways once I start my budget.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm guessing people just don't like JcPenny's, Sears, and Belk? I haven't walked around in the actual stores yet but I thought the "mall" was cute. A hell of a lot better than nothing. Besides it's not like I'm gonna have shopping money anyways once I start my budget.

Penney's is fine. I like Kohl's. I've never seen the point in spending huge money on clothing, but I'm kind of a hillbilly I guess. :)

Love Sears for tools.

Never been in a Belk.

I think you're absolutely right that the mall is a hell of a lot better than nothing. I grew up in a town where we had NONE of the "modern conveniences". Hell, Wal-Mart coming to town was a big deal. :)

I think the mall in Middlesboro beats anything Kirksville has, but you don't hear about how rural it is. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you looking to go shopping there are great outlet malls in Pigeon Forge. I don't know if that's the same one ND and MJB are talking about it may be. Also I think there is a mall in Morristown about 45 min away (there is a Ruby Tuesday's there too :soexcited:). I've never been to that mall though.

Also I remember last year they did a tax free weekend the beginning of August like the weekend after orientation I believe. This also includes clothes, shoes (seriously) and school supplies like highlighters, backpacks, etc. This is when I bought most of my school clothes and supplies so if you can wait it is worth it. Just remember it's only TN not KY so you'll have to travel a bit.

Finally for our first day most of us were dressed up a bit...special day and all. We also took our ID pics that day so look your camera best lol. After that it was more casual. The rule is collared shirts but no ties required guys. Nice shirts, clean shoes and pants/jeans w/ out holes and you'll be ok. When you see patients though you will be dressed in professional attire (ties, slacks, etc).

Hey all,
I was just wondering if anybody was going to be driving from Knoxville on a daily basis.

Do any of you guys go 4wheeling? I think it would be an awesome break after an exam to chill out and get our mind off school for a bit.

FYI - The hubby and I are from Morristown. The mall in Morristown isn't the greatest but from the last time I was in the Middlesboro mall I would have to say it's alot better. The Wal-Mart is across the street from the mall, several fast food and restaurant eating places in that area and movie theater in the mall as well. From the last time I was there I seem to remember a Bath & Body store, American Eagle, Aeropostle and not least an Auntie Ann's pretzel place:love:. I think there is also an Office Supply store across the street too. It's not a bad drive and real easy to find since it's right off the highway.

Do any of you guys go 4wheeling? I think it would be an awesome break after an exam to chill out and get our mind off school for a bit.

I do...but don't have my own :(

Anyone know if we have to have navy blue scrubs for lab? I'm not the biggest fan of navy blue just wondering if I can get different colors. Tried asking in an email but only one of my questions were answered and not the color question.

Anyone know if we have to have navy blue scrubs for lab? I'm not the biggest fan of navy blue just wondering if I can get different colors. Tried asking in an email but only one of my questions were answered and not the color question.

I would suggest emailing Dr. Leo. I remember Dr. Cross saying something about having the navy scrubs last year, but that was awhile ago and things may have changed.

On another note.......Brett Favre, please, for the love of God, just stay retired, enjoy your wife and kids, and just go away.....PLEASE!!! :smack: :slap: :poke:

I would suggest emailing Dr. Leo. I remember Dr. Cross saying something about having the navy scrubs last year, but that was awhile ago and things may have changed.

On another note.......Brett Favre, please, for the love of God, just stay retired, enjoy your wife and kids, and just go away.....PLEASE!!! :smack: :slap: :poke:

Heard a rumor he might be interested in KC tonight. That would be fine by me as their coach and their QB's completely SUCK.

Anyway, there's a first year looking for a commuting partner to the poster above. Shoot me a PM, and I'll get you two hooked up via email.

Thank you so much! :)

Thanks doctormom! I still want to go buy clothes though lol :laugh: and this way the husband thinks I actually need them.

Anyone else already moved up here and want to go to the mall? It seems like the cool place to be. The husband said he would drop me off and come back and pick me up so he obviously doesn't want to shop ;)

You are very welcome! :)

I have to confess that I even picked up a few new outfits for school. I am not much of a clothes person, but decided I could use a few new things too. :D

BTW...I lied. Sorry. I confused myself. I didn't see Dr. Sanford. I saw Dr. Howard who is a OD in Middlesboro. I remember looking through the phone book and seeing both offices and just randomly picking one out. She had the nicer looking ad, so she got my business. I had actually originally scheduled my first appointment two months ago, but had to keep changing it for one reason or another and I apparently couldn't remember who I was seeing. :rolleyes: Anyway, she was really nice and I picked out some funky frames for school to wear along with my new clothes.:laugh::p

I want new frames too! I usually wear contacts but when I'm super lazy I just wear my glasses. I think I'm just going to go to walmart though because I like being cheap like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully I have vision coverage, so I only paid $38 for my exam and my glasses. :D I never had vision coverage before and I am lovin' it!:biglove: :banana:

I didn't see Dr. Sanford. I saw Dr. Howard who is a OD in Middlesboro.

I also noticed the optometrist at the walmart is an MD? whoa...I wonder how he got stuck doing that..

Haha, that's one way to do it! He ended up making an appointment with Dr. Sanford. His first available appointment wasn't for a couple of weeks, so I guess it's a good sign that he has a lot of business!

Just a couple of quick questions for anyone - are any particular shoes required (or even recommended) for anatomy lab, or are an old pair of tennis shoes okay? And if you aren't getting your scrubs through the Orthopedics club, where are you getting them? Do other places embroider school and name also?

You are very welcome! :)

I have to confess that I even picked up a few new outfits for school. I am not much of a clothes person, but decided I could use a few new things too. :D

BTW...I lied. Sorry. I confused myself. I didn't see Dr. Sanford. I saw Dr. Howard who is a OD in Middlesboro. I remember looking through the phone book and seeing both offices and just randomly picking one out. She had the nicer looking ad, so she got my business. I had actually originally scheduled my first appointment two months ago, but had to keep changing it for one reason or another and I apparently couldn't remember who I was seeing. :rolleyes: Anyway, she was really nice and I picked out some funky frames for school to wear along with my new clothes.:laugh::p

I also noticed the optometrist at the walmart is an MD? whoa...I wonder how he got stuck doing that..

Yeah I saw that and i was a little confused. I haven't made an appt there yet but I need to in the near future before I run out of contacts.

So for those that are already in Harrogate (and surrounding areas) Missdochopeful and myself are making a big trip to the middlesboro mall sometime this week. If anyone is interested in some awesome shopping just let me know and I will get you in on the action. Of course if you know how to get to a better mall we will gladly have you show us the way. Anyways if anyone wants to meet up and do that and eat somewhere just let me know. Not sure what day this week yet but if some other people want to go we can plan it out.

That really stinks for the doctor at Walmart. WOW!!! Definitely not a dream job. Maybe they just messed up on the sign. LOL! :rolleyes:

Walmart actually didn't accept my insurance (BCBS of Alabama), so that is why I went elsewhere. Dr. Howard had a really nice selection of frames and everyone at the office was really nice, so I would recommend them. My husband is going to think I lost my mind when he sees the frames I got. They are funky blackish frames with lime green on the inside. :cool: Hard to explain....y'all will have to wait and see them when we start.

Shoes...they have to be close-toed, i.e., no sandals, but that is an OSHA thing or something and applies to the rest of the dress code. I just wore my regular shoes in there. The floor was clean. People weren't throwing blood and guts everywhere...:p It was actually a lot nicer and cleaner than I expected. I always thought the room smelled like bologna though.:eek::confused: Yuck! I haven't eaten it since then... ;) OK, seriously, I would recommend something non-slip and comfortable since you will be standing most of the lab. You may want a second pair of shoes just in case something spills. The smell tends to get into everything too. My shoes ended up becoming my barn shoes in the end. :D

Anyway, this is the way it was last fall. I don't know if they changed the policy or not. I am actually not sure about the scrubs either. We could wear whatever color last year, but I had heard that they would require DCOM scrubs this year, so I don't know what the final decision on that was. You can always email Dr. Cross if you have any questions about anatomy lab. I am sure he would be happy to answer them. :)

That really stinks for the doctor at Walmart. WOW!!! Definitely not a dream job. Maybe they just messed up on the sign. LOL! :rolleyes:

Walmart actually didn't accept my insurance (BCBS of Alabama), so that is why I went elsewhere. Dr. Howard had a really nice selection of frames and everyone at the office was really nice, so I would recommend them. My husband is going to think I lost my mind when he sees the frames I got. They are funky blackish frames with lime green on the inside. :cool: Hard to explain....y'all will have to wait and see them when we start.

Shoes...they have to be close-toed, i.e., no sandals, but that is an OSHA thing or something and applies to the rest of the dress code. I just wore my regular shoes in there. The floor was clean. People weren't throwing blood and guts everywhere...:p It was actually a lot nicer and cleaner than I expected. I always thought the room smelled like bologna though.:eek::confused: Yuck! I haven't eaten it since then... ;) OK, seriously, I would recommend something non-slip and comfortable since you will be standing most of the lab. You may want a second pair of shoes just in case something spills. The smell tends to get into everything too. My shoes ended up becoming my barn shoes in the end. :D

Anyway, this is the way it was last fall. I don't know if they changed the policy or not. I am actually not sure about the scrubs either. We could wear whatever color last year, but I had heard that they would require DCOM scrubs this year, so I don't know what the final decision on that was. You can always email Dr. Cross if you have any questions about anatomy lab. I am sure he would be happy to answer them. :)

Thanks DoctorMom! I sent an email to Dr. Cross and he said that he hopes that everyone will have the same or similar scrubs and they don't have to have the insignia, but he doesn't know what the final color decision was. So I guess I'll be waiting to buy scrubs until I hear!

After looking at the housing options available in Harrogate, I decided to just buy a house. I like having a yard, garage, etc. I'm interested in getting 2-3 room mates if anyone is still interested. Here are a few details:

522 Presidential Blvd, Harrogate, TN 37752
1.8 miles from campus (within bike riding distance)

One large room for rent in basement and one on the main floor

Individual bathrooms
storage
kitchen
Huge deck
nice neighborhood.

$400/month plus split utilities

For details, please contact:
Steven Hosack
[email protected]

573-424-7426

Thanks everybody and see you soon.

Just in case yall haven't bought your scrubs yet the walmart in Middlesboro has a lot of scrubs and they are only $10. I got a navy blue set and a dark purple set.

Just in case yall haven't bought your scrubs yet the walmart in Middlesboro has a lot of scrubs and they are only $10. I got a navy blue set and a dark purple set.

wow..thanks...that's cheap...I'll make sure I go there!

where can we get clothes dry-cleaned?

Can we move into the LMU med apartments on a weekend? I'm not sure whether the staff will be there.

Can we move into the LMU med apartments on a weekend? I'm not sure whether the staff will be there.

You just have to pre-arrange it with Mrs. Evelyn Farmer. She was nice enough to meet me up last saturday morning so I can sign the contract and get my keys.

She is a very nice lady! :)

There is a drycleaners by the pedestrian bridge, just across from the soon to open coffee shop.

I was on the undergrad site for LMU and it sucked. If I was a prospective undergrad, I'd like to see a campus via pictures and virtual tour. They gotta upgrade tons of stuff on their website. I kinda wanted to see the final product of all that construction when I interviewed lol. 8 more days!

I was on the undergrad site for LMU and it sucked. If I was a prospective undergrad, I'd like to see a campus via pictures and virtual tour. They gotta upgrade tons of stuff on their website. I kinda wanted to see the final product of all that construction when I interviewed lol. 8 more days!

yea..they definitely need to hire a new web developer...even when you go to the DCOM site and look at pictures...they still have pictures of the building under construction....no final pics

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/building/index.htm

i moved most of my stuff into apartment 204. i am really lokking forward to meeting everyone. does anyone know if the gym in the apartments will have free weights or just the machines that are already there?

i moved most of my stuff into apartment 204. i am really lokking forward to meeting everyone. does anyone know if the gym in the apartments will have free weights or just the machines that are already there?

if you go look in that 1 connecting room in the weight room.....i saw a rack that is made to hold free weights....so im assuming they'll have it..but can't be sure...this was as of last weekend...im back in chicago now...

if you go look in that 1 connecting room in the weight room.....i saw a rack that is made to hold free weights....so im assuming they'll have it..but can't be sure...this was as of last weekend...im back in chicago now...

i didnt even know there was a connecting room. i just looked in from the hallway and now i am back in denver so i guess i will have to wait til i move-in for good.

has anyone purchased the grays anatomy software for blackberry? is it worth it?

Just a bit off topic, but I wanted to get this out there in case anyone is looking into getting a pet after they move and this is something I feel strongly about.

This place adopts out pets at very reasonable rates and these pets need homes. I would ask anyone to consider adopting one of these animals before buying from a breeder or a pet store.

http://www.knoxpets.org/

This weekend, they are having a "special" where you get discounted rates on animals that are all black. There are 6 Lab mix pups I wish I had the space for and I'd go get them.

One day, I imagine we'll have some land and a whole TON of dogs, as that's the wifes dream (to run a dog day care type facility).

Just a bit off topic, but I wanted to get this out there in case anyone is looking into getting a pet after they move and this is something I feel strongly about.

This place adopts out pets at very reasonable rates and these pets need homes. I would ask anyone to consider adopting one of these animals before buying from a breeder or a pet store.

This weekend, they are having a "special" where you get discounted rates on animals that are all black. There are 6 Lab mix pups I wish I had the space for and I'd go get them.

One day, I imagine we'll have some land and a whole TON of dogs, as that's the wifes dream (to run a dog day care type facility).

On the topic of pets, I know someone with kittens if anyone is interested. Just let me know.:)

Thanks for that link too. That is one I didn't know about. :D

OMG MJB your killing me!!!! I want another dog so bad! How on earth will I care for one given my constraints....give me a way and I'll sign right up!

See ya in two weeks!!

Ooh, I definitely second that! Of all the things that are different about moving to a new place, I was totally blown away by all the stray animals around here. I wish I could take them in, but I have terrible allergies. We drove a stray cat that's been frequenting our house all the way to Michigan last weekend to an adoptive family. The situation is pretty dire for animals around here.

Ooh, I definitely second that! Of all the things that are different about moving to a new place, I was totally blown away by all the stray animals around here. I wish I could take them in, but I have terrible allergies. We drove a stray cat that's been frequenting our house all the way to Michigan last weekend to an adoptive family. The situation is pretty dire for animals around here.

It is really bad. I am still in shock over it. I spent my time off rescuing horses and other animals from the area. We have the best little dog in the world who just showed up here with mange one day and I just finally captured a very small, feral kitten that can't be more than six weeks old that had showed up here. I am sure someone just dumped both of them. Last I heard, there was no animal control or an animal shelter in Claiborne county, but I know the shelter was in the works. There is one in Campbell county in Lafollette, but they don't provide any vet care and only hold the animals for three days before killing them. They don't even have enough funding to put a sign up so you can find the place. I have a cat from the Campbell County Animal Shelter that I adopted, but there are literally hundreds who are not so lucky. There are literally dozens of unwanted kittens and puppies in the paper for free every day. The big issue is really the spay/neuter problem, which most people don't seem to want to do around here. The other big problem is that there are really no consequences to animal abuse. People just dump animals out anywhere they want, starve them, neglect them, and at the most they might get a slap on the wrist. GRRRRRRR!!!!:mad:

Don't get me started on this topic. LOL! It is something that I am very passionate about. If anyone wants any type of animal, just let me know. I probably know where one is. :D

Do any of you know the email of who is in charge of SOMA?

It is really bad. I am still in shock over it. I spent my time off rescuing horses and other animals from the area. We have the best little dog in the world who just showed up here with mange one day and I just finally captured a very small, feral kitten that can't be more than six weeks old that had showed up here. I am sure someone just dumped both of them. Last I heard, there was no animal control or an animal shelter in Claiborne county, but I know the shelter was in the works. There is one in Campbell county in Lafollette, but they don't provide any vet care and only hold the animals for three days before killing them. They don't even have enough funding to put a sign up so you can find the place. I have a cat from the Campbell County Animal Shelter that I adopted, but there are literally hundreds who are not so lucky. There are literally dozens of unwanted kittens and puppies in the paper for free every day. The big issue is really the spay/neuter problem, which most people don't seem to want to do around here. The other big problem is that there are really no consequences to animal abuse. People just dump animals out anywhere they want, starve them, neglect them, and at the most they might get a slap on the wrist. GRRRRRRR!!!!:mad:

Don't get me started on this topic. LOL! It is something that I am very passionate about. If anyone wants any type of animal, just let me know. I probably know where one is. :D

Yeah rural areas are usually the worst on people not caring so much for animals. I've had three stray cats and a stray dog in my yard so far and I've only been here two weeks. I wish I had unlimited supplies of money because then I would have a ton of pets. My two dogs and a cat are all I can afford to have now. And the fact that my husband would kill me if I got anything else. But I know if he saw a really in need animal he would let me keep it. I just don't want to push that until I really need to lol.

Yeah rural areas are usually the worst on people not caring so much for animals. I've had three stray cats and a stray dog in my yard so far and I've only been here two weeks. I wish I had unlimited supplies of money because then I would have a ton of pets. My two dogs and a cat are all I can afford to have now. And the fact that my husband would kill me if I got anything else. But I know if he saw a really in need animal he would let me keep it. I just don't want to push that until I really need to lol.

LOL! I know how limiting husbands and money can be. BUT...the secret with husbands is...that it is easier to get forgiveness than permission, i.e., get the animal first and then fight it out later. LMAO! I know, I am really bad. :p;):laugh: We don't have a lot of money, but all the "extra" goes to the animals. We have absolutely no social life and never spend anything on something fun, so the animals get the money. Our bill priorities are as follows: Mortgage, electric, groceries and gas, money for the animals. :D

We currently have two and a half horses (one is a Shetland pony), two goats, four dogs, and five cats soon to be six because I am getting the feral kitten a companion kitten because it is so lonely. That kitten is coming from the Campbell County Animal Shelter. Someone is giving me several chickens and two donkeys who should be here soon. If anyone wants farm fresh eggs, I hope to have them soon. :) I actually have a fourth horse who is a stallion who has gone to stand in Illinois for a year and a half because I didn't have room for a second stallion right now. Believe it or not, I am actually way down in numbers. LOL! I absolutely love my animals. Everyone keeps asking me why I don't want to be a vet.:rolleyes::laugh: I don't though; only people medicine for me. My kids love all the animals though.

Actually, if you want to help out animals, you can always look into being a foster home for a 501c3 charity. While you would have some out of pocket expenses, they would be tax-deductible.

We love our two bostons and 2 cats. We rescued one of the Bostons when we drove down to Georgia to visit some friends a couple of year ago...we're so happy to have gotten her.

On another completely unrelated topic...Someone was asking earlier about the tax free holiday in TN. It is the first weekend of school. All school supplies and clothes will be tax free August 1st - 3rd...and there will be some insane-good sales.

One last thing. How many guys are planning to wear a tie to orientation?

I'm leaning towards wearing a tie on orientation and on the first day. Is this normal? hahaha. also, are there any sort of ceremonies or events for the rents to attend on orientation day? thanks.

One last thing. How many guys are planning to wear a tie to orientation?

I thought about it..but decided against it.....but if there is a good amount of people wearing them...I will too....

I just didn't want to be the only one wearing it...will make me look like a gunning douchebag....which im not :D

Who wants to plan a shopping trip on the Tax Free weekend? Just imagine all the good deals on clothes!!!! lol I'm bored it's sad that I'm just sitting around waiting for school to start at this point.

I thought about it..but decided against it.....but if there is a good amount of people wearing them...I will too....

I just didn't want to be the only one wearing it...will make me look like a gunning douchebag....which im not :D
I'm thinking I'll probably wear one...it's much easier to pull it off than put one on. I will definitely not be wearing a suit jacket though...way too hot for that!

Who wants to plan a shopping trip on the Tax Free weekend? Just imagine all the good deals on clothes!!!! lol I'm bored it's sad that I'm just sitting around waiting for school to start at this point.
I'm definitely going to be doing some school shopping that weekend! I don't think anyone would want to tag along with me though, I'm pretty boring when it comes to shopping, and if my wife isn't there to say "that looks stupid" I'll get myself into a mess :laugh: