LMU-DCOM Class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the call yesterday that KCUMB has moved me off of the waiting list and accepted me....I have already paid my deposit to Debusk and I love the school...KCUMB has a great rep though...I am kinda in limbo now and not sure what to do. anyone have any suggestions.

I was accepted into both programs also. KCUMB is my "state" Osteopathic Medical School.... I am from KS. It is only 2 hours from home and DCOM is 12 hours (Husband is staying at home for the first year). KCUMB simply wasn't for me. I HATED the location of the school (I heard some of the students call the 7/11 across the street the stab n go:scared:). KCUMB is an established institution, but I believe DCOM is going great places. A majority of KCUMB students stay in the KC metro area so if rural medicine is what you want, KCUMB may not be your school. Over all the size of the class, the fact that they lock all the buildings at midnight, the atmosphere, and the facilities didn’t meet my needs as much as DCOM did. It was a tough decision but I am happy I chose DCOM:soexcited:. Good Luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The decision hasnt been easy, but I believe LMU-DCOM wins. I will see you folks in July.

Congrats to those accepted!!!!!:D I still haven't heard back....for those that were accepted did you receive a phone call?? and did you just hear back??

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those accepted!!!!!:D I still haven't heard back....for those that were accepted did you receive a phone call?? and did you just hear back??

You should get a phone call a couple of weeks after the interview. Hope this helps.

Adam

Hey everyone. Congrats on your acceptances. Currently in the final stages of closing on a home in Harrogate and looking for two classmates/tenants interested in renting. It’s a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house up on Presidential Blvd, which is about 3 miles from campus (maybe a 5 minute drive). The house is great, built in 2007, fully furnished (with the exception of the two bedrooms I’m looking to rent), big fenced in back yard, front and back porches, incredible views, 2 car garage, very quiet/upscale neighborhood. Rent will include all utilities (excluding cable) up to a set amount. If your interested shoot me a message, I have a bunch of pictures and can provide more details about the home/rent/etc. I've only posted on here a couple of times, and don't log on often, so if your interested shoot me a facebook message. I posted the same message in the LMU-DCOM class of 2014 facebook group. Looking forward to meeting everyone in July.

Hey interested in the house if I get accepted...should hear back really soon!! lol!! like today!! How much is rent?? square footage?

Hi Sarahlopez,

I would be glad to get you any info. Do you mind if we communicate on facebook? I just posted in the LMUDCOM class of 2014 group yesterday. I have been searching for housing since early Feb., this was by far the best spot I could find. The previous owners made a lot of upgrades. Hope you get some good news soon.

Hey!! Thanks so much!! Yeah...i don't have a facebook...sorry...lol! :)! well actually i'm sorry but i think i'm going to stick with dorms on campus...thanks lots though!!!! Hope you find that perfect roomie! are you c/o 2014?

Hello everyone...does anyone know what the hours are for the study areas on campus?

As a Med Student you can study in the med school practically 24 hours, with the exception of midnight to 6 am on friday nights and saturday nights, except on test weekends, they let you stay in the rooms until 2am on those days.

Basically, you can live there if you want, and even the school thinks you shouldn't be studying too hard on Friday Nights.

Hope this helps

Does anyone know exactly what is taken out if you check the first box on the title IV form here: http://lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/title-iv-fund-payment-authorization.pdf ?? I just received my packet and am not sure which will be most beneficial as I do not want moneys taken out that I feel better allocated somewhere else i.e the amount of money they budget for food etc.

I wish!!!:)! I'm still waiting for a reply....do you think they just send snail mail answers to those who have been rejected???? I mean most people said that they have been called by Dr. Stowers?? Maybe its cause I live in Hawaii the mail is taking so long but they said the committee was suppose to meet last week and make a decision about me and ....yea i don't want to call because I feel like i'm annoying them...o well...ill just wait..........wait.......................wait...............................

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know exactly what is taken out if you check the first box on the title IV form here: http://lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/title-iv-fund-payment-authorization.pdf ?? I just received my packet and am not sure which will be most beneficial as I do not want moneys taken out that I feel better allocated somewhere else i.e the amount of money they budget for food etc.

From what I've gathered, you definitely want to check yes on the Title IV question (my comp won't let me see that link right now so hopefully my answer makes sense). I guess basically it allows payments to be applied to any and all charges on your account (ex books, supplies, etc), so unless you have outside funds and resources to cover those, I would recommend allowing that. I hear nearly 100% of students allow it. It's nothing sketchy or tricky- the govt just requires you to give them permission I suppose. Hope that helps! Are you in the FB group for our class right now? This and lots of other questions are currently being discussed on the wall. Good luck with everything! :)

I wish!!!:)! I'm still waiting for a reply....do you think they just send snail mail answers to those who have been rejected???? I mean most people said that they have been called by Dr. Stowers?? Maybe its cause I live in Hawaii the mail is taking so long but they said the committee was suppose to meet last week and make a decision about me and ....yea i don't want to call because I feel like i'm annoying them...o well...ill just wait..........wait.......................wait...............................

The first time I applied, I got waitlisted with notification being done via snail mail. Dean Stowers USUALLY calls accepted applicants, but there are times it doesn't happen so sit tight. Also, Janette just recently alerted students l via email not to call right now to check on matriculation aperwork, so apparently they are really overwhelmed getting things in order for the c/o 2014 to start. Be patient...on average it takes 12 days or so to hear back, but you are pretty far away :)

I declined my KCUMB acceptance today. I have decided to on LMU-DCOM all the way. I will see you folks in July!

Two pieces of advice:

1.) Get involved in student events. A doctor is not made solely on book knowledge. Broaden your social skills.

2.) Get used to cooking. The eating options are mexican, fast food, or you in the kitchen. I prefer the kitchen.

Welcome to LMU-DCOM.

Two pieces of advice:

1.) Get involved in student events. A doctor is not made solely on book knowledge. Broaden your social skills.

2.) Get used to cooking. The eating options are mexican, fast food, or you in the kitchen. I prefer the kitchen.

Welcome to LMU-DCOM.

I love this post for many reasons:
1. It's random as all get out.
2. I plan on doing both of these very things.

Can't wait to get to DCOM!! :D

Does anyone have pics of the two room apartments at LMU? Trying to get an idea of space. Thanks.

I am moving to Harrogate in a couple of weeks. I have read mixed reviews on internet providers in the area. Can anyone recommend a provider?

I know there is the facebook page but at work I cant get to it..So what is everyone doing to budget for summer expenses next year since we are only given loan money for 10 months??

I know there is the facebook page but at work I cant get to it..So what is everyone doing to budget for summer expenses next year since we are only given loan money for 10 months??

I have created Excel spreadsheets with my estimated monthly costs (based more or less around the thing they gave us in all of our interview/acceptance paperwork)...but I have tweaked it to my rent cost and personal spending needs.

Basically, I set it up with the starting total in one box, added up all the annual costs that will have to come out of that, then calculated about how much I will have to work each month (assuming a TWELVE month budget instead of ten). Then I calculated my expected monthly expenses and subtracted that from the money I anticipate having per month. Surprisingly, even with a 12 month budget and anticipating most everything I can come up (preparatory car maintenance, etc), I STILL have quite a bit to work with. Now granted, I did take out the full amount, but that was mainly out of fear being an inexperienced first year and all that :)

If you're interested, I could send those spreadsheets to you. I put a lot of time and effort in them, but I'd be willing to spare someone the heartache of doing it themselves!

I have created Excel spreadsheets with my estimated monthly costs (based more or less around the thing they gave us in all of our interview/acceptance paperwork)...but I have tweaked it to my rent cost and personal spending needs.

Basically, I set it up with the starting total in one box, added up all the annual costs that will have to come out of that, then calculated about how much I will have to work each month (assuming a TWELVE month budget instead of ten). Then I calculated my expected monthly expenses and subtracted that from the money I anticipate having per month. Surprisingly, even with a 12 month budget and anticipating most everything I can come up (preparatory car maintenance, etc), I STILL have quite a bit to work with. Now granted, I did take out the full amount, but that was mainly out of fear being an inexperienced first year and all that :)

If you're interested, I could send those spreadsheets to you. I put a lot of time and effort in them, but I'd be willing to spare someone the heartache of doing it themselves!

This is so nice of you! Can't wait to start school with such fabulous people:)

This is so nice of you! Can't wait to start school with such fabulous people:)
Haha it's the least I can do really. Budgeting is kind of a nightmare, especially for some people. At first, it was causing me a lot of stress, but now that I really sat and thought through it (and milked my super financially responsible boyfriend's knowledge), I realized it's totally doable and can be done in a very organized manner that keeps you accountable. I had to do this for me mainly...I just really started to realize that my spending habits have got to be kept under control or else I'm going to be eating rice and beans for the last three months of my budget year! :)

In all seriousness though, once I've put the final touches on my two spreadsheets, I will share if anyone wants them. I know how all you type A's out there would just eat them up ;)

Are we required to purchase the Lenovo Thinkpad, or will another laptop due with the same system requirements. That computer is $2400.

Woah thats great Grace!!! COuld I please look at the spreadsheets!!? :D U're super awesome!! I've been trying to do the same these last past few days but can't figure out what is realistic since I never really had to worry bout my spending...:confused::D

Are we required to purchase the Lenovo Thinkpad, or will another laptop due with the same system requirements. That computer is $2400.

Rita,

The school probably installs specific software on the laptops before they are deployed to us in the fall. From what I can gather there is no choice of laptop. Most decent touch screen tablets hover around the 2,000 mark. When you look at it that way its not all that bad of a price.

Its "included" in your tuition. You can take notes on whatever computer you want though. If you want to buy a different computer, that is. Its a pretty nice model and works well enough for what you need a computer for.

You'll be getting windows 7 which is nice.

Another couple pieces of advice:

When a professor says this is "high yield for the boards" or something to that effect, keep it in a file called High Yield for the boards. It will REAAAAAAAAALLY help your board studying because they say it OFTEN.

Learn Micro like its the back of your hand when you get into it (2nd semester). Micro is HUGE on Level 1 of COMLEX.

Woah thats great Grace!!! COuld I please look at the spreadsheets!!? :D U're super awesome!! I've been trying to do the same these last past few days but can't figure out what is realistic since I never really had to worry bout my spending...:confused::D

Give me a little bit to tweak them...there are still a few things I need to think through and alter. I can send them to you after that though :)

Another couple pieces of advice:

When a professor says this is "high yield for the boards" or something to that effect, keep it in a file called High Yield for the boards. It will REAAAAAAAAALLY help your board studying because they say it OFTEN.

Learn Micro like its the back of your hand when you get into it (2nd semester). Micro is HUGE on Level 1 of COMLEX.

or just study first aid like its your job during second year.

I was hoping to get away with buying no textbooks, or very few for OMS-I. Is that even possible?

I was hoping to get away with buying no textbooks, or very few for OMS-I. Is that even possible?

You can skip Netters and Gray's dissector, because there are nasty copies that stay in the lab. I hated Netters anyway. It's too idealized.

You need to get into the habit of reading for medical school and a career in medicine. You can get away without it first semester, but the reading will start picking up in the second and become required, testable material in the systems courses. You should get the books for first semester too, though. You'll have no idea what resources you're passing up.

You can skip Netters and Gray's dissector, because there are nasty copies that stay in the lab. I hated Netters anyway. It's too idealized.

You need to get into the habit of reading for medical school and a career in medicine. You can get away without it first semester, but the reading will start picking up in the second and become required, testable material in the systems courses. You should get the books for first semester too, though. You'll have no idea what resources you're passing up.

It has nothing to do with my desire to read. I'm prepared to read as much as necessary. I've been told however, that many professors rely heavily on their syllabi and lecture notes. I don't want to buy books that I won't use. I would like to get some honest feedback about this. Did you really use all the required books? Are many of them available in PDF format?

It has nothing to do with my desire to read. I'm prepared to read as much as necessary. I've been told however, that many professors rely heavily on their syllabi and lecture notes. I don't want to buy books that I won't use. I would like to get some honest feedback about this. Did you really use all the required books? Are many of them available in PDF format?

Almost any book you want is in PDF form. If you dont want to buy books then don't. When you realize you need one of them... (Dr. K takes questions verbatim from Biochem book) then buy it.

I do recommend this book for anatomy: http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-A...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275511379&sr=1-1

Almost any book you want is in PDF form. If you dont want to buy books then don't. When you realize you need one of them... (Dr. K takes questions verbatim from Biochem book) then buy it.

I do recommend this book for anatomy: http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-A...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275511379&sr=1-1

Thanks for another opinion. I'm not really feeling confident about what to expect prior to the orientation week in terms of academic expenses other than tuition. By then, budgets have been worked out and monies allocated toward living expenses.

Hi 2013s and 2014s,

My apartments are opening up and the landlord asked me to send this out to you guys.

The address 506 Pennlyn Ave. Its a quad plex. All 2 bedroom 2 baths. All med students. Very safe. The town has 5 streets.
Nice wood floors in kitchen and dining area.
Nice open kitchen all new appliances. Building is 2 years old.
Good size living room. Lite colored carpet
The bedrooms are big enough and the closets run the length of the wall. There is also an inset washer dryer closet. By the way, I will be leaving mine for the incoming tenant. Im on the first floor.
The commute is all of 5 minutes to DCOM and the National Park and all its trials start from your back door.
Bills:650 rent
elec: 50-100
water garbage:50 pay next door at town hall
net: 50- can divide btw other tenants
425 a piece for a 1000squ ft 2 bedroom 2 bath

The two bars in town are down here
Its Historic
You can travel underground to get the school and NoBucks coffee shop
Webbs Kountry Kitchen..mmmmm

Her name is Sharleen Coombs
865-804-5004

Nate Morin-OM2
Lincoln Memorial University-DCOM
506 Pennlyn Ave B
Cumberland Gap, TN

Hi guys, looking forward to meeting you all soon!

If you are looking for housing near DCOM, I have a house for rent.

6 miles from DCOM, nice neighborhood
3 bedrooms, 2 baths
Large kitchen, new GE appliances, lots of cabinets
Dining room, Living room, lots of closet space
Dedicated study room (or the third bdrm)
Large laundry room with full size washer and dryer provided
High speed wired/wireless internet, cable TV
ADT monitored security system
Utilities to be split by tenants
No Pets, No Smoking
Big bedrooms $400/ month
Master bedroom $450/ month
Split with friends or call for family price

Last edited:
Does anyone know for the BLS HCP online course book we must buy that if we have a current BLS cert. as well as CPR card do we still need to take this, or can we simply just test out?

I have an odd question for anyone renting from the Ball Reality appartments, if you are moving in during the July month is Roger prorating your rent? I am moving out of those appartments and I feel like he is screwing me over (beware anyone moving into those appartments, Roger is a cheap SOB).

Thanks

I have an odd question for anyone renting from the Ball Reality appartments, if you are moving in during the July month is Roger prorating your rent? I am moving out of those appartments and I feel like he is screwing me over (beware anyone moving into those appartments, Roger is a cheap SOB).

Thanks
Paula told me that my rent would be prorated. I wish I would have heard the horror stories before I dropped the deposit on the apartment : ( Question though - what did most of the people do there for garbage? Did you guys pay for the monthly garbage can rental and hope the cans didn't get stolen? Or did you take your trash to the county dumpster? And what about cable/internet up there? What company is most popular - the communicomm or at&t? Besides Roger being a cheapskate, anything else I need to watch out for (break-ins, etc.) ?

Oh no. I'm in the same position, having dropped the deposit. I guess a year there is not going to kill me, but of course they are putting their best face forward.

Does anyone know for the BLS HCP online course book we must buy that if we have a current BLS cert. as well as CPR card do we still need to take this, or can we simply just test out?

I don't know about your schedule, but I'm a 3rd year and we took BLS and ACLS during our 2nd year. Your cert might be expired by then, right? No need to rush out and buy the book now . . . just wait and see when you actually take it. :)

the cert. is actually really easy to renew well atleast my Florida license is.

the cert. is actually really easy to renew well atleast my Florida license is.

You won't be the 1st student at DCOM who already is certified ;) We have many EMT's and medics in our class. They are the ones who taught the courses. You should sign up to be an instructor if you've taken it so many times.

practical stuff first -
garbage: three of my neighbors and i split pick up, so it ended up being about $4 per month. internet ran about the same if you split it, which almost everyone did. our trash bins were fine and never got stolen. if you don't want to pay for trash p/u, the county dumpster is about 2 miles down 63.

ATT service isn't all that great here, so we went with communicom. they have a special for new customers that should put it at 20$/month for the year. i didn't get cable, but i've *heard* it's pretty standard prices based on what package you get - and obviously, it's tough to split cable.

only other utility is electric. runs ~20-25$ summertime to ~80$ winter.

about renting a ball apartment:
rent was prorated for me when i moved in last year. "horror stories" are relative - i know of a couple people who have found mold in their apartment, or have had other specific issues with the apartments, which is a shame since they are so new, but i haven't had anything quite so dramatic go wrong with my unit (yet...). the apartments are definitely more cheaply built than i thought at first - for ex my heat bill went through the roof in jan/feb since the insulation wasn't done all that well.

for those of you who like lists:

cons: overpriced; depending on what unit you're moving into, you could have some really annoying issues; tons of stray animals get dropped off near the train tracks; the train runs pretty often at 5am, for you light sleepers.

pros: great location, literally 8 minutes door to door, which is great on exam mornings; convenience, since the deposit is less than some places ($200 as opposed to an entire month); other landlords in the area have been equally shady, if not more - we had several people move out of homes they were renting and even a couple out of the university inn, and into our apartment "complex"; almost all the renters are students at DCOM (OMS or PA), so it's less isolated than other places and there are plenty of your classmates (and second years) who will be around.

it really comes down to asking yourself how much you can ignore your principles and just buckle down and find a place to camp out the two years you are here for basic sciences. you already know this, but you'll barely have time to fret about paying too much for an apartment that's not perfect. if i can do it, you can do it.

good luck.

Paula told me that my rent would be prorated. I wish I would have heard the horror stories before I dropped the deposit on the apartment : ( Question though - what did most of the people do there for garbage? Did you guys pay for the monthly garbage can rental and hope the cans didn't get stolen? Or did you take your trash to the county dumpster? And what about cable/internet up there? What company is most popular - the communicomm or at&t? Besides Roger being a cheapskate, anything else I need to watch out for (break-ins, etc.) ?

Does anyone remember if the DCOM apartments we toured had air conditioning?