-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Locums Market Temp Check
Started by Coffee PRN
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
in NJ 325 to 350 is the overall average rate. If you are lucky then something more here or there once in a while. If I were to hold out for 400/hr minimum I'd be out of a job as locums here lol
Anyone know what’s going on in OKC, assume OU?
Gotten about 100 emails and texts for locums work there.
Can u send me the link about this place?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
in NJ 325 to 350 is the overall average rate. If you are lucky then something more here or there once in a while. If I were to hold out for 400/hr minimum I'd be out of a job as locums here lol
That is concerning
It’s ok to be working for $325/hr. I work for $300/hr sometimes. But most of the time I’m not doing any work and at home on a running clock.
But I certainly wouldn’t be “working” like physically in the OR for $300/hr especially if it’s a long term assignment I needed the money with.
But I certainly wouldn’t be “working” like physically in the OR for $300/hr especially if it’s a long term assignment I needed the money with.
It’s ok to be working for $325/hr. I work for $300/hr sometimes. But most of the time I’m not doing any work and at home on a running clock.
But I certainly wouldn’t be “working” like physically in the OR for $300/hr especially if it’s a long term assignment I needed the money with.
300/hr to hold a pager at home is fine. Thats the only situation where that is acceptable. **** the semi retired boomers taking 300/hr for regular hours in house.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
It’s all relative. One mans trash is another mans treasure. For me to fly 6 hours and take 325/hr that would be trash but for you if it is convenient and not a very demanding workflow it could be treasure.
To me convenience and rate are inversely related. The more inconvenient a job the higher I expect the rate. It doesn’t always work that way as someone may be willing to take a lower rate as it may not be as inconvenient for them or they don’t know any better.
Local market here is 375-400/hr that I know of. There may be others that make more and don't share or have better negotiating skills.
Some may take 350 also. Anyone taking less than 350 here is being robbed by either the group or the locums agency or possibly both.
To me convenience and rate are inversely related. The more inconvenient a job the higher I expect the rate. It doesn’t always work that way as someone may be willing to take a lower rate as it may not be as inconvenient for them or they don’t know any better.
Local market here is 375-400/hr that I know of. There may be others that make more and don't share or have better negotiating skills.
Some may take 350 also. Anyone taking less than 350 here is being robbed by either the group or the locums agency or possibly both.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
It was a supervision job. I don’t know rates or hospital as I do my own cases and didn’t pursue.Anyone know what’s going on in OKC, assume OU?
Gotten about 100 emails and texts for locums work there.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
5x10s (7a–5p)
• No call
• 2+ weeks/month preferred
Work Details:
• Level 1 Trauma, high-acuity tertiary center
• Adult anesthesia only (no cardiac/OB)
• Medical direction model (mostly supervising CRNAs, some solo)
• Epic EMR
• Anesthesia tech support
Requirements:
• Board Certified (ABMS/AOA)
• ACLS & BLS
• Active OK license or willing to obtain
• Recent Level 1 trauma experience required
• Clean background/no malpractice
This was copied from one of the messages I found about okc job.
• No call
• 2+ weeks/month preferred
Work Details:
• Level 1 Trauma, high-acuity tertiary center
• Adult anesthesia only (no cardiac/OB)
• Medical direction model (mostly supervising CRNAs, some solo)
• Epic EMR
• Anesthesia tech support
Requirements:
• Board Certified (ABMS/AOA)
• ACLS & BLS
• Active OK license or willing to obtain
• Recent Level 1 trauma experience required
• Clean background/no malpractice
This was copied from one of the messages I found about okc job.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
It’s all relative. One mans trash is another mans treasure. For me to fly 6 hours and take 325/hr that would be trash but for you if it is convenient and not a very demanding workflow it could be treasure.in NJ 325 to 350 is the overall average rate. If you are lucky then something more here or there once in a while. If I were to hold out for 400/hr minimum I'd be out of a job as locums here lol
To me convenience and rate are inversely related. The more inconvenient a job the higher I expect the rate. It doesn’t always work that way as someone may be willing to take a lower rate as it may not be as inconvenient for them or they don’t know any better.
Local market here is 375-400/hr that I know of. There may be others that make more and don't share or have better negotiating skills.
Some may take 350 also. Anyone taking less than 350 here is being robbed by either the group or the locums agency or possibly both.
The OKC job is being offered at 330/hr. through LocumTenens.com. A fellow Locums who is from OK says the pay in that state is pretty low across the board. The place is an academic hospital so I assume OU.It was a supervision job. I don’t know rates or hospital as I do my own cases and didn’t pursue.
Last edited:
The OKC job is being offered at 330/hr. through LocumTenens.com. A fellow Locums who is from OK says the pay in that state is pretty low across the board.
That's a crap rate for a fly over state. Good luck filling that.
Surprisingly, the Locums recruiter said they have some people already apply for the job. Likely new grads or those who have a negative history.That's a crap rate for a fly over state. Good luck filling that.
Surprisingly, the Locums recruiter said they have some people already apply for the job. Likely new grads or those who have a negative history.
Locum recruiters lie through their teeth. They always want to make it seem it is a great deal.. see so many anesthesiologists are applying there !!
Perspective. If you are professional locums willing to travel. This rate is unattractive.That's a crap rate for a fly over state. Good luck filling that.
Like others said. Workload and not losing 2 days off work can attract more local candidates.
So many locals I know are doing locums these days who also have hybrid full time w2 jobs with tons of vacation. They may take a lower locums rate on their off days if the location is close.
I know Hawaii is beautiful. I’d visit for regular vacay. But I’m not flying there for $425/hr plus pay 11% state income taxes or whatever the tax rate is plus lose 2 travel days. I got back from break. Even flying first. I felt crappy with the 6 hr time zone difference and took call 18 hrs after being home. U need 2 full days to recover to start really working again.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
425/hr? From what I have heard Hawaii pay is much lower as it is beautiful. I agree with you on 6 hr flight part. For me I get stuck with Ca taxes.Perspective. If you are professional locums willing to travel. This rate is unattractive.
Like others said. Workload and not losing 2 days off work can attract more local candidates.
So many locals I know are doing locums these days who also have hybrid full time w2 jobs with tons of vacation. They may take a lower locums rate on their off days if the location is close.
I know Hawaii is beautiful. I’d visit for regular vacay. But I’m not flying there for $425/hr plus pay 11% state income taxes or whatever the tax rate is plus lose 2 travel days. I got back from break. Even flying first. I felt crappy with the 6 hr time zone difference and took call 18 hrs after being home. U need 2 full days to recover to start really working again.
Hypothetically if I lived in FL or taxes is there a way to circumvent state taxes if I flew to hawaii for 3 months? Lets Say locums agency is in Texas. How will they know you earned money in Hawaii when you git paid by a Texas agency and didn’t reside in Hawaii. Stayed at a hotel. Will being credentialed at a Hawaii hospital and having a Hawaii state license be enough for them to want to tax your income?
At $300/hr locums. That’s only 500k factoring 10 weeks off and 40 hr work week. They are paying you crna locums wages.
I see so many urban places in Florida pay docs $300-hr w2 extra shifts. Why?
Because crnas are at $190-210/hr plus agency fees. So a doc $300/hr w2 extra shifts is equivalent to a crna
And crna are more fickle than docs when they want to work.
So first things docs need to do is to stop working extra w2 shifts. But most are too lazy and will settle for the w2 extra shifts first.
I see so many urban places in Florida pay docs $300-hr w2 extra shifts. Why?
Because crnas are at $190-210/hr plus agency fees. So a doc $300/hr w2 extra shifts is equivalent to a crna
And crna are more fickle than docs when they want to work.
So first things docs need to do is to stop working extra w2 shifts. But most are too lazy and will settle for the w2 extra shifts first.
It’s random who they audit. Depends who audits and the money trail flows. My crna friend got audited by state of Pennsylvania working in Florida. She had home in handle and Pennsylvania went after her. Again. Chances are slim.425/hr? From what I have heard Hawaii pay is much lower as it is beautiful. I agree with you on 6 hr flight part. For me I get stuck with Ca taxes.
Hypothetically if I lived in FL or taxes is there a way to circumvent state taxes if I flew to hawaii for 3 months? Lets Say locums agency is in Texas. How will they know you earned money in Hawaii when you git paid by a Texas agency and didn’t reside in Hawaii. Stayed at a hotel. Will being credentialed at a Hawaii hospital and having a Hawaii state license be enough for them to want to tax your income?
$425/hr is the agreed rate for Hawaii. It’s well known.
It’s random who they audit. Depends who audits and the money trail flows. My crna friend got audited by state of Pennsylvania working in Florida. She had home in handle and Pennsylvania went after her. Again. Chances are slim.
$425/hr is the agreed rate for Hawaii. It’s well known.
425 for Hawaii is a good rate. Ive looked on thr locum board over the past few years it seems like the gigs (when they show up) were always in the low to mid 300 range
It’s ok to be working for $325/hr. I work for $300/hr sometimes. But most of the time I’m not doing any work and at home on a running clock.
But I certainly wouldn’t be “working” like physically in the OR for $300/hr especially if it’s a long term assignment I needed the money with.
I'm doing something similar. 325/hr for 24 hour OB shift. 12 hours daytime, everything is done by 2 CRNAs, I normally just relax, work on my other projects, read, or sleep during this time. Next 12 is by myself with the occasional C-section and 1-2 epidurals. 15 minutes from my house. Easy 7800 when you account for the amount of actual work done.
I would never do 330/hr for a level 1 where I am busy. Thats 425-450 all day every day.The OKC job is being offered at 330/hr. through LocumTenens.com. A fellow Locums who is from OK says the pay in that state is pretty low across the board. The place is an academic hospital so I assume OU.
Anyone think this is real?
It’s a “Go-go-go” type of facility.
View attachment 419181
It’s a “Go-go-go” type of facility.
Go go go = let's cut corners
Go go go = move the meat!Go go go = let's cut corners
Go go go = let's cut corners
better go-go-go get me my $500/hr rate!View attachment 419181
It’s a “Go-go-go” type of facility.
better go-go-go get me my $500/hr rate!
They will probably tell you to go go get out of here because their rate is 250/hour
Sounds more like a no-no-no type “opportunity”They will probably tell you to go go get out of here because their rate is 250/hour
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
Perhaps a crna posting. If any md is taking that rate, its on them. I remember last year 300-350 rate for cedars. Comphealth advertised rates are generally 25-50/hr lower than most other agencies. But 200-250 is prepandemic rates. Maybe they never updated the ad from then.View attachment 419180
Anyone think this is real?
You can always lie but it would be a pretty open and shut case if you physically worked in Hawaii and did not file state income tax. With software engineering or remote work, it's more of an argument and interpretation.425/hr? From what I have heard Hawaii pay is much lower as it is beautiful. I agree with you on 6 hr flight part. For me I get stuck with Ca taxes.
Hypothetically if I lived in FL or taxes is there a way to circumvent state taxes if I flew to hawaii for 3 months? Lets Say locums agency is in Texas. How will they know you earned money in Hawaii when you git paid by a Texas agency and didn’t reside in Hawaii. Stayed at a hotel. Will being credentialed at a Hawaii hospital and having a Hawaii state license be enough for them to want to tax your income?
Hawaii imposes a tax on Hawaii-sourced income. If you work more than 60 days, you're required to actually withhold as well.
Your employer (locum agency or your own S-corp) is responsible for compliance and filing that income was earned in Hawaii. Sure, as an S-corp you can pretend to forget to do this but remember on the payor side (the hospital/asc), they filed in their taxes they made payments to you. Easy red flag for the system to see you did not file on your end. Also, there is a tip hotline that has a percentage reward associated with reporting evasion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not quite. The agency is located on n Texas as is the provider. There is nothing on the 1099 tying him to Hawaii. If someone did a deep dive than yeah, but not sure the computer would flag it…You can always lie but it would be a pretty open and shut case if you physically worked in Hawaii and did not file state income tax. With software engineering or remote work, it's more of an argument and interpretation.
Hawaii imposes a tax on Hawaii-sourced income. If you work more than 60 days, you're required to actually withhold as well.
Your employer (locum agency or your own S-corp) is responsible for compliance and filing that income was earned in Hawaii. Sure, as an S-corp you can pretend to forget to do this but remember on the payor side (the hospital/asc), they filed in their taxes they made payments to you. Easy red flag for the system to see you did not file on your end. Also, there is a tip hotline that has a percentage reward associated with reporting evasion.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
Hypothetically speaking.You can always lie but it would be a pretty open and shut case if you physically worked in Hawaii and did not file state income tax. With software engineering or remote work, it's more of an argument and interpretation.
Hawaii imposes a tax on Hawaii-sourced income. If you work more than 60 days, you're required to actually withhold as well.
Your employer (locum agency or your own S-corp) is responsible for compliance and filing that income was earned in Hawaii. Sure, as an S-corp you can pretend to forget to do this but remember on the payor side (the hospital/asc), they filed in their taxes they made payments to you. Easy red flag for the system to see you did not file on your end. Also, there is a tip hotline that has a percentage reward associated with reporting evasion.
1099 income came from a texas locums agency and primary residence is also Texas or Florida.
Only items that tie doctorto Hawaii are the hospital privileges in Hawaii and the state license. The Hawaiian hospital paid the locums agency and the Texas based locums agency paid the doctor ~ 20% less to the doctor working.
1099 will come from the Texas agency.
There was no payment from Hawaii hospital to the doctor.
there is no gray area here.Hypothetically speaking.
1099 income came from a texas locums agency and primary residence is also Texas or Florida.
Only items that tie doctorto Hawaii are the hospital privileges in Hawaii and the state license. The Hawaiian hospital paid the locums agency and the Texas based locums agency paid the doctor ~ 20% less to the doctor working.
1099 will come from the Texas agency.
There was no payment from Hawaii hospital to the doctor.
this is plain tax evasion.
Every state specifically says that you must disclose income if you worked in that state. In your case, working in Hawaii, despite your LLC being in Texas, still requires disclosure of income to Hawaii and state taxes owed to them.
Now with that said, you can technically set it up in a way where your agency gets your $400/hr and you pay yourself $100/hr for working in Hawaii and pay taxes on the $100/hr.
there is no gray area here.
this is plain tax evasion.
Every state specifically says that you must disclose income if you worked in that state. In your case, working in Hawaii, despite your LLC being in Texas, still requires disclosure of income to Hawaii and state taxes owed to them.
Now with that said, you can technically set it up in a way where your agency gets your $400/hr and you pay yourself $100/hr for working in Hawaii and pay taxes on the $100/hr.
No gray area correct; I know multiple locums anesthesiologists doing this in NY State, all grossing over $500,000; wouldn't end well if discovered.
The locums docs who live in Florida make $$$ in Georgia do the same not reporting their 1099 Georgia income either. Been doing it since the second Obama administration and no auditNo gray area correct; I know multiple locums anesthesiologists doing this in NY State, all grossing over $500,000; wouldn't end well if discovered.
Locums market is still strong. It just depends on your expectations.
Everyone wants their cake and eat it too. Meaning some prn 1099 locums who have 12-15 weeks off just want to pop in and do a big 30-40k week and get out. Those are mainly the ones I see complaining that the market is “tight”
Plenty of (4 x 10 hr) locums gigs at $400-450/hr a week. But it may not be worth it for some people to only make 15-18k and give up a week of vacation. Especially if they gotta travel out of their home area.
So it’s all a matter of perspective.
Everyone wants their cake and eat it too. Meaning some prn 1099 locums who have 12-15 weeks off just want to pop in and do a big 30-40k week and get out. Those are mainly the ones I see complaining that the market is “tight”
Plenty of (4 x 10 hr) locums gigs at $400-450/hr a week. But it may not be worth it for some people to only make 15-18k and give up a week of vacation. Especially if they gotta travel out of their home area.
So it’s all a matter of perspective.
Last edited:
It’s just not something the computer will catch. It looks like a resident of Florida getting paid from a Florida company. He is not a resident of Georgia so Georgia would not be expecting any tax filings from him. Of course if the state ran a project cross referencing all licensed physicians in that state and seeing if there were tax returns filed for that person it could be a problem…The locums docs who live in Florida make $$$ in Georgia do the same not reporting their 1099 Georgia income either. Been doing it since the second Obama administration and no audit
First time today: received a recruiter email advertising locums CANDIDATES, not SITES. Anomaly, or is the end truly near?
It’s like grindr,tinder,hinge and insta DMs. These anesthesia ads.First time today: received a recruiter email advertising locums CANDIDATES, not SITES. Anomaly, or is the end truly near?
They are just fishing around and seeing who bites and responds to their messages. There is always one person who responses to these ads. That’s how Jake Paul got his girl. The holland Olympic speed skater girl responded to him.
First time today: received a recruiter email advertising locums CANDIDATES, not SITES. Anomaly, or is the end truly near?
Not worried at this time. I am deluged daily with voice mails, emails and linkedin messages from receuiters looking for people. Maybe some places are truly such good gigs wirh such great compensation that they have people fighting for them and they can be choosy with their candidates. The vast majority are not.
Last edited:
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
I keep getting emails and texts for remote area gigs for 350/hr. I constantly remind the recruiters that it makes no sense for me to take a connecting flight and make less. I had one other recruiter offer 600/hr for 8 hrs on Christmas day or Thanksgiving day. $4800 to take a connecting flight to small town on a major holiday no thanks.
$350/hr /40 hrs a week is ok as long as u can get a solid 60 hrs in with $500/hr plus overtime routinely starting after 40 hrI keep getting emails and texts for remote area gigs for 350/hr. I constantly remind the recruiters that it makes no sense for me to take a connecting flight and make less. I had one other recruiter offer 600/hr for 8 hrs on Christmas day or Thanksgiving day. $4800 to take a connecting flight to small town on a major holiday no thanks.
But yes makes no sense to do 4x 10 for $350/hr in a remote location. Due to travel to and from a remote location.
But I don’t think people should be working for $275/300/hr w2 rotting away solo in the OR either for 8-10 hrs to cover for shortage.
Ok to work $275//300/hr and leave at 11am and still get paid for 8 hrs. But if they are gettin a full 8-10 hrs of work from u to work extra. Just say no. Taxed at 40-50% w2 rate including Medicare and state income taxes. No thanks either.
I've also been seeing more locums agencies advertising the hourly rate as Ex: "up to" $350/hr or $400/hr or whatever rate. Notice the subtlety of "up to". Another fishing technique of locums agency sales, hoping that a physician just sees the rate without noticing "up to" ...ie that they are trying to fool you that the max you will earn is "up to" that rate, not that the hourly rate will be $400/hr. So what would the base hourly rate be? They don't tell you. They want you to inquire, send your CV, then tell you a lower rate because they don't guarantee the hourly rate as $X, they only say "up to". Beware of this trickery
I've also been seeing more locums agencies advertising the hourly rate as Ex: "up to" $350/hr or $400/hr or whatever rate. Notice the subtlety of "up to". Another fishing technique of locums agency sales, hoping that a physician just sees the rate without noticing "up to" ...ie that they are trying to fool you that the max you will earn is "up to" that rate, not that the hourly rate will be $400/hr. So what would the base hourly rate be? They don't tell you. They want you to inquire, send your CV, then tell you a lower rate because they don't guarantee the hourly rate as $X, they only say "up to". Beware of this trickery
Its been like that since I started locum work. They want your CV before telling you details
Just got a message about Buffalo NY at $450/hour June and July start. At ECMC hospital. Generalist locum position. Would do it if I wasn't already fully booked out for 2026
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Buffalo is hard work bruh. U want chill work. Unless they give u a ton of nights and weekends. Working 7-5 is brutal 5 days a week there.Just got a message about Buffalo NY at $450/hour June and July start. At ECMC hospital. Generalist locum position. Would do it if I wasn't already fully booked out for 2026
People focus so much on hourly rate. I focus on sustainable workload aka easy work load. Running up the hours doing nothing with light calls. Obviously not all nights are easy but most nights are easy. I think I worked past 11pm maybe 5 times in 2.5 years which isn’t bad at light hospital at night. Of course I write this and I’m gonna to screw myself this upcoming weekend covering both days weekend call solo.
Every doc from Florida i know who that goes up to upstate new York due to good hourly pay reports the same working conditions whether it’s Syracuse Rochester or buffalo. It’s pretty bad. And it’s cold. And it’s 8% state income taxes
what company?Just got a message about Buffalo NY at $450/hour June and July start. At ECMC hospital. Generalist locum position. Would do it if I wasn't already fully booked out for 2026
what company?
Trusted Locum Staffing
Never worked with them before so I dont know much details about their outfit. I think they are based in Buffalo NY
Last edited:
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
I have heard of 500/hr in the past for northeast and Midwest and not during summer. I take summers off unless they tempt me with premium rates. 450 for Buffalo to take a connecting flight across the nation during summer and (per previous post) heavy workload is not enticing.
But some will see 450 and don’t value summer vacation as much as me and will take it.
But some will see 450 and don’t value summer vacation as much as me and will take it.
livinlavidalocums
Full Member
As they say one mans trash is another mans treasure.