You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Locums Market Temp Check
Started by Coffee PRN
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I know Kaiser SF has been hiring locums via Coker/Jackson. Not sure if they're still onboarding more. I was advertised $350/hr 1099.Let me clarify Bay Area, Orange County or LA county not Eureka or other boonies.
Literally just received this email (I know you said no boonies, but...). Says supervising residents, which I have to assume means UC Davis/Sacramento, which is actually quite nice. Not sure there are other anesthesia residencies in "central california."
I hope you’re doing well. I wanted to share a great locums opportunity for a Board Certified Anesthesiologist in Central California starting mid-July and ongoing into 2026.
Assignment Details:
If you’re interested or would like more details, feel free to reply to this email or give me a call—I’d be happy to discuss further.
Jackson Parker| 678-277-3068| [email protected]
I hope you’re doing well. I wanted to share a great locums opportunity for a Board Certified Anesthesiologist in Central California starting mid-July and ongoing into 2026.
Assignment Details:
- Schedule: Monday–Friday, 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Call: 1:5 weeknight call (call takers needed); weekend call optional
- Setting: Main OR, Endoscopy, and some OB cases
- Responsibilities: Supervising residents while also handling your own cases
- EMR: Cerner
If you’re interested or would like more details, feel free to reply to this email or give me a call—I’d be happy to discuss further.
Jackson Parker| 678-277-3068| [email protected]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cittykat
Full Member
Literally just received this email (I know you said no boonies, but...). Says supervising residents, which I have to assume means UC Davis/Sacramento, which is actually quite nice. Not sure there are other anesthesia residencies in "central california."
I hope you’re doing well. I wanted to share a great locums opportunity for a Board Certified Anesthesiologist in Central California starting mid-July and ongoing into 2026.
Assignment Details:
This is a solid long-term opportunity with a balanced case mix and consistent schedule.
- Schedule: Monday–Friday, 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Call: 1:5 weeknight call (call takers needed); weekend call optional
- Setting: Main OR, Endoscopy, and some OB cases
- Responsibilities: Supervising residents while also handling your own cases
- EMR: Cerner
If you’re interested or would like more details, feel free to reply to this email or give me a call—I’d be happy to discuss further.
Jackson Parker| 678-277-3068| [email protected]
Could also be this recently opened program.
Dignity Health California Residency and Training Programs
Explore robust primary care, specialty care and nurse residencies, as well as fellowship programs, in a supportive environment at Dignity Health California.
Or Kaweah delta in Visalia.
Both much less desirable than Davis/sacramento.
Not sure which is worse. Visalia or Bakersfield haha
cittykat
Full Member
Not sure which is worse. Visalia or Bakersfield haha
Or Stockton
cittykat
Full Member
I know Kaiser SF has been hiring locums via Coker/Jackson. Not sure if they're still onboarding more. I was advertised $350/hr 1099.
Cedars in LA has similar rate.
I had no idea all those places had residencies!
Average rate is 400/hr in CA these days. In line with national average.Any decent locums gigs in cali these days?
Miami is horrible $275/hr in many places. $300/hr. If u are lucky $350-hrAverage rate is 400/hr in CA these days. In line with national average.
It’s all regional what rates pay
$400/hr should net u $650-700k and leave you 10 weeks off. And limited calls and nights and weekends. That’s pretty good even in high cost California and if it’s 1099.
cittykat
Full Member
I had no idea all those places had residencies!
Huge need in the Central Valley so they’re popping up and filling. Doubt the trainees will settle there though. If they keep 10-20% I’d be surprised.
400/hr all inclusive. Decent for locals, not so great for out of state.I know Kaiser SF has been hiring locums via Coker/Jackson. Not sure if they're still onboarding more. I was advertised $350/hr 1099.
That’s not bad.400/hr all inclusive. Decent for locals, not so great for out of state.
Envison and even Napa have stupid 75 miles or 60 miles “rules” for locals so they don’t want locals
but of course if they are desperate they will make exceptions. They started requiring drivers license checks 2 years ago.
I've been able to get a lot more 450/hr offers for general lately after some light negotiating. Hold your line, rates are still increasing. 400/hr minimum.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
Central valley and sac pay rate is usually lower than bay area. Makes no sense to drive further inland and get paid less.
cittykat
Full Member
That’s not bad.
Envison and even Napa have stupid 75 miles or 60 miles “rules” for locals so they don’t want locals
but of course if they are desperate they will make exceptions. They started requiring drivers license checks 2 years ago.
Thanks to AAEM, Envision completely exited the state of CA. They have no remaining sites in NorCal or SoCal.
Update: AAEM-PG Lawsuit Against Envision Healthcare
MILWAUKEE – The American Academy of Emergency Medicine Physician Group’s (AAEM-PG) lawsuit against Envision Healthcare and Envision Physician Services charging them with illegally engaging in the corporate practice of medicine (CPOM) has ended with the healthcare giant withdrawing from all...
www.aaemphysiciangroup.com
“MILWAUKEE – The American Academy of Emergency Medicine Physician Group’s (AAEM-PG) lawsuit against Envision Healthcare and Envision Physician Services charging them with illegally engaging in the corporate practice of medicine (CPOM) has ended with the healthcare giant withdrawing from all operations in the State of California. AAEM-PG resolved the case on confidential terms, including a partial reimbursement of AAEM-PG’s attorneys’ fees and costs relating to the suit. Even without a final judgment, however, the case may have a lasting impact in California for lay entities who seek to purchase medical practices and the private equity companies that fund those purchases.
The suit challenged the “friendly physician model” by which non-physicians operate a medical practice in violation of law. In order not to run afoul of rules barring lay businesses from employing doctors, a single “friendly physician” owns a physician group that acts as the direct employer of physicians, but a lay entity nominally providing management services is really in control of the practice, including, billing, staffing, hours, payor contracting, and budgets. The suit alleged the friendly physician was not in fact the real owner of the medical group because of stock transfer agreements that did not allow him to realize profits from the entity aside from a salary set by the lay entity or, to transfer his ownership of the group without consent of the lay entity. The model is used throughout the nation.“
California has difference rules for employing doctors w2 than other states.Thanks to AAEM, Envision completely exited the state of CA. They have no remaining sites in NorCal or SoCal.
Update: AAEM-PG Lawsuit Against Envision Healthcare
MILWAUKEE – The American Academy of Emergency Medicine Physician Group’s (AAEM-PG) lawsuit against Envision Healthcare and Envision Physician Services charging them with illegally engaging in the corporate practice of medicine (CPOM) has ended with the healthcare giant withdrawing from all...www.aaemphysiciangroup.com
“MILWAUKEE – The American Academy of Emergency Medicine Physician Group’s (AAEM-PG) lawsuit against Envision Healthcare and Envision Physician Services charging them with illegally engaging in the corporate practice of medicine (CPOM) has ended with the healthcare giant withdrawing from all operations in the State of California. AAEM-PG resolved the case on confidential terms, including a partial reimbursement of AAEM-PG’s attorneys’ fees and costs relating to the suit. Even without a final judgment, however, the case may have a lasting impact in California for lay entities who seek to purchase medical practices and the private equity companies that fund those purchases.
The suit challenged the “friendly physician model” by which non-physicians operate a medical practice in violation of law. In order not to run afoul of rules barring lay businesses from employing doctors, a single “friendly physician” owns a physician group that acts as the direct employer of physicians, but a lay entity nominally providing management services is really in control of the practice, including, billing, staffing, hours, payor contracting, and budgets. The suit alleged the friendly physician was not in fact the real owner of the medical group because of stock transfer agreements that did not allow him to realize profits from the entity aside from a salary set by the lay entity or, to transfer his ownership of the group without consent of the lay entity. The model is used throughout the nation.“
Notice most of California is 1099 jobs for anesthesia outside of Kaiser and or academic or state supported hospitals
cittykat
Full Member
California has difference rules for employing doctors w2 than other states.
Notice most of California is 1099 jobs for anesthesia outside of Kaiser and or academic or state supported hospitals
Nah lots of private groups are W2 but they are truly physician owned, the physician owners share the profits and important decisions are made by the physician owners. That’s the key test. That’s one reason that there are so many physician only practices remaining in the state and big metro areas are still predominantly physician only.
I think you guys are saying the same thing. CA corporate practice of medicine law is pretty strong; ergo, private practice is still surviving.Nah lots of private groups are W2 but they are truly physician owned, the physician owners share the profits and important decisions are made by the physician owners. That’s the key test. That’s one reason that there are so many physician only practices remaining in the state and big metro areas are still predominantly physician only.
I’m talking strict w2. No K1 or whatever else is being offered. Pretax cars etc.Nah lots of private groups are W2 but they are truly physician owned, the physician owners share the profits and important decisions are made by the physician owners. That’s the key test. That’s one reason that there are so many physician only practices remaining in the state and big metro areas are still predominantly physician only.
California laws are different and envision doesn’t offer that structure for most places including California.
Outside a few sellouts I know where the original Sheridan kicked back the original partners 100-300k annual in profit sharing. On top of their w2 salary. Every employee (who was not in on those special buyout deals) was paid straight w2 outside the few practices that negotiated those type of buyouts.
Yes. Different states. Different laws. It’s not that Envison (Sheridan when they came into the state) left the state on its own. It’s the state laws and the business structureI think you guys are saying the same thing. CA corporate practice of medicine law is pretty strong; ergo, private practice is still surviving.
cittykat
Full Member
I’m talking strict w2. No K1 or whatever else is being offered. Pretax cars etc.
California laws are different and envision doesn’t offer that structure for most places including California.
Outside a few sellouts I know where the original Sheridan kicked back the original partners 100-300k annual in profit sharing. On top of their w2 salary. Every employee (who was not in on those special buyout deals) was paid straight w2 outside the few practices that negotiated those type of buyouts.
Yes strict W2. No K1.
Why would you pay ur self strict w2 if you are physician owners?Yes strict W2. No K1.
U gotta have access to defined benefits up to 200k pretax and others pretax structures.
cittykat
Full Member
Why would you pay ur self strict w2 if you are physician owners?
U gotta have access to defined benefits up to 200k pretax and others pretax structures.
Pretax retirement savings hits $200k around age 40. All other legitimate business expenses also paid pretax and never shows up on W2.
Arch Guillotti
Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Why not?Why would you pay ur self strict w2 if you are physician owners?
They said the paid themselves a strict w2. This is not the case.Why not?
When you work for Envison as a “strict” w2, you do not get luxuries like this massive pretax deductions.
Details bruh. Details people leave out that they “paid themselves a strict w2”
Completely false statement.
You are not a strict w2.Pretax retirement savings hits $200k around age 40. All other legitimate business expenses also paid pretax and never shows up on W2.
cittykat
Full Member
You are not a strict w2.
Then what is it? The only form I get from my employer is a W2 at the end of January.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cittykat
Full Member
They said the paid themselves a strict w2. This is not the case.
When you work for Envison as a “strict” w2, you do not get luxuries like this massive pretax deductions.
Details bruh. Details people leave out that they “paid themselves a strict w2”
Completely false statement.
I never worked for envision.
We’re a 100% physician owned group. Like all business owner/employees we are allowed to have tax deferred 401k, profit sharing, and CBP plans and we have all 3 because we’re not stupid.
Correct. That’s the real drawback with working with these management companies. Too much w2 income exposed to taxes.I never worked for envision.
We’re a 100% physician owned group. Like all business owner/employees we are allowed to have tax deferred 401k, profit sharing, and CBP plans and we have all 3 because we’re not stupid.
When my private group in Florida (contract got stolen by team health). I looked at team health package and didn’t want my w2 income being exposed.
Our private group had similar pretax benefits like your private group for partners and employees.
We aren’t stupid either
But I would never call the practice arrangement “strict” w2. That’s what I meant by you aren’t strict w2 with those pretax arrangements
Strict w2 to me is
1. 401/403b pretax (or Roth these days) with potentially employer matching ). These big amc like team health and Envison offer zero matching for doctors
No other true pretax benefits. Sure u get healthcare /fsa/hsa maybe some small education stipend.
But it’s not like our private group where we had a stash of 100k to pay healthcare, cme , cars pretax) per employee.
Amcs do not offer that. And that’s what I mean by strict w2. Almost all income exposed to w2 taxes
You are not a strict w2. Its your working
I made 400k 1099 last year and paid myself 100k w2. Am I a “strict” w2 employee of my own company? No. Because I control pretax deductions.
cittykat
Full Member
Correct. That’s the real drawback with working with these management companies. Too much w2 income exposed to taxes.
When my private group in Florida (contract got stolen by team health). I looked at team health package and didn’t want my w2 income being exposed.
Our private group had similar pretax benefits like your private group for partners and employees.
We aren’t stupid either
But I would never call the practice arrangement “strict” w2. That’s what I meant by you aren’t strict w2 with those pretax arrangements
Strict w2 to me is
1. 401/403b pretax (or Roth these days) with potentially employer matching ). These big amc like team health and Envison offer zero matching for doctors
No other true pretax benefits. Sure u get healthcare /fsa/hsa maybe some small education stipend.
But it’s not like our private group where we had a stash of 100k to pay healthcare, cme , cars pretax) per employee.
Amcs do not offer that. And that’s what I mean by strict w2. Almost all income exposed to w2 taxes
You are not a strict w2. Its your working
I made 400k 1099 last year and paid myself 100k w2. Am I a “strict” w2 employee of my own company? No. Because I control pretax deductions.
We don’t do cars. Our lawyers told us not to. We can deduct mileage if we travel from one site to another on the same day which is very rare.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
Literally just received this email (I know you said no boonies, but...). Says supervising residents, which I have to assume means UC Davis/Sacramento, which is actually quite nice. Not sure there are other anesthesia residencies in "central california."
I hope you’re doing well. I wanted to share a great locums opportunity for a Board Certified Anesthesiologist in Central California starting mid-July and ongoing into 2026.
Assignment Details:
This is a solid long-term opportunity with a balanced case mix and consistent schedule.
- Schedule: Monday–Friday, 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Call: 1:5 weeknight call (call takers needed); weekend call optional
- Setting: Main OR, Endoscopy, and some OB cases
- Responsibilities: Supervising residents while also handling your own cases
- EMR: Cerner
If you’re interested or would like more details, feel free to reply to this email or give me a call—I’d be happy to discuss further.
Jackson Parker| 678-277-3068| [email protected]
Thank you,
I prefer doing my own cases. Sacramento would be a 90minute to 2 hour drive for me each way. Id consider it and stay at a hotel if the rate was much higher than 400. 400 rate can easily be had in the bay area itself.
My priorities are:
1) convenience
2)rate
If inconvenient then the rate better be higher. I am still getting 120 hours a month or more a month at 400/hr.
I want more income but can settle for 40-50k a month working 2-3weeks a month during weekday daylight hours only.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
Thats a a low rate.I know Kaiser SF has been hiring locums via Coker/Jackson. Not sure if they're still onboarding more. I was advertised $350/hr 1099.
SF is a pain to get in and out of. unless you live in SF, it is very inconvenient.
Ucsf is always looking and they advertise 375/hr.
400/hr I have and get 120 hours or more each month. I want more income. Can be higher rate or more hours or ideally both. Lol.
I do my own cases and prefer not supervising.
Anyways. That’s why you really do not want to work with Envison team health unless it’s offering you something in return like time off or 2 guranteee non clinical days. Something. But the daily grind with 8 week of vacation plus everything taxed at 50% with California is stupidWe don’t do cars. Our lawyers told us not to. We can deduct mileage if we travel from one site to another on the same day which is very rare.
No real benefit except to exposed all ur w2 income to federal and state income taxes and very little pretax deduction.
120 hr a month isn’t great for 1099 work. Steady. But not great. You want 120 hrs a week.Thats a a low rate.
SF is a pain to get in and out of. unless you live in SF, it is very inconvenient.
Ucsf is always looking and they advertise 375/hr.
400/hr I have and get 120 hours or more each month. I want more income. Can be higher rate or more hours or ideally both. Lol.
I do my own cases and prefer not supervising.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
I want half of that a week. 50-60hrs a week. Unless it’s a low volume place with no ob. in my opinion weekday daytime work is 400-450/hr. Nights weekends summer and holidays should pay much more.120 hr a month isn’t great for 1099 work. Steady. But not great. You want 120 hrs a week.
Agree. Daytime places that are super busy solo 12 hrs a day can be brutal at 60 hrs a week.I want half of that a week. 50-60hrs a week. Unless it’s a low volume place with no ob. in my opinion weekday daytime work is 400-450/hr. Nights weekends summer and holidays should pay much more.
Nights and weekends /low volume are generally my target.
Like you, I prioritize convenience over rate, and my San Francisco city gigs are very easy for me to get to. I have not seen that rate for UCSF, and I know people who are working there on a per diem basis for 275 an hour, W-2. (I realize per diem rates and locum‘s rates might be different). Either way, the Ucsf positions are meat grinders. Running four rooms in different parts of the hospital with extremely sick patients.Thats a a low rate.
SF is a pain to get in and out of. unless you live in SF, it is very inconvenient.
Ucsf is always looking and they advertise 375/hr.
400/hr I have and get 120 hours or more each month. I want more income. Can be higher rate or more hours or ideally both. Lol.
I do my own cases and prefer not supervising.
If your employer (your group) has a written policy requiring employees (you) to maintain a home office as a condition of employment, then cars are very much on the table and well within the bounds of acceptable practice.We don’t do cars. Our lawyers told us not to. We can deduct mileage if we travel from one site to another on the same day which is very rare.
I do a fair amount of side work in the Bay Area and have not seen a rate of 400 an hour 1099, but I would be interested if you are willing to share the gravy!Thank you,
I prefer doing my own cases. Sacramento would be a 90minute to 2 hour drive for me each way. Id consider it and stay at a hotel if the rate was much higher than 400. 400 rate can easily be had in the bay area itself.
My priorities are:
1) convenience
2)rate
If inconvenient then the rate better be higher. I am still getting 120 hours a month or more a month at 400/hr.
I want more income but can settle for 40-50k a month working 2-3weeks a month during weekday daylight hours only.
If your employer (your group) has a written policy requiring employees (you) to maintain a home office as a condition of employment, then cars are very much on the table and well within the bounds of acceptable practice.
This is correct. Everyone does this. Easily justified if you cover more than one site. Plus I don’t think the IRS will go after you for such a small amount.
Only if your accountant is super conservative.
I never worked for envision.
We’re a 100% physician owned group. Like all business owner/employees we are allowed to have tax deferred 401k, profit sharing, and CBP plans and we have all 3 because we’re not stupid.
If the corporate structure is set up correctly, even a hospital owned group should be able to do this. My hospital owned practice has a 401K, CBP, and a HSA. Was pretty important when I looked for jobs.
When the old M.A.C anesthesia practice sold out to Sheridan (aka Amsurg/envisjon) back around 2013This is correct. Everyone does this. Easily justified if you cover more than one site. Plus I don’t think the IRS will go after you for such a small amount.
Only if your accountant is super conservative.
If the corporate structure is set up correctly, even a hospital owned group should be able to do this. My hospital owned practice has a 401K, CBP, and a HSA. Was pretty important when I looked for jobs.
I highly doubt the “new” employees of Sheridan in 2014 had any of the same pretax options as the original M.A.C practice.
“
By all accounts, MAC is a well-respected and highly successful anesthesia practice, with more than 100 physicians — shareholders, non-shareholders, and independent contractors — who provide anesthesiology services to five hospitals and 23 ambulatory surgery settings in northern California. So why did this group decide to sell?”
An anesthesia practice is sold, and a warning to young doctors
What does the future look like for anesthesia practices that haven’t yet begun courtship with a corporate buyer or merger partner?
kevinmd.com
Definitely would factor into job considerations the tax hit working for Sheridan/Envison in California with its high state income taxes
cittykat
Full Member
If your employer (your group) has a written policy requiring employees (you) to maintain a home office as a condition of employment, then cars are very much on the table and well within the bounds of acceptable practice.
Yes, my friend’s group does this.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
My guess would be the senior partners taking a nice lump sum for selling their shares to Sheridan and getting ready for retirement. The junior guys got nothingWhen the old M.A.C anesthesia practice sold out to Sheridan (aka Amsurg/envisjon) back around 2013
I highly doubt the “new” employees of Sheridan in 2014 had any of the same pretax options as the original M.A.C practice.
“
By all accounts, MAC is a well-respected and highly successful anesthesia practice, with more than 100 physicians — shareholders, non-shareholders, and independent contractors — who provide anesthesiology services to five hospitals and 23 ambulatory surgery settings in northern California. So why did this group decide to sell?”
![]()
An anesthesia practice is sold, and a warning to young doctors
What does the future look like for anesthesia practices that haven’t yet begun courtship with a corporate buyer or merger partner?kevinmd.com
Definitely would factor into job considerations the tax hit working for Sheridan/Envison in California with its high state income taxes
But the other factor is being employed by Sheridan as a true “w2” with almost all w2 income subjected to 50% California state and federal income taxes and Medicare taxes and Obamacare taxes after 500k.My guess would be the senior partners taking a nice lump sum for selling their shares to Sheridan and getting ready for retirement. The junior guys got nothing
That’s gotta be a horrible feeling working for 50 cents on the dollar after 500k instead of getting to shield it via defined benefits plan and letting it grow tax free. Which Sheridan didn’t offer.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
if anyone is getting ~450 rates in cali I would appreciate if you shared. Mostly 375-400 is what I am seeing. Probably great negotiation.
Thanks.
Thanks.
cittykat
Full Member
I had no idea all those places had residencies!
Couple more
Roseville
Sutter Roseville Medical Center Anesthesiology Residency Program at Sutter Health
The Roseville Anesthesiology Residency Program is dedicated to providing a solid educational foundation for future physicians.
Soon to open in Modesto
Wow. I’m surprised.Couple more
Roseville
![]()
Sutter Roseville Medical Center Anesthesiology Residency Program at Sutter Health
The Roseville Anesthesiology Residency Program is dedicated to providing a solid educational foundation for future physicians.www.sutterhealth.org
Soon to open in Modesto