Locums rates and malpractice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzygoer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What’s the current standard rate for 1 week Locum gigs in ny nj ct?

Is claims made the standard policy offered with these gigs?... do any of you purchase a tail after the 1 week?? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What’s the current standard rate for 1 week Locum gigs in ny nj ct?

Is claims made the standard policy offered with these gigs?... do any of you purchase a tail after the 1 week?? Thanks
Don't get a claims made policy for locums. Makes no sense.
Hell makes no sense to me to ever get a claims made policy. Been there done that, ended up costing way more for tail when I left

Reactions: 1 user
Don't get a claims made policy for locums. Makes no sense.
Hell makes no sense to me to ever get a claims made policy. Been there done that, ended up costing way more for tail when I left

Ok thanks for your reply. So what is the correct approach if the amc says they only offer claims made? Ask for more in the hourly rate and buy the tail yourself? Or would you say no deal unless they offered it

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above posts... it is VERY uncommon for you to have to secure your own coverage as a locum - I would make them provide it.

What about the waiver of liability for an injury/accident/death/dismemberment at the facility. As in I can understand a slip and fall an not something serious. But if something life threatening happened to me on their premises that was their fault let's say (electrocution for example due to faulty wiring), shouldn't they be held liable? I understand I am independent contractor, but does that mean I have no rights?
What say you? Are you a lawyer?
Agree with the above posts... it is VERY uncommon for you to have to secure your own coverage as a locum - I would make them provide it.

What about the waiver of liability for an injury/accident/death/dismemberment at the facility. As in I can understand a slip and fall an not something serious. But if something life threatening happened to me on their premises that was their fault let's say (electrocution for example due to faulty wiring), shouldn't they be held liable? I understand I am independent contractor, but does that mean I have no rights?
What say you? Are you a lawyer?

Hi Chocomorsel - I am not a licensed Attorney, but I am licensed in all aspects of insurance and have Attorneys on my team. As such, this is not legal advice and I am speaking to my years of experience in the insurance world.

Waiver of Liabilities are very common in the commercial insurance world. The purpose of these forms is to shift some of the responsibility and burden of proof from the insured, aka your employer, and onto you. You're essentially assuming inherent dangers/risks associated with your profession and agreeing to follow rules and procedures, etc.

That being said - these typically do not absolve an employer of negligence. So, to your electrocution scenario, if negligence can be proved, I would imagine you would have grounds for a case.

Again, check with an attorney familiar with your State's insurance and contract laws to be sure!

Last edited: