yes but what is the sense leaving a lower paying job to go to a ridiculously higher paying job where youwill get your 30 day notice in 2 weeks. Then the cycle repeats itself. Yes it is the nature of locums.
It only works if EVERYONE chooses to be a locum then our general pay would be up by 50 percent i bet.
You are operating out of fear. Fear of the unknown paycheck. The sense of security a w2 paycheck gives you.
Ok…Locums is 30 days notice (sometimes 60 days notice with longer term 1099 contracts)
But this isn’t 2013-2018 or whatever frame ur local region job market became tight. Where there were 10 applicants for every one w2 job available
One of the locums places (and I have tons of privileges) said in 2017. They had 19 crnas apply for one w2 crna position. 19!!
Now they are short 6 fte crnas.
So you operate out of fear. There is nothing to fear. No w2 job is safe either outside of a VA job after probation period. Even state academic jobs can give you a notice of non renewal (a backdoor way of terminating you without saying you are fired)
And most standard contracts are 90 days without clause termination.
The key to locums is maintaining privileges are multiple places. I had 3 locums places terminate me in the last 90 days. But I also picked up another hospital to get credentials. So I’m still at 9 hospitals locums and 3 surgery centers. This is the game you gotta play. Sure it’s more work to do and maintain the privileges. But it’s worth it. I have two state medical licenses (Virginia and California) I still pay for. Because they are not interstate medical licenses. It’s insurance policy for me if the job market gets tight in Florida. Because I can work in those two states faster than someone who doesn’t have a full Virginia or California medical license.
You gotta have a plan when you do locums.
And no. Your general pay won’t be up 50% if everyone leaves. It’s a bad way of thinking. What happens if they will make the current w2 docs suffer and over work them. The longer you stay. Let’s say admin says change is coming. If you stay 18 months. You gave admin extra money you should be making elsewhere for your workload.
So the locums docs are making 800k no calls at the same place you are w2 making 550-600k with calls. Admin after 18 months says. Here is your 50k extra pay raise. They aren’t gonna to say here is your 200k pay raise.