LOI After Interview But Before Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidstatic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, quick question here. I interviewed at one of my top choices last week and it's definitely the school I'd like to attend.

I know that their adcom is meeting 2/28 and we are going to be hearing back the same week. Is it appropriate to send a LOI now, before any decisions are made or does that come across as needy? Will doing so decrease the likelihood I'm waitlisted?

Again, I'd 100% attend this school if accepted, I just don't want to hurt my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, quick question here. I interviewed at one of my top choices last week and it's definitely the school I'd like to attend.

I know that their adcom is meeting 2/28 and we are going to be hearing back the same week. Is it appropriate to send a LOI now, before any decisions are made or does that come across as needy? Will doing so decrease the likelihood I'm waitlisted?

Again, I'd 100% attend this school if accepted, I just don't want to hurt my chances.

A:0 = don't.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pathologically needy AND desperate.

Reactions: 1 user
Very much school specific. Confirm in the school specific thread that LOIs don't matter. At some schools they are heavily considered

OP should still wait until a decision is rendered by the adcom.
I am confident that at one school at least, an update or letter of interest (not intent), post interview but pre decision, can be the difference between a normal waitlist or high priority waitlist placement.

Do you already hold an acceptance? Do you have ANY leverage?

Allow me to give you my dean's response to your hypothetical LOI, as perhaps that will be informative: "He's in at two DO schools but he really wants to come here? No ******* ****!"

Haha fair enough! Thanks for your help.

I am confident that at one school at least, an update or letter of interest (not intent), post interview but pre decision, can be the difference between a normal waitlist or high priority waitlist placement.
Jefferson or Einstein?