LMU-DCOM Class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwmhboo86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would start this thread early so everyone could keep in touch! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sent in my secondary 2 weeks ago. I have not heard anything back, confirming my application is complete. Going to call em Monday. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that they will call us next week regarding our files.....I talked to Robin 2 weeks ago and she informed me that they are busy with the orientations for the in-coming class so I believe that we will hear something soon!! :luck:

Sent in my secondary 2 weeks ago. I have not heard anything back, confirming my application is complete. Going to call em Monday. :scared:

Cngrats!!!:D:D:D

Thanks...and I wouldn't start stressing yet, I was on the waitlist for this coming year and they told me that they were going to accept me for the 2010 school year. I don't think they've invited people that have sent in their applications this year to interview yet. Don't worry still pleanty of time! :)

hey guys... I am going to attend the campus tour Sept. 9th. What do you think I should wear? should I be causal... formal??!?
any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Hi guys,

I'm a third year at LMU-DCOM and I just wanted to give you all some advise based on things I have heard from the admissions office. Please DO NOT call them 3-4 times a week checking on your application. Especially when they are telling you not to call so much. When they say everything is fine and they will let you know if they need anything from you they mean it. When you call 3 to 4 times a week you annoy them and I can assure you that does NOT work in your favor for admission to C/O 2014. Oh yea if you are doing this and asking for different people each time you call, like Janette one time or Robin and then Amy...they sit 10 feet from each other and do talk...this tactic is not working. I promise you...you are annoying them.

I remember sitting where you all are now and wanting to make sure everything is received in a timely manner and that your application is as up to date with the school as possible. That all works in your favor for admission BUT if you are being so eager that you are calling too much this will trash all the work you put in making your application look good. My suggestion to you is to relax...submitt your material and wait! They are very capable people and will get your folders together as soon as they can. If you feel the need to call and check on your status, every few weeks is the absolute soonest you should call. If anyone has questions about this please PM me and I'll be happy to help. This is not meant to scold just to inform and hopefully give the ladies in admissions a bit of a break...they are awesome and deserve all our cooperation and respect!

Thanks and good luck!!!

yay!! cant wait to start! congrats everyone!

Last edited:
hey guys,

does anyone know the number of applicants interviewed vs the number accepted (in general)?

YAY soo excited to have gotten in has anyone decided on them for sure yet?! I got in there and WVSOM so far I think DCOM for sure!

Hey Ali, yea I think I am going with DCOM for sure...I am waitlisted in Arizona, but I think that DCOM is the way to go too! Where are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in! First acceptance to either DO or MD school! Heard from Dean Stowers on Oct. 22! :)

Just a quick note to let you know what kind of school you accepted... This school was created out of a need for top quality care in this region. It is now becoming a force in the entire medical community.

The curriculum is slightly different here, and is difficult. You do not get much down time at all. In addition, you are required to pull from your academic classes and utilize that knowledge within the first week to begin treating patients.

The end result? Third year students are fully capable with a full ACLS codes, central line placement, lumbar puncture, suturing, ATLS, PALS, and the list goes on and on... Students on rotations are consistently being ranked in the top 5% of all medical students due to our preparation.

MedWAR saw a DCOM team put a crich in a patient in 12 seconds during a skills test. The next closest team was a group of paramedics that did it in 90 seconds. I witnessed this personally.

You will become the best trained physicians in the world. Period.

There is a reason four deans of other medical schools gave up their deanships to come to this school. It rocks.

Congratulations... but remember... it's harder to keep a reputation than to earn it. The ultimate reason we are as good as we are is because of quality applicants like you and a faculty and staff that kill themselves daily to see you succeed. We can't wait to see you next summer!

DCOM class of 2013

Students on rotations are consistently being ranked in the top 5% of all medical students due to our preparation.

MedWAR saw a DCOM team put a crich in a patient in 12 seconds during a skills test. The next closest team was a group of paramedics that did it in 90 seconds. I witnessed this personally.

You will become the best trained physicians in the world. Period.

There is a reason four deans of other medical schools gave up their deanships to come to this school. It rocks.

DCOM class of 2013

Ranked in top 5% of all DO students or DO & MD students combined, and ranked by which orginization?

What does "medWAR" stand for?

What does "ACLS codes" stand for?

Sounds good! Thanks for posting. Need encouragment as this is a MAJOR move for my family and me as we're coming from New York. :)

ACLS- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support. Codes are usually respiratory or cardiac arrests.

Got the call today, class of 2014!! See you guys in the fall!

You can't use ATLS as a Medical Student I thought. I thought you had to be a A.)About to start residency B.) A full fledged M.D./D.O. that needs to recert for your field(Never understood why Gen. Surg. have to get recerted?)

Been to a few ATLS courses and never saw any students. Is this in house training in the form of ATLS skills?

Thanks for the answers.

You can use ATLS as a paramedic, in fact here in florida most if not all paramedics are required to have ATLS, ACLS, PALS, BLS, CPR.

So are paramedics allowed to Audit or do they get ATLS certified? I know they won't even allow PA's/NP's credit(I recently took it in July at a Level I trauma center).

Thanks.

Im not exactly sure what you mean by audit? However, I can say i'm an EMT and currently working on receiving my ACLS (just for fun, you could say. Considering as an emt I am not able to push drugs or anything) the process for this is in my case study rythms and an ACLS manual, then get a qualified instructor to test me out. In regards to ATLS I could be wrong but I believe that some of the qualifications the certification requires can only be obtained through a paramedic training class, that is I have not seen any classes specifically offered just for this certification.

As far as Audit I thought the ACS stated only Physicians(MD/DO) could only recieve the certification. As a P.A. I had to Audit(I could do the skills and listen in on the course with the Docs. ,but I couldn't take the test with them) the course and could not recieve the true "certification"

Maybe this has changed?

every single paramedic in the state of Florida as well as all of the ER nurses im currently working next to have to be ACLS certified; take the course, test out and cme's.

bsteven2-ACLS all of us would have to hopefully have. I am talking about Advanced Trauma Life Support(not Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support).

See you next fall in class man Bsteven2.
Has anyone heard anything about the Comlex yet?

Last edited:
See you next fall in class man Bsteven2.
Has anyone heard anything about the Comlex yet?

I had a student tell me that he was told the pass rate for the first time test takers was 90-91%. That percentage will not include the ones who pass on the re-take.

Got the call yesterday from Dr Stowers! See you guys in August.

I had a student tell me that he was told the pass rate for the first time test takers was 90-91%. That percentage will not include the ones who pass on the re-take.

There has not been on official release of COMLEX stats yet by LMU DCOM. Everything you hear in the meantime has no validity.

BTW, are you a 1st year? And did a 3rd year tell you that?

There has not been on official release of COMLEX stats yet by LMU DCOM. Everything you hear in the meantime has no validity.

BTW, are you a 1st year? And did a 3rd year tell you that?

i think the 90% pass rate is for all people who take the comlex, not specifically at dcom.

No...nothing has been released from the school.

Hey everyone...is it late to send in the secondary application now??? i have 3.6 gpa 23q and 3.4 sgpa...will i have chance for an interview??

thanks

I just got a call from Dr. Stowers!! You DCOM people will be seeing a lot more of me this fall!! :D:D:D

Can someone who was accepted explain how they paid their deposit and how they knew exactly when to start the 30 days we have to reply? Thankssss

Can someone who was accepted explain how they paid their deposit and how they knew exactly when to start the 30 days we have to reply? Thankssss

I think the 30 days starts the day on which you were accepted. I knew this is where I wanted to go, so as soon as I got the acceptance I mailed the deposit in that week. I paid my deposit by a personal check.

I've done several searches but can find nothing on the grading policy for years 1 and 2. Can anyone give me any info?
Thanks!

I've done several searches but can find nothing on the grading policy for years 1 and 2. Can anyone give me any info?
Thanks!

Grading for all 4 years is A, B, C (with lower than a C being failing). Normal scale (100-90 = A, etc).

Are exams graded on a curve and if so, what type?

There is not really much of a curve. If a certain % of the class is failing then they might curve 1-2% points to help those borderline people over the edge, but this has only happened in anatomy during 1st year (in my experience) and like I said, it was not even much of a curve.

Plan on getting exactly the grade you calculate (simply by the average of your exams) because that is what my final grades have been 99% of the time.

Good luck! :)

Are exams graded on a curve and if so, what type?

There is no curve. If you fail then you have to remediate over the winter or summer break. I think we only lost about 10 people the first year and I only know of about 5 people who are remediating during the current winter break. With that being said, there were only 15 people with straight A's after the first semester.

There is not really much of a curve. If a certain % of the class is failing then they might curve 1-2% points to help those borderline people over the edge, but this has only happened in anatomy during 1st year (in my experience) and like I said, it was not even much of a curve.

Plan on getting exactly the grade you calculate (simply by the average of your exams) because that is what my final grades have been 99% of the time.

Good luck! :)

There is no curve. If you fail then you have to remediate over the winter or summer break. I think we only lost about 10 people the first year and I only know of about 5 people who are remediating during the current winter break. With that being said, there were only 15 people with straight A's after the first semester.

I am honestly ecstatic to hear this! Curves are from the devil in my opinion. First, I am highly neurotic about knowing where I stand in a course and curves just destroy any hope of this for me, given that I have no idea how the rest of the class will perform. And second, I think they indirectly make me a lazier student because I start to bank on the class not performing well. It's evil. Partially my fault, partially the curve's fault.

Are grades posted online so that my neurotic self can easily keep track of them? :)

Test results take about 3-4 business days to be posted on Blackboard, after statistics are run and the course directors deal with any changes. (A question could be thrown out, made a bonus, rekeyed, or have additional answers accepted.) It only took two days after the semester ended to get the 5th block exam results back.

But I haven't seen any course letter grades yet, so I don't know if they haven't been done yet or signed off on by the course directors, if they're waiting for people to take the make-up exams on the 3rd, if they only mail them (I haven't gone back down yet), or if I just don't know the right place to look.

I was really talking about the "curve" in anatomy 1st semester, which was a couple of % points and the mini 1.5% "curve" we just got in respiratory ;) But other than that there are no real curves, you're right.

BTW, who is this from my class? Give me a hint, hehe :)

I was really talking about the "curve" in anatomy 1st semester, which was a couple of % points and the mini 1.5% "curve" we just got in respiratory ;) But other than that there are no real curves, you're right.

BTW, who is this from my class? Give me a hint, hehe :)[/QUOTE

my name starts with a P, both first and last name. does that help?

To clear up the ACLS and ATLS confusion:

You will become BLS and ACLS certified while at DCOM. There are talks of doing PALS too. There is an ATLS course taught by our head of surgery, but you are NOT certified in it since you must have your degree (DO/MD) to be certified.

Also, as a 3rd year, I can tell you we are very prepared for rotations. I don't know anything about top 5% or anything like that, but based on my experience and my colleagues, we can hold our own very well. You WILL know how to perform lumbar punctures, central lines, intubate, etc PRIOR to rotations. The clinical training is very strong at DCOM for sure. You will be able to read an EKG extremely well too....and x-rays. The sim lab is an awesome experience and I can't wait to see it fully develop into the awesomeness it can and will be. Learning how to think like a doc is much different than book learning and the sim lab does a great job at prepping you for that.