Locums Market Temp Check

Started by Coffee PRN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’d avoid taking gratis hours. Defeats the purpose of the stipend holding the pager.
I agree, but I also look at how much I make on a weekly basis for the hours worked.
The way I look at it is that its a day where I get paid more than my usual rate and may work longer.
Call back is pretty negligible once the cases are done, so theres that.
 
Locums agencies posting fake jobs. I contacted an agency for a posted job with no rate listed but it was in a state I have a medical license in. I got a reply email from the recruiter with general information with low hourly rates in the low-mid 300s/hr but they wouldn't say specifically what the hourly rate would be. They wanted my CV. I said I need to know the hourly rate, the contract terms, the work environment first. The agency ghosted me. So lame. There are probably over 300 medical locums agencies out there. They are just fishing. Someone on FB wrote that a locums agency has been presenting him without his permission to all these hospitals and when he told them to stop they said they are going to continue to use his name so that they have ownership of him. That sound illegal but no one has legally challenged these agencies
 
Locums agencies posting fake jobs. I contacted an agency for a posted job with no rate listed but it was in a state I have a medical license in. I got a reply email from the recruiter with general information with low hourly rates in the low-mid 300s/hr but they wouldn't say specifically what the hourly rate would be. They wanted my CV. I said I need to know the hourly rate, the contract terms, the work environment first. The agency ghosted me. So lame. There are probably over 300 medical locums agencies out there. They are just fishing. Someone on FB wrote that a locums agency has been presenting him without his permission to all these hospitals and when he told them to stop they said they are going to continue to use his name so that they have ownership of him. That sound illegal but no one has legally challenged these agencies

Complain to NALTO
Might not have teeth who knows
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Locums agencies posting fake jobs. I contacted an agency for a posted job with no rate listed but it was in a state I have a medical license in. I got a reply email from the recruiter with general information with low hourly rates in the low-mid 300s/hr but they wouldn't say specifically what the hourly rate would be. They wanted my CV. I said I need to know the hourly rate, the contract terms, the work environment first. The agency ghosted me. So lame. There are probably over 300 medical locums agencies out there. They are just fishing. Someone on FB wrote that a locums agency has been presenting him without his permission to all these hospitals and when he told them to stop they said they are going to continue to use his name so that they have ownership of him. That sound illegal but no one has legally challenged these agencies
I’ve never had any issues with this. But it can happen.

A hospital just switched amc contracts I did locums with. I used parent amc locums company

But now I’m using the new amc 100% wholly own subsidiary locums company

Supposedly I have a one year non compete. But it’s not enforced so I just sign on with new locums Division 1099 subsidy

No one cared.
 
Heat check. The money keeps rolling in (at least in Florida) for locums. $1000/hr routinely for coverage these days during summer time desperate mode.

Almost every day.

Demand will die down to $500/hr once summer passes maybe.

I feel like a sucker taking $420hr but I don’t do much work sleeping at home.

These guys are doing solo cases for $1000/hr on site.
 
Heat check. The money keeps rolling in (at least in Florida) for locums. $1000/hr routinely for coverage these days during summer time desperate mode.

Almost every day.

Demand will die down to $500/hr once summer passes maybe.

I feel like a sucker taking $420hr but I don’t do much work sleeping at home.

These guys are doing solo cases for $1000/hr on site.
Where at?
 
Always people willing to take less. That’s what employers depend on. My good friend who’s Gen surgeon said his surgeons friends all jump at $150hr plus $2500 guranteee for gen surgeon locums. While he waits for $3500 plus $250hr

Now your worth folks. Crnas run circles around most anesthesia docs understanding this.
Around here we have one place that offers $300/hr and they have people lined up.
 
Always people willing to take less. That’s what employers depend on. My good friend who’s Gen surgeon said his surgeons friends all jump at $150hr plus $2500 guranteee for gen surgeon locums. While he waits for $3500 plus $250hr

Now your worth folks. Crnas run circles around most anesthesia docs understanding this.


When supply is high worth is low.
 
it’s not routine you are lying. Prove it if so
Summer peak season. Supply and demand. Shut down the OR or pay up. Those are their choices. So they pay up. Almost every single day in June and July is a need. Folks are on vacation. So they need coverage. And I said routine for summer 2026. $500-hr is the routine pay these days. So it will drop down from $1000/hr to $500/hr by mid August.

People previous thought 50-60k weeks were impossible. They are back! Make it 70k for the week. So I had a 18-month gap between hitting those numbers again.

Everything goes in cycles.
 
it’s not routine you are lying. Prove it if so

It's not routine that is for sure.

It actually could be but there are too many docs out there willing to work pre/post call for CRNA rates that it's extremely rare.

More realistic is $350-500/hr, for what I have repeatedly said is what the VAST MAJORITY should expect, not this random unicorn $1000/hr gig in S. FL, which happens to be the market where docs are stupidly most likely to pick up extra shifts for horrible rates, so I find it hard to believe, but I have no proof otherwise.

If everyone banded together, this COULD be the norm, but it won't be because we are dumb as a collective.
 
Last edited:
It's not routine that is for sure.

It actually could be but there are too many docs out there willing to work pre/post call for CRNA rates that it's extremely rare.

More realistic is $350-500/hr, for what I have repeatedly said is what the VAST MAJORITY should expect, not this random unicorn $1000/hr gig in S. FL, which happens to be the market where docs are stupidly most likely to pick up extra shifts for horrible rates, so I find it hard to believe, but I have no proof otherwise.

If everyone banded together, this COULD be the norm, but it won't be because we are dumb as a collective.
That’s exactly what my friend who is amc regional medical director said. Always some one willing to do it for less.

Saying that. He’s willing to approve top dollar for top locums doc. But what he’s notice and he can’t oversee everything is the lazy docs (u know who they are …generally the ones just signing off charts/weekdays only/100% supervision are the ones demanding the most.

But these uber surge rates I’m quoting are md only high pace surgery centers where you actually have to be not only a competent anesthesiologist but a fast one. So the pool of available docs gets narrower and narrower. The center was willing to pay a crna $700/hr and I had arranged for it. But needed to shift crnas from one place to another and the other crna demanded $2000 extra kickback if forced to move from one place to another on top of her base pay.

There is so much money shifting I see.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s exactly what my friend who is amc regional medical director said. Always some one willing to do it for less.

Saying that. He’s willing to approve top dollar for top locums doc. But what he’s notice and he can’t oversee everything is the lazy docs (u know who they are …generally the ones just signing off charts/weekdays only/100% supervision are the ones demanding the most.

But these uber surge rates I’m quoting are md only high pace surgery centers where you actually have to be not only a competent anesthesiologist but a fast one. So the pool of available docs gets narrower and narrower. The center was willing to pay a crna $700/hr and I had arranged for it. But needed to shift crnas from one place to another and the other crna demanded $2000 extra kickback if forced to move from one place to another on top of her base pay.

There is so much money shifting I see.
Sure they will pay you 1000/hr for one day. Ok so you made 8 large, what are you gonna do the resta the week? They aint gonna let you rack up 1000/hr for 120 hours in a week. If they do, they should be fired.
 
Sure they will pay you 1000/hr for one day. Ok so you made 8 large, what are you gonna do the resta the week? They aint gonna let you rack up 1000/hr for 120 hours in a week. If they do, they should be fired.
It’s not just one day this summer. It’s basically every day this summer.

But u are right. It’s not sustainable to pay $1000/hr. At the surgery center. They are looking for buyout private equity partners (the surgery center) so they are still making a ton of money off facility fees.

None of us feel sorry for them when they pay the current w2 crna $220k and the current md 465k for 44 weeks of work. It’s just not cutting it anymore. Far cheaper to pay the crna 400k and the md 700k for 4 days a week no calls no weekends than to pay crnas $700/hr or docs $1000/hr. Even when demand dies down they are routinely paying crnas $325hr and docs $500/hr for cover post summer peak demand time.

I did rack up 192 hours over 8 days (hospital) before heading for vacation on Saturday in the Florida’s panhandle. Than got another 48 hr locums weekend right after I head back. I leave zero hours on the table But I did get killed called back 5x all past 3am during my most recent stint. So not easy cash all the time
 
lol lies. $1000 def not routine

To understand aneftp math, you have to factor in the context: this is probably something like getting scheduled to cover beeper call for $6000, but only having to work 6 hours during that time period. Hence, $1000/hr.

No one is paying $1000/hr for scheduled, in-hospital, full time, shift work. We all know that.
 
To understand aneftp math, you have to factor in the context: this is probably something like getting scheduled to cover beeper call for $6000, but only having to work 6 hours during that time period. Hence, $1000/hr.

No one is paying $1000/hr for scheduled, in-hospital, full time, shift work. We all know that.
Correct. No one is paying $1000 a hour scheduled non last minute hospital shift more than 72 hours notice

But It’s 10k for 10 hr of work at surgery center. Physical hours on site. So it’s a true $1000/hrs cost.

But I’d rather not do anything for beeper hospital call for $4500/12 hr of coverage give or take. And gamble And stay home. I’d charge them for a hotel and collect hotel points but do a fake check in and drive home. They reimburse me up to $250 for hotel I don’t live that far away. 38 min or 34 min if no traffic. But officially I’m 35 miles away so get the hotel reimbursed if I take call

So if I actually work 2 hrs. My per hours cost is over $2000/hr at the hospital. But 80% chance I don’t work at all. That’s why I’d rather do calls and not work. It’s a better deal. But it’s all a gamble.
 
Last edited:
Correct. No one is paying $1000 a hour scheduled non last minute hospital shift more than 72 hours notice

But It’s 10k for 10 hr of work at surgery center. Physical hours on site. So it’s a true $1000/hrs cost.

But I’d rather not do anything for beeper hospital call for $4500/12 hr of coverage give or take. And gamble And stay home. I’d charge them for a hotel and collect hotel points but do a fake check in and drive home. They reimburse me up to $250 for hotel I don’t live that far away. 38 min or 34 min if no traffic. But officially I’m 35 miles away so get the hotel reimbursed if I take call

So if I actually work 2 hrs. My per hours cost is over $2000/hr at the hospital. But 80% chance I don’t work at all. That’s why I’d rather do calls and not work. It’s a better deal. But it’s all a gamble.


Is there that much of a shortage in Florida?
 
Is there that much of a shortage in Florida?
South Florida sucks from Palm beach to Miami

Other parts of the state are open. You just have to know how to navigate. Like i mention. I work at mutiple gigs. Even doing double duty on some weeks. Work surgery center in am. Run up 20 minutes to cover Hospital A on beeper. Hospital B the following morning 15 min across town run back to hospital A for beeper call at night the same night.

I don’t depend on on site for 1099 income.

But some people are so set in their ways. They wanna to have a stable 1099 gig at one site 7-5 each day with some calls sprinkled in.

I function on mass credentials at
Mutiple gifs and being jack of all trades availability. If I’m not available. They will call me and me to get them someone I know. It usually works out.
 
South Florida sucks from Palm beach to Miami

Other parts of the state are open. You just have to know how to navigate. Like i mention. I work at mutiple gigs. Even doing double duty on some weeks. Work surgery center in am. Run up 20 minutes to cover Hospital A on beeper. Hospital B the following morning 15 min across town run back to hospital A for beeper call at night the same night.

I don’t depend on on site for 1099 income.

But some people are so set in their ways. They wanna to have a stable 1099 gig at one site 7-5 each day with some calls sprinkled in.

I function on mass credentials at
Mutiple gifs and being jack of all trades availability. If I’m not available. They will call me and me to get them someone I know. It usually works out.
Do you have multiple ex wives? I just dont need the money that bad to be exposing myself to this ****. What you are describing is not easy money, Im exhausted just reading about it. This is the practice of someone whose wife took 1/2 pension late in life along with alimony payments and your playing catch up. Like I said, I rounding third base I dont need to be covering call or dental centers wrestlin intellectual challenged adults into the chair.

You should be a recruiter.
 
South Florida sucks from Palm beach to Miami

Other parts of the state are open. You just have to know how to navigate. Like i mention. I work at mutiple gigs. Even doing double duty on some weeks. Work surgery center in am. Run up 20 minutes to cover Hospital A on beeper. Hospital B the following morning 15 min across town run back to hospital A for beeper call at night the same night.

I don’t depend on on site for 1099 income.

But some people are so set in their ways. They wanna to have a stable 1099 gig at one site 7-5 each day with some calls sprinkled in.

I function on mass credentials at
Mutiple gifs and being jack of all trades availability. If I’m not available. They will call me and me to get them someone I know. It usually works out.
With this big a network, I think you should start a staffing company 🙂
 
Do you have multiple ex wives? I just dont need the money that bad to be exposing myself to this ****. What you are describing is not easy money, Im exhausted just reading about it. This is the practice of someone whose wife took 1/2 pension late in life along with alimony payments and your playing catch up. Like I said, I rounding third base I dont need to be covering call or dental centers wrestlin intellectual challenged adults into the chair.

You should be a recruiter.
Ha ha. One wife. One house.

I’m good.

Just depends on my motivation when they ask me to work.

To be honest. I think u guys work way too hard up north and out west in my locations (just a generalization). When I moved down to Florida. I was like. Damn this work is so easy. Sure there are bad days or bad calls. But on a day to day basis. My work isn’t bad. Compared to what I did out west and up north in my previous life.
 
Ha ha. One wife. One house.

I’m good.

Just depends on my motivation when they ask me to work.

To be honest. I think u guys work way too hard up north and out west in my locations (just a generalization). When I moved down to Florida. I was like. Damn this work is so easy. Sure there are bad days or bad calls. But on a day to day basis. My work isn’t bad. Compared to what I did out west and up north in my previous life.
Thats funny because FLorida notoriously pays bad. I bumpinto locums up north from Florida who tells me its bad. Rates are still 300-325/hr.
 
Thats funny because FLorida notoriously pays bad. I bumpinto locums up north from Florida who tells me its bad. Rates are still 300-325/hr.
Yes south Florida pays bad like $300 or even $250hr. But I’m not working for that unless I get 12 hr guranteed and guranteed not to work more than 6 hrs at those rate. The rest of the state is ok in terms of locums pay.

But they prey on docs desperate enough to take the low rates down there. If more docs leave that area for higher pay. That pushes demand up. The beauty of supply and demand.
 
Yes south Florida pays bad like $300 or even $250hr. But I’m not working for that unless I get 12 hr guranteed and guranteed not to work more than 6 hrs at those rate. The rest of the state is ok in terms of locums pay.

But they prey on docs desperate enough to take the low rates down there. If more docs leave that area for higher pay. That pushes demand up. The beauty of supply and demand.
Envision is still paying 250/hr w2 in south Florida and people are taking it. When they need locums, it has to be someone not affiliated with envision and not in state or 75 miles away from facility. Unfortunately they continue to dominate the market here and offer **** pay. People are choosing to continue to tolerate it rather than anything else
 
Ant
Yes south Florida pays bad like $300 or even $250hr. But I’m not working for that unless I get 12 hr guranteed and guranteed not to work more than 6 hrs at those rate. The rest of the state is ok in terms of locums pay.

But they prey on docs desperate enough to take the low rates down there. If more docs leave that area for higher pay. That pushes demand up. The beauty of supply and demand.
Aneftp teach me the ways of the force. I could use 70k in a week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is going to come a time, in the not so distant future, where services and corporations will be consolidated enough for them to successfully depress your wages to the point where there are no real good options. We're not that far away from that.
These things cycle. I love the crnas in Florida. They keep wrecking havoc with their demands. Having crnas keep pushing the limits of pay and more important schedules control actually helps docs.

The way I think about anesthesia is the kids are in control and not the parents (the hospitals). More inept hospital leadership leads to more opportunities.

But honestly i don’t think hospitals leadership cares wasting money on anesthesia. They talk a good game but OR efficiency and OR start times and utilization. But the only way to effectively manage anesthesia is to cut off the OR at certain times. And at this point it’s near impossible because they know they lose OR revenue in terms of facility fees.
 
These things cycle. I love the crnas in Florida. They keep wrecking havoc with their demands. Having crnas keep pushing the limits of pay and more important schedules control actually helps docs.

The way I think about anesthesia is the kids are in control and not the parents (the hospitals). More inept hospital leadership leads to more opportunities.

But honestly i don’t think hospitals leadership cares wasting money on anesthesia. They talk a good game but OR efficiency and OR start times and utilization. But the only way to effectively manage anesthesia is to cut off the OR at certain times. And at this point it’s near impossible because they know they lose OR revenue in terms of facility fees.
actually the reason why rates are so low in Florida is because Sheridan, now Envision has a majority of the market and everyone wants to live in Florida. Except me.

Why cant we do the same thing as CRNAs?
 
actually the reason why rates are so low in Florida is because Sheridan, now Envision has a majority of the market and everyone wants to live in Florida. Except me.

Why cant we do the same thing as CRNAs?
You keep sayin the rates are low.

Rates are solid except for south Florida. Envison really only has south Florida left as a strangle hold.

I’m happy with my rates.

Envison are pretty much done in Tampa and now Envison pretty much is done in orlando as well. Except a couple of pocket sites. They don’t have much of a presence in jax anymore as well. Panhandle is meh with Envison.


Florida is a big state. The empire has fallen. Even usap is losing sites left and right. Just lost another one.
 
actually the reason why rates are so low in Florida is because Sheridan, now Envision has a majority of the market and everyone wants to live in Florida. Except me.

Why cant we do the same thing as CRNAs?
1. Because we fight and bicker amongst ourselves and they are organized. 2. We have non competes and they don’t. 3. We have sellouts that will take 250 an hour….

Pilots who take low contract rates (like their locums or prn rates) are named and shamed. They stick together….. like the crnas
 
I don't know if it's 300/hr but the PNW has very low rates close to that and there is no shortage of suckers (i.e. providers) willing to accept it.
No doc should work solo for $300/hr.

Might as well have crna locums do the job for $200-225/hr that is routine pay for them (Florida pay) plus agency 30-40% markup to pay for housing /travel etc. and crnas demand overtime pay making them actually more expensive after 8/10 hr. Docs usually do not ask for overtime when they are prn. Crnas demand overtime with every prn shift 1099 or w2. They are a lot smarter than docs.

There is one job I work for $300/hr w2 solo. And it’s only with a 12 hr gurantee and I average around 6 hr of work and I don’t have to be in house. I can take the golf cart over to the hospital in less than 10 min. So location matters. But I also put all the money into a 457b account so don’t have to pay much taxes on it. I limit my work there regardless.

Other than that. I’m not doing any extra shifts
 
Summer peak season. Supply and demand. Shut down the OR or pay up. Those are their choices. So they pay up. Almost every single day in June and July is a need. Folks are on vacation. So they need coverage. And I said routine for summer 2026. $500-hr is the routine pay these days. So it will drop down from $1000/hr to $500/hr by mid August.

People previous thought 50-60k weeks were impossible. They are back! Make it 70k for the week. So I had a 18-month gap between hitting those numbers again.

Everything goes in cycles.
ok but what hospitals/ASCs are paying this?
 
ok but what hospitals/ASCs are paying this?
The ones near me. Next to the local mall in Florida.

It’s all about supply and demand.

I just think I work with mostly like minded people. There are a couple of rogue colleagues who don’t get with the program cause they need money and cave.

But for the most part. We are in sync with that we will or won’t work for. We all pulled out of weekend calls in August schedule and they immediately gave us what we wanted in terms of compensation. It’s very simple. Hospitals collude to drive prices down. We work the opposite way.

We smell blood. And funny thing is it’s shark week end of July. Administration has no control. But I don’t think they care. They are so rich. They buy whatever supplies is needed. Sure they may complain about anesthesia costs. But it’s all fake complaints. They are making money left and right charging the one of the highest facilities fees in the USA.
 
Last edited:
No doc should work solo for $300/hr.

Might as well have crna locums do the job for $200-225/hr that is routine pay for them (Florida pay) plus agency 30-40% markup to pay for housing /travel etc. and crnas demand overtime pay making them actually more expensive after 8/10 hr. Docs usually do not ask for overtime when they are prn. Crnas demand overtime with every prn shift 1099 or w2. They are a lot smarter than docs.

There is one job I work for $300/hr w2 solo. And it’s only with a 12 hr gurantee and I average around 6 hr of work and I don’t have to be in house. I can take the golf cart over to the hospital in less than 10 min. So location matters. But I also put all the money into a 457b account so don’t have to pay much taxes on it. I limit my work there regardless.

Other than that. I’m not doing any extra shifts
When strategic, gigs like are perfect, especially when the total amount is still reasonable, stress level is low, AND it's in your backyard. Not many of those apply close to me in S. Florida, other than proximity, where docs are covering 3-4:1 with multiple high acuity rooms 👎

I wonder how Tampa General has evolved from their 6-8:1 medical supervision days, now that they have a residency. Two other major health systems here will also have their own workforce programs/salary suppression programs (oops, I meant residencies); I wonder how they will compare to HCA.
 
When strategic, gigs like are perfect, especially when the total amount is still reasonable, stress level is low, AND it's in your backyard. Not many of those apply close to me in S. Florida, other than proximity, where docs are covering 3-4:1 with multiple high acuity rooms 👎

I wonder how Tampa General has evolved from their 6-8:1 medical supervision days, now that they have a residency. Two other major health systems here will also have their own workforce programs/salary suppression programs (oops, I meant residencies); I wonder how they will compare to HCA.
When i think of south Florida it means Palm beach to. Miami Kendall area.

The Tampa st Pete is always the west side of Florida to me. Sun city has imploded in Hca Tampa area but the 1099 rate is low. And all the GI cases have shifted over there for the weekends and hca dumps all the inpatients on weekends needing scopes to one facility. Sun city
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uh oh. I do this sometimes. 1099, nice venue/staff, close to home, but still.
A fulll time locums docs can’t afford to do it for $300-hr as their full time gig though.

The math ends up just taking a w2 full time job if it’s $300/hr 40 hrs a week
 
Most people in La proper are making at least 800k with 8 weeks off. Granted they are working close to 50-55 hrs a week. LA isn’t that expensive unless you live in a certain zip code.

I know it sounds out of touch. But most people who own homes out there I know worth between 5-8 million. They are their 3 or 4th homes they have owned through 20-30 years as attendings.
Makes sense - desirable locations get people that will take anything. I wish we would band together more - it would be good for everyone… but anesthesiologists are always scabs.
 
A fulll time locums docs can’t afford to do it for $300-hr as their full time gig though.

The math ends up just taking a w2 full time job if it’s $300/hr 40 hrs a week

Makes sense - desirable locations get people that will take anything. I wish we would band together more - it would be good for everyone… but anesthesiologists are always scabs.


FWIW it’s a permanent full or part time job.