MD & DO LOA between 2nd and 3rd year for family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstar11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have seen a few forums on here somewhat with the same topic but most are 2+ years old. I am currently a second year student who is thinking about taking a year off between 2nd and 3rd year to start a family. I am interested in rural family medicine almost exclusively and would like to know how this might affect me when it is time to apply for residency. I am not overly interested in research so I thought about doing some online MPH classes on my year off as my school has an online program for that. My school also has a few fellowship positions I could apply for which would also be something I am interested in but am not sure how competitive it will be. I would plan on taking my boards with the rest of my class in late May or June so it isn't like I would take extra time to study for boards. If anyone on here has experience with this or any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I have seen a few forums on here somewhat with the same topic but most are 2+ years old. I am currently a second year student who is thinking about taking a year off between 2nd and 3rd year to start a family. I am interested in rural family medicine almost exclusively and would like to know how this might affect me when it is time to apply for residency. I am not overly interested in research so I thought about doing some online MPH classes on my year off as my school has an online program for that. My school also has a few fellowship positions I could apply for which would also be something I am interested in but am not sure how competitive it will be. I would plan on taking my boards with the rest of my class in late May or June so it isn't like I would take extra time to study for boards. If anyone on here has experience with this or any advice it would be greatly appreciated!
I dont see why this would impact you negatively considering you are applying for FM unless you are an IMG. Why not start a family in m4?

I dont see why this would impact you negatively considering you are applying for FM unless you are an IMG. Why not start a family in m4?
No I am a US DO student at a well established school. We have entertained both options of time periods and because year 2 is almost halfway over this conversation just became much more real for us. My school seems to be very family friendly as there are multiple people who have kids both guys and girls. I also know there isn't really a perfect time in school but we are trying to pick the better time I guess. It would also be nice to hear from people who may have experiences of both to try and see the pros and cons.

No I am a US DO student at a well established school. We have entertained both options of time periods and because year 2 is almost halfway over this conversation just became much more real for us. My school seems to be very family friendly as there are multiple people who have kids both guys and girls. I also know there isn't really a perfect time in school but we are trying to pick the better time I guess. It would also be nice to hear from people who may have experiences of both to try and see the pros and cons.

Take the year off. You will never get a chance like this again and it will help recharge you for M3 year.