Locums Market Temp Check

Started by Coffee PRN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The money is in the calls.

You can make a solid 20-25k each week without calls Monday -Friday in most places. 50-60 hrs ($350/400/hr plus overtime hours)

Add call. That adds easily $5k. Add another call another $5k. 2 calls gets you to 35k and that’s just weeknights calls

The money ball is the weekend calls. It takes two to tangle. Meaning the full time w2 staff gotta hook it up. Each 24 hr weekend call worth in the low end $8000 just the beeper rate guarantees per 24 hr to as much as $12000 if you are actually working. Frankly I’d take the 8k cash and gamble to do 1-2 cases in low weekend volume hospital.

That’s how you get to 50k plus for the week.

Depends how much administrators interfere with the schedule the w2 docs make. So if weekend calls are off the table. You won’t make it to 50k.
This makes sense; depending on the hospital system or group, in most cases (not saying all) either calls are not available for locums to take, or the extra work is compensated just enough for the W2 folks to not want to give those to locums. A typical week for someone doing TRAVEL locums (not local 1099) is not 7 days, but 5, since the whole point of doing this for many of us is to eliminate call and weekends.

In my area of S. Florida, that kind of call structure does not exist for local 1099 folks, but that must be dependent on the specific combination of hospital system and private equity in the area (NAPA/TeamHealth/Envision are the biggest players in my area, along with some big hospital systems) as clearly you say you have found a niche. None of those close to me are paying $8000-$12000 for a weekend 24, sadly, and if they did, the W2 folks would jump on it.

The point of my post was to say that there may be a small pocket that you have carved out where this is possible, but I don't think it's helpful for the vast majority of people here across the US because in most cases, W2 folks are happy to pick up extra shifts for suboptimal pay because its convenient, like all the Envision/etc people I know that work pre/postcall for $275-300/hr 😵, or (even worse), people are in W2 jobs where extra calls are forced because of short staffing, and whether they are paid extra or not is irrelevant. It's inherently difficult to move, so if someone is not both willing AND able to walk, the pay is what it is.

I do concede that what you're saying is helpful in that we all should advocate for better weekend/after hours pay and call structures, and its good to share information, but the reality is is that most people who are on staff at these places think their call or pay "is not that bad" and not enough will leave to force employers to make compensation better across the board.
 
Last edited:
The money is in the calls.

You can make a solid 20-25k each week without calls Monday -Friday in most places. 50-60 hrs ($350/400/hr plus overtime hours)

Add call. That adds easily $5k. Add another call another $5k. 2 calls gets you to 35k and that’s just weeknights calls

The money ball is the weekend calls. It takes two to tangle. Meaning the full time w2 staff gotta hook it up. Each 24 hr weekend call worth in the low end $8000 just the beeper rate guarantees per 24 hr to as much as $12000 if you are actually working. Frankly I’d take the 8k cash and gamble to do 1-2 cases in low weekend volume hospital.

That’s how you get to 50k plus for the week.

Depends how much administrators interfere with the schedule the w2 docs make. So if weekend calls are off the table. You won’t make it to 50k.

I worked at a place sort of like this recently. Some of the locums would do in-house call like 2-3x a week and work post call. Call wasn't busy usually, but IMO it’s miserable being in the hospital that much. Also, all the ones doing this were quite out of shape/unhealthy. I guess that makes sense.
 
I worked at a place sort of like this recently. Some of the locums would do in-house call like 2-3x a week and work post call. Call wasn't busy usually, but IMO it’s miserable being in the hospital that much. Also, all the ones doing this were quite out of shape/unhealthy. I guess that makes sense.
Correct. Some of those sites are not for the faint of heart. That’s why Grand Rapids weeds out the lazy 1099 docs who can’t perform Many just want to go in an do preops and not take calls.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Correct. Some of those sites are not for the faint of heart. That’s why Grand Rapids weeds out the lazy 1099 docs who can’t perform Many just want to go in an do preops and not take calls.

Im not necessarily opposed to taking call, but I also try to exercise 7 days a week, eat a healthy diet, and practice good sleep hygiene… as much as I can at least. So I do take call and try to be flexible, but obviously a heavy call burden would not permit one to live a healthy life. Always trade offs though… I can’t make as much money.

I thought I heard Grand Rapids was winding down on their locum‘s use though. Through the grapevine, I heard they were canceling some people‘s contracts or weeks. What have you heard?
 
Im not necessarily opposed to taking call, but I also try to exercise 7 days a week, eat a healthy diet, and practice good sleep hygiene… as much as I can at least. So I do take call and try to be flexible, but obviously a heavy call burden would not permit one to live a healthy life. Always trade offs though… I can’t make as much money.

I thought I heard Grand Rapids was winding down on their locum‘s use though. Through the grapevine, I heard they were canceling some people‘s contracts or weeks. What have you heard?
They definitely overstaffed in the beginning, and I know both adult and pediatric locums being cut/canceled, some even before their first contracted week, outside the cancellation policy. I do know one adult cardiac locums there who was going crazy on call, doing transplants, and making $70Kish per week for a little while.
 
The money is in the calls.

You can make a solid 20-25k each week without calls Monday -Friday in most places. 50-60 hrs ($350/400/hr plus overtime hours)

Add call. That adds easily $5k. Add another call another $5k. 2 calls gets you to 35k and that’s just weeknights calls

The money ball is the weekend calls. It takes two to tangle. Meaning the full time w2 staff gotta hook it up. Each 24 hr weekend call worth in the low end $8000 just the beeper rate guarantees per 24 hr to as much as $12000 if you are actually working. Frankly I’d take the 8k cash and gamble to do 1-2 cases in low weekend volume hospital.

That’s how you get to 50k plus for the week.

Depends how much administrators interfere with the schedule the w2 docs make. So if weekend calls are off the table. You won’t make it to 50k.
I don’t understand why the local docs don’t undercut you for the weekend work.
 
I don’t understand why the local docs don’t undercut you for the weekend work.
I’m actually the cheaper doc! The even more local docs are even more expensive lol.

I don’t think the hospital (who’s ultimately footing the locums bills and just pays the amc) cares about money to he honest. I mean they care but they know it’s business.

The most expensive doc gets some ridiculous $450/hr continuous beeper and in at $400 continuous beeper. And a doc tried to offer them $350/hr continuous and they refused to give it to him lol.
 
I’m actually the cheaper doc! The even more local docs are even more expensive lol.

I don’t think the hospital (who’s ultimately footing the locums bills and just pays the amc) cares about money to he honest. I mean they care but they know it’s business.

The most expensive doc gets some ridiculous $450/hr continuous beeper and in at $400 continuous beeper. And a doc tried to offer them $350/hr continuous and they refused to give it to him lol.
The larger the hospital system, the longer it takes for someone to decide to adjust the rates. We had a situation where locums were getting 400/hr (not even counting the agency fee) yet the hospital refused to pay the full time docs more than 250 to cover extra weekend calls. Predictably nobody signed up and the hospital was getting killed by locums. Still took over 2 years to adjust OT compensation appropriately.
 
I’m actually the cheaper doc! The even more local docs are even more expensive lol.

I don’t think the hospital (who’s ultimately footing the locums bills and just pays the amc) cares about money to he honest. I mean they care but they know it’s business.

The most expensive doc gets some ridiculous $450/hr continuous beeper and in at $400 continuous beeper. And a doc tried to offer them $350/hr continuous and they refused to give it to him lol.

The larger the hospital system, the longer it takes for someone to decide to adjust the rates. We had a situation where locums were getting 400/hr (not even counting the agency fee) yet the hospital refused to pay the full time docs more than 250 to cover extra weekend calls. Predictably nobody signed up and the hospital was getting killed by locums. Still took over 2 years to adjust OT compensation appropriately.


We always paid locums less than we paid ourselves. That’s the only way to retain people and maintain morale. I think Kaiser does the same. If locums made more everybody would quit and become locums.
 
We always paid locums less than we paid ourselves. That’s the only way to retain people and maintain morale. I think Kaiser does the same. If locums made more everybody would quit and become locums.
Good luck with staffing most places with that approach. I know this works for Kaiser so-cal cause those positions are considered auditions for the desirable FT positions at Kaiser though even their rate and lifestyle has changed significantly
 
Good luck with staffing most places with that approach. I know this works for Kaiser so-cal cause those positions are considered auditions for the desirable FT positions at Kaiser though even their rate and lifestyle has changed significantly


We used occasional locums 2-3 years ago. Usually local military or fellows moonlighting. Sometimes a recent grad who’s spouse was doing fellowship in the area but were planning to settle elsewhere or someone who moved here to retire but didn’t want to completely give up anesthesia for a couple years. We were never dependent on locums, never had more than a handful on the roster. We still have a few with privileges but they haven’t been used recently. Currently we’re slightly overstaffed and have frozen hiring for at least a year.
 
Last edited:
We always paid locums less than we paid ourselves. That’s the only way to retain people and maintain morale. I think Kaiser does the same. If locums made more everybody would quit and become locums.

This is not as rare as the gig offering $400/hr continuous beeper or $50K weeks, but more rare than places where locums make less than salaried docs/CRNAs, at least on a per hour basis. (Kaiser and your location seem to be outliers) Also, those are probably "local locums" or rather 1099 contractors, not the more common locums in the true sense, with people traveling and working with an agency to staff a place. (Just semantics I know, I'm just using the term locum as it is viewed by most people) I know another hospital system (academic) that has been able to avoid locums solely due to location; all these places are the exception.

Generally, hospitals/groups/etc will put someone who has left W2 employment status on a "do not call list" in the event they hire a locums agency. When this person is being name cleared, this fact will be discovered early on and they would not be allowed to work there as a locum. This is what prevents people in most places from just cutting free and doing locums at the same place, besides the decreased stability, benefits, not a lower rate than full time staff. Some lucky places have a pool of military/current fellows/etc that are recurrent enough to allow them to avoid a more robust use of locums. I was one of those fellows, and at the time I was happy to make the crappy rate the group offered, as were many before and after me. This is not the norm, however.

More commonly, a hospital will pay a locum AA/CRNA/Anesthesiologist a rate that is 25%+ more than what a W2 person at the same place would get working extra, and when you factor in what the agency charges on top of that, while also paying for travel, it seems to get close to double what a W2 employee would get. Administrators continue to accept this, over and over again at hospitals all over the place, rather than raise W2 compensation by 20/30/whatever percentage because they think the shortage is temporary (I guess 5 years is temporary? 😆 ), the money comes from "a separate pot", and who knows whatever reason beyond what seems to be common sense.
 
Last edited:
We used occasional locums 2-3 years ago. Usually local military or fellows moonlighting. Sometimes a recent grad who’s spouse was doing fellowship in the area but were planning to settle elsewhere or someone who moved here to retire but didn’t want to completely give up anesthesia for a couple years. We were never dependent on locums, never had more than a handful on the roster. We still have a few with privileges but they haven’t been used recently. Currently we’re slightly overstaffed and have frozen hiring for at least a year.
It’s all about supply and demand. If you are happy with ur workload/pay/environment. Administrators happy.

Everyone is happy.

Nothing more needs to be added. And like you said. No need for locums.
 
We always paid locums less than we paid ourselves. That’s the only way to retain people and maintain morale. I think Kaiser does the same. If locums made more everybody would quit and become locums.
We have recently used locums to fill some schedule holes.

It's expensive. OT especially is ridiculously expensive but we're able to avoid that for the most part.

It's less expensive to offer ourselves a premium rate. We can't raise the floor of our own wage to exceed the emergency locums OT rate (obviously) but what is reasonable is offering ourselves enough to lure our own partners into giving up a few vacation days here and there to fill those holes.

We're still actively recruiting partners and have one set to join this summer, and two more likely joins in the interview pipeline.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah we've also had to do a short stint with locums MDs for the first time in decades (due to retirements and maternity.) As a chief I can tell you it's just not worth it if you can avoid it. Even if they are clinically competent and even if they do not have personality issues it's still not worth it. They don't know the culture, they don't know the workflow. They are short term and know it. What follows is complications and patient and surgeon complaints. Then it's hours and hours of service recovery and meetings with admin for those in charge of the anesthesia group This just doesn't work in an established practice.

Agree with @cittykat and @pgg that you need to pay your people higher than any locums, which we do, for any extra work. It's a stopgap until new recruits come in.
 
Yeah we've also had to do a short stint with locums MDs for the first time in decades (due to retirements and maternity.) As a chief I can tell you it's just not worth it if you can avoid it. Even if they are clinically competent and even if they do not have personality issues it's still not worth it. They don't know the culture, they don't know the workflow. They are short term and know it. What follows is complications and patient and surgeon complaints. Then it's hours and hours of service recovery and meetings with admin for those in charge of the anesthesia group This just doesn't work in an established practice.

Agree with @cittykat and @pgg that you need to pay your people higher than any locums, which we do, for any extra work. It's a stopgap until new recruits come in.
Unfortunately taxes play a big factor into working overtime.

Say in states with state income taxes like New York or California. It really doesn’t make sense as an employee to work say for $300/hr w2 overtime. You will be taxed at 37% federal taxes plus 1.45% Medicare taxes plus 0.9% Obamacare Medicare surtax plus state income taxes

So that $300/hr w2 overtime will net 40-50% in terms of taxe burden.

Frankly locums sees tax burden big time. And so do employees.

Crnas at my place can do overrun $200/hr w2. Or go 15 minutes north and get $200/hr 1099

Th choice is clear

The w2 docs are doing it as well. $325/hr w2 overtime vs $300/hr 1099 at surgery center. The w2 aren’t gonna to volunteer to do extra overtime at $325/hr w2.

So the w2 overtime rate needs to be 20% higher than than 1099 rate currently available
 
I’ve seen locums ads say no docs inside 50 miles
Envison south Florida makes up their own rules

No general docs with a state of Florida drivers license lol

But u can live next door Jupiter Florida (s Florida) and if u do cardiac. There is no restrictions how “local” you are.

Lol.

I seriously wonder who sits at the board meetings when making up these locums rules.

They have used 75 miles radius. They have used the entire state of Florida radius rules and they have used zero mile radius rules.

I would figure 50 miles radius is adequate compromise since that’s the irs rules. But there are no rules with these companies.

Again it’s based on supply and demand
 
Envison south Florida makes up their own rules

No general docs with a state of Florida drivers license lol

But u can live next door Jupiter Florida (s Florida) and if u do cardiac. There is no restrictions how “local” you are.

Lol.

I seriously wonder who sits at the board meetings when making up these locums rules.

They have used 75 miles radius. They have used the entire state of Florida radius rules and they have used zero mile radius rules.

I would figure 50 miles radius is adequate compromise since that’s the irs rules. But there are no rules with these companies.

Again it’s based on supply and demand
😆🤦‍♂️
 
What’s crazy is the high OT rate never gets passed on to the locums doc. Most of the time it is only $20 more than their regular rate. Too many locums fail to negotiate the OT rate. The agencies are taking the vast majority of it.
 
What’s crazy is the high OT rate never gets passed on to the locums doc. Most of the time it is only $20 more than their regular rate. Too many locums fail to negotiate the OT rate. The agencies are taking the vast majority of it.
I don’t negotiate high overtime rates. Usually it’s $25/hr more for me.

I don’t care about overtime as much as I care about guaranteed beeper hours. I get 12-24 hr guranteeed beeper rates and gamble that I will work less than 12 or 24 hrs.
 
I don’t negotiate high overtime rates. Usually it’s $25/hr more for me.

I don’t care about overtime as much as I care about guaranteed beeper hours. I get 12-24 hr guranteeed beeper rates and gamble that I will work less than 12 or 24 hrs.
Yup, most places are so hyper focused on getting you out on time; it's the normal daily rate that matters, unless you are taking a lot of call, which I don't.
 
Envison south Florida makes up their own rules

No general docs with a state of Florida drivers license lol
That is completely idiotic and it may not even be legal.
What is stopping anyone from getting a Georgia Driver license.
Not a wonder why these people are losing money.
 
That is completely idiotic and it may not even be legal.
What is stopping anyone from getting a Georgia Driver license.
Not a wonder why these people are losing money.
I’m sure the board room ideology is
“If we only get out of area locums”. “We can control the terms and change it better”. “Out of state locums can’t jump to another hospital as easy as local providers”

That’s their ideology.
 
That is completely idiotic and it may not even be legal.
What is stopping anyone from getting a Georgia Driver license.
Not a wonder why these people are losing money.
Actually it is perfectly logical. Why cultivate a local pool of people that only want to work as locums? Our hospital system does something similar. Not just with docs. Doubt that it is illegal.
 
This is not as rare as the gig offering $400/hr continuous beeper or $50K weeks, but more rare than places where locums make less than salaried docs/CRNAs, at least on a per hour basis. (Kaiser and your location seem to be outliers) Also, those are probably "local locums" or rather 1099 contractors, not the more common locums in the true sense, with people traveling and working with an agency to staff a place. (Just semantics I know, I'm just using the term locum as it is viewed by most people) I know another hospital system (academic) that has been able to avoid locums solely due to location; all these places are the exception.

Generally, hospitals/groups/etc will put someone who has left W2 employment status on a "do not call list" in the event they hire a locums agency. When this person is being name cleared, this fact will be discovered early on and they would not be allowed to work there as a locum. This is what prevents people in most places from just cutting free and doing locums at the same place, besides the decreased stability, benefits, not a lower rate than full time staff. Some lucky places have a pool of military/current fellows/etc that are recurrent enough to allow them to avoid a more robust use of locums. I was one of those fellows, and at the time I was happy to make the crappy rate the group offered, as were many before and after me. This is not the norm, however.

More commonly, a hospital will pay a locum AA/CRNA/Anesthesiologist a rate that is 25%+ more than what a W2 person at the same place would get working extra, and when you factor in what the agency charges on top of that, while also paying for travel, it seems to get close to double what a W2 employee would get. Administrators continue to accept this, over and over again at hospitals all over the place, rather than raise W2 compensation by 20/30/whatever percentage because they think the shortage is temporary (I guess 5 years is temporary? 😆 ), the money comes from "a separate pot", and who knows whatever reason beyond what seems to be common sense.
And it’s not our responsibility to show the hospital it’s errors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m sure the board room ideology is
“If we only get out of area locums”. “We can control the terms and change it better”. “Out of state locums can’t jump to another hospital as easy as local providers”

That’s their ideology.
You don't want local docs coming in. Actually you want as different to your group demographic as possible so people don't start envisioning themselves as locums. If you are a young male dominated group you get an out of state older female, if you are an older established group you get a young foreign grad guy who doesn't speak good English... etc. You do not want to kill morale.
 
Yup, most places are so hyper focused on getting you out on time; it's the normal daily rate that matters, unless you are taking a lot of call, which I don't.
Depends if the group is paying or the hospital. If the hospital is paying, most of the staff are happy with you staying late and finishing since it’s less work for them.
 
ah gotcha didnt realize crnas also strikgin. thought it was just the RNs
Crnas are Chameleons in the world

1. They want to be “doctors” DNP when they want to be and get paid the same as doctors

2. They want to be “independent” when they want to be

3. The want to be “supervised” for those who still want a physician anesthesiologist to fight their battles with other surgeons.

4. If everything else fails. They can default back to being “nurses” and strike.
 
We always paid locums less than we paid ourselves. That’s the only way to retain people and maintain morale. I think Kaiser does the same. If locums made more everybody would quit and become locums.
why do you think over the last 5 years locums has become more pervasive and prevalent?
If everyone becomes locums, then the rates will go up for everybody. Hospitals are realizing this and raising W2 rates moderately to hedge that possible resignation and reliance on locums.

I’ve seen locums ads say no docs inside 50 miles
I saw one. Used my old out of state address. Locums accomodation was paying my mortgage lol.
 
why do you think over the last 5 years locums has become more pervasive and prevalent?
If everyone becomes locums, then the rates will go up for everybody. Hospitals are realizing this and raising W2 rates moderately to hedge that possible resignation and reliance on locums.


I saw one. Used my old out of state address. Locums accomodation was paying my mortgage lol.
I think if Alvin Bragg Manhattan prosecutor went after every hospital with shady accounting when it comes to paying from different pots of money for locums. X pot got housing allowance. X pot subsidy to 3rd party etc. half the ceo would be arrested.

Even some kid with too much time on their hands will comb through many 501c accounting tricks of the trade and expose where all these business deductions are coming from.

The tax free housing subsidy many locums gives in lieu of all inclusive is the biggest scam for “local” locums.
 
why do you think over the last 5 years locums has become more pervasive and prevalent?
If everyone becomes locums, then the rates will go up for everybody. Hospitals are realizing this and raising W2 rates moderately to hedge that possible resignation and reliance on locums.


I saw one. Used my old out of state address. Locums accomodation was paying my mortgage lol.

Locums do generally drive compensation up just as it did for nurses. Locums is not appealing or even an option for me but I’m glad you guys are out there.
 
Locums do generally drive compensation up just as it did for nurses. Locums is not appealing or even an option for me but I’m glad you guys are out there.
There are 3 types of locums
1. Pure 1099 traveling locums who will fly out anywhere for weeks at a time.

2. “Local” 1099 full time locums (the preferred) method and that’s what Envison hates. The best of both worlds for physicians. Almost all the 1099 crnas I know in Florida are full time local locums. Most with fake address and get 50k in tax free housing subsidy on top of their 350-400k 1099 4 days a week no call full time 1099 gig.

3. The prn 1099 locums who don’t travel either. That’s what I am the last 10 years. To supplement my w2 income.

I have zero interest traveling for 1099 work
 
why do you think over the last 5 years locums has become more pervasive and prevalent?
If everyone becomes locums, then the rates will go up for everybody. Hospitals are realizing this and raising W2 rates moderately to hedge that possible resignation and reliance on locums.


I saw one. Used my old out of state address. Locums accomodation was paying my mortgage lol.
Using out of state address does not cause problem for state tax?
 
I’m sure the board room ideology is
“If we only get out of area locums”. “We can control the terms and change it better”. “Out of state locums can’t jump to another hospital as easy as local providers”

That’s their ideology.
is the market that flush where you can dictate what zipcode your locums live?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think if Alvin Bragg Manhattan prosecutor went after every hospital with shady accounting when it comes to paying from different pots of money for locums. X pot got housing allowance. X pot subsidy to 3rd party etc. half the ceo would be arrested.

Even some kid with too much time on their hands will comb through many 501c accounting tricks of the trade and expose where all these business deductions are coming from.

The tax free housing subsidy many locums gives in lieu of all inclusive is the biggest scam for “local” locums.
If its a legal loophole, its not a scam.

There are 3 types of locums
1. Pure 1099 traveling locums who will fly out anywhere for weeks at a time.

2. “Local” 1099 full time locums (the preferred) method and that’s what Envison hates. The best of both worlds for physicians. Almost all the 1099 crnas I know in Florida are full time local locums. Most with fake address and get 50k in tax free housing subsidy on top of their 350-400k 1099 4 days a week no call full time 1099 gig.

3. The prn 1099 locums who don’t travel either. That’s what I am the last 10 years. To supplement my w2 income.

I have zero interest traveling for 1099 work

Take as much money from AMCs as you can.
Using out of state address does not cause problem for state tax?

You misunderstand the point. It doesnt HAVE to be out of state.
It just needs to be far out enough to where you qualify for locums. Same state, different city works as well. My mailing address is my parents home address which is far enough away for me not to be excluded by some of these zip code exclusions.
 
If its a legal loophole, its not a scam.



Take as much money from AMCs as you can.


You misunderstand the point. It doesnt HAVE to be out of state.
It just needs to be far out enough to where you qualify for locums. Same state, different city works as well. My mailing address is my parents home address which is far enough away for me not to be excluded by some of these zip code exclusions.
You aren’t takong money from the AMC in this era of anesthesia

At this stage in the profession. It’s the hospitals who are forking the cash over. The amc is just the middle man.