Locum in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k_sheep

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience locuming in Canada? I've been doing lots of stints in Australia and want to head over there for a couple years and travel around. But there don't seem to be too many jobs openly advertised, and the physician locum companies I've contacted all appear to be identity fraud scams! Any suggestions for companies, or direct contacts?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience locuming in Canada? I've been doing lots of stints in Australia and want to head over there for a couple years and travel around. But there don't seem to be too many jobs openly advertised, and the physician locum companies I've contacted all appear to be identity fraud scams! Any suggestions for companies, or direct contacts?
do you mind sharing info about australia?

Not at all!
Quite easy to find work for histopathology (I'm a general, so AP/CP equivalent), bit more unusual to need clinical path as locums so less opportunities for that. I have worked as a microbiologist or chemical pathologist rarely too. Pay is between AUD$1500-2000/day with travel and accommodation included; the ones I've done haven't included car hire generally so you would have to negotiate that. Personally I just walk to work, use public transport, and sometimes hire a car for weekends to explore.
Length can be 1 day per week, or months at a time. Pretty flexible generally.
I have both approached labs directly and gone through recruitment agencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most ads are for full time positions (I have seen locums advertised from time to time), but Canadian positions are advertised at:

Pathology Outlines: https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/jobs

Canadian Association of Pathologists: https://cap-acp.org/careers.php

Provincial websites (Google search: <Name of province> pathologist job), examples:

Also, regular job search sites, such as LinkedIn and Indeed:

We had a locum who works here during the summer and then head to Florida once winter hits, but COVID forced him to stop doing that, plus he was wayyy past retirement age. Do you have Canadian PR or citizenship? Law do require priority be given to that group first.

Not at all!
Quite easy to find work for histopathology (I'm a general, so AP/CP equivalent), bit more unusual to need clinical path as locums so less opportunities for that. I have worked as a microbiologist or chemical pathologist rarely too. Pay is between AUD$1500-2000/day with travel and accommodation included; the ones I've done haven't included car hire generally so you would have to negotiate that. Personally I just walk to work, use public transport, and sometimes hire a car for weekends to explore.
Length can be 1 day per week, or months at a time. Pretty flexible generally.
I have both approached labs directly and gone through recruitment agencies.
Thank you for sharing the info. Are you Australian citizen?