Local article about the new school in Riverside CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty good article and worrisome.

didn't see this one. ;$

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
well written article...i'll even let the slightly misinformed line about accreditation slide

well written article...i'll even let the slightly misinformed line about accreditation slide

:laugh:

It is a better than usual article on the matter, slight errors aside. There is a line in there about fellowships that I thought was chuckle worthy.

wow! 1/3 class at western has no job offer?! A few years back grads would get 5 offers months before graduation!

the guy in the article likes that there are more schools opening up?

Members don't see this ad :)
the guy in the article likes that there are more schools opening up?

That is the counterpoint involved with the pharmacist surplus argument. It would provide a means to weed out the least productive/least contributing pharmacists instead of firms having to hire anybody/everybody.

That is the counterpoint involved with the pharmacist surplus argument. It would provide a means to weed out the least productive/least contributing pharmacists instead of firms having to hire anybody/everybody.

It would also provide means to worsen job conditions for pharmacists and put them in environment where they are more likely to make errors... I don't buy that argument... I've already heard of a pharmacist at CVS tell me that he had to do 400 prescriptions with just one clerk and no tech on a saturday.

As far as the student who is pro new schools, i think he is a bit confused, perhaps he thinks that since he has a intern job the future of pharmacy is ok... Little does he know that finding a pharmacist position is a different story.

or many graduates will not be able to find a job. Experienced pharmacists will always have the upper hand.

I met that kid at MRM last year when he was running for regional delegate or whatever. I thought the guy from Oklahoma (but attending UC Denver) would have been a better representative because he said more specific things about what he would do in the position and seemed a bit more informed.

Holly cow! 16 pharmacy schools in CA? When I graduated, CA just had UOP, USC, UCSF ,Western. Gone are those days when you feel proud being a Pharm.D.

Even better the article mentioned a guy who could not get an interview in 2006 and was able to be a pharmacy student finally due to school expansion.

Even better the article mentioned a guy who could not get an interview in 2006 and was able to be a pharmacy student finally due to school expansion.

I think that guy got into UOP, so he didn't benefit from the expansion, but he saying he wished that there was one when he was applying...

or many graduates will not be able to find a job. Experienced pharmacists will always have the upper hand.

This is true, but there is inevitable movement, which is where the weed out would happen upon hiring that person's replacement.

I don't mind new schools opening up, as long as they are the right schools. When I mean right schools, I don't mean a school where:

a) there is no university hospital or associated medical center/health system (or one without a strong relationship to one)
b) PharmD is the only doctoral level degree available
c) concurrent dental hygienist, pharmacy technician, medical assistant, or other historically "vocational" programs exist.
d) they lack regional accreditation and/or are standalone programs
e) continue to advertise labor shortage conditions in recruitment literature

This is true, but there is inevitable movement, which is where the weed out would happen upon hiring that person's replacement.

We are talking about pharmacists here, not your high school graduates. Most of the pharmacists have good work ethics and are capable of doing a good job. Even the "lazy" ones got their act together when the shortage disappeared.

It is not easy to fire a pharmacist without worrying about potential lawsuits. The recent grads are the ones who are going to ultimately suffer and pharmacist wage will not increase much over the years.

Plus, we are talking about pharmacy here, not brain surgery. Most graduates are capable of doing a good job. The question is really how much crap are you willing to take from cvs/walgreens before you call it quit. Without the shortage, expect more crap from management.

Plus, we are talking about pharmacy here, not brain surgery. Most graduates are capable of doing a good job. The question is really how much crap are you willing to take from cvs/walgreens before you call it quit. Without the shortage, expect more crap from management.

You just have to suck it up and work ...because if you don't, someone else is gonna jump in and rob your job. 16 pharmacy schools in California...This means every year, pharmacy schools will produce more than 1000 pharmacists. Do we have that many jobs opening annually? I don't know

Last edited:
16 pharmacy schools in California...This means every year, pharmacy schools will produce more than 10,000 pharmacists.

lol... what the hell school as 625 students in a single graduating class?

even HICP didn't come close to that, haha

We are talking about pharmacists here, not your high school graduates. Most of the pharmacists have good work ethics and are capable of doing a good job. Even the "lazy" ones got their act together when the shortage disappeared.

you probably haven't had the privilege of working with some god-awful retail floaters, consider yourself lucky (then again the last time i worked retail was in 2008).

lol... what the hell school as 625 students in a single graduating class?

even HICP didn't come close to that, haha

loll..oops...my math sucks. I added in another zero. Oh, then I guess we're okay.

It is not easy to fire a pharmacist without worrying about potential lawsuits. The recent grads are the ones who are going to ultimately suffer and pharmacist wage will not increase much over the years.

What lawsuits? It would be as easy to fire a Pharmacists as it would be any employee.

What you are saying does not make any sense. It is the older more expensive Pharmacists who need to worry. It would be very easy for a company to fire higher wage Pharmacists and replace then with a new grad with 100k plus in student loan debt who is ready to snap up any job at any wage.