LOI and Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudDude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at School A which was top of my list. Solid program so I decided to put in my LOI near what I thought was the end of the application cycle. School A decides to accept. A few days later, School B decides to interview me. I think, why not? I've heard good things about the program and it'll be good to learn more.

Then School B interview goes really well and I love their program. They get pushed above School A on my list.

If School B decided to waitlist me, I want to handle this with grace/strategy so I don't lose both offers. I have reviewed the AMCAS rules about holding multiple offers, and I feel like telling School B that they're the top of my list moght get me off the waitlist. But I don't want to harm myself out of School A where I submitted a letter of intent.

Thoughts?
From what I understand a LOI will make very little difference in determining your position on a waitlist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because of behavior like this, schools know that you're lying about LOI. As such, they get ignored (unless you're dealing with needy schools that like to see applicants grovel, like Gtown and Jefferson).

Schools do not talk to each other about LOI. They don't care.

I interviewed at School A which was top of my list. Solid program so I decided to put in my LOI near what I thought was the end of the application cycle. School A decides to accept. A few days later, School B decides to interview me. I think, why not? I've heard good things about the program and it'll be good to learn more.

Then School B interview goes really well and I love their program. They get pushed above School A on my list.

If School B decided to waitlist me, I want to handle this with grace/strategy so I don't lose both offers. I have reviewed the AMCAS rules about holding multiple offers, and I feel like telling School B that they're the top of my list moght get me off the waitlist. But I don't want to harm myself out of School A where I submitted a letter of intent.

Thoughts?

Because of behavior like this, schools know that you're lying about LOI. As such, they get ignored (unless you're dealing with needy schools that like to see applicants grovel, like Gtown and Jefferson).

Schools do not talk to each other about LOI. They don't care.
Thank you for the information. I am not sure what lying behavior you're referring to. School B could deny, and I am playing out a hypothetical situation.

People waitlisted at multiple schools write LOI to multiple schools. You were thinking of writing LOI to A and B.

Case closed.

And exactly how would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate applicant?

Thank you for the information. I am not sure what lying behavior you're referring to. School B could deny, and I am playing out a hypothetical situation.

People waitlisted at multiple schools write LOI to multiple schools. You were thinking of writing LOI to A and B.

Case closed.

And exactly how would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate applicant?
Or just expressing a lot of interest in school B, but ultimately choosing school A.

Last edited:
The schools knew you were interested in them when you sent your applications and showed up for interviews.

Or just expressing a lot of interest in school B, but ultimately choosing school A. I understand admissions committees don't take a lot of stock in LOI. Got it. That's somewhat reassuring but underwhelming thoughts.

Reactions: 4 users
Ethically you have told school A of your intent to attend. When school B invited you, the only ethically allowable behavior would have been to decline as you alreafy stated your intention to school A.

Why you chose to send an LOI to a school that you have been accepted to is not needed and simply created an ethical dilemma. If you actually meant that you sent school A taking their offer and withdrawing from other schools that have accepted you, that is a different matter entirely. In that case you are following the prescribed process correctly. If then you are invited to school B, get WL, and send an LOI and ultimately get accepted, you would have followed the rules and behaved ethically

Last edited:
You can hold both the A acceptance and the possible B waitlist after April 30th and then decide based on the B decision (which could take days or weeks).

Or you can become accepted at both and have to choose by April 30th which one it will be.

You can hold both the A acceptance and the possible B waitlist after April 30th and then decide based on the B decision (which could take days or weeks).

Or you can become accepted at both and have to choose by April 30th which one it will be.
I see. But I could not say to School B that I intend to attend if waitlisted, since I already submitted that to School A?

If you sent a letter of INTENT to school A, then school A is expecting you to matriculate. Can you see how it would be disingenuous to send a letter of intent to School B with the hope of getting off the waitlist. It is like wearing an engagement ring and then telling someone else that you'd be happy to get a marriage proposal if they would offer one (never mind the schmuck you are engaged to, you can dump him).

Once you sent a letter of INTENT, you should have stopped seeing anyone else.

Now if the LOI was a letter of interest -- "I like you, I think we're a good fit but I'm not ready to be exclusive" then that's another story.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you sent a letter of INTENT to school A, then school A is expecting you to matriculate. Can you see how it would be disingenuous to send a letter of intent to School B with the hope of getting off the waitlist. It is like wearing an engagement ring and then telling someone else that you'd be happy to get a marriage proposal if they would offer one (never mind the schmuck you are engaged to, you can dump him).

Once you sent a letter of INTENT, you should have stopped seeing anyone else.

Now if the LOI was a letter of interest -- "I like you, I think we're a good fit but I'm not ready to be exclusive" then that's another story.
Thank you for clearing this up :)

No they wont, but just to be clear, if they did, you would have no recourse as you presented an offer and their admission of you can be an construed as an acceptance of an offer. And the reason why they wont do that is too many silly a$$ applicants do this crap
Thank you for your help :) Yes, we, like our admissions counterparts, are errant and can make nearsighted mistakes.

In short, no one gives a **** about. As to your question on how to gracefully and tactfully rescind your LOI, there isnt anyway to clean up this f*cking silly a$$ thing you did without looking like a schmuck. So let this sleeping dog lie and if school B accepts you move on. Just try not to make silly a$$ mistakes again
You trying to join @Goro on the naughty boy list? :p You New Yorkers sure don't beat around the bush, huh? :D

so...when is a good time to send in a letter of intent? Is there ever a good time? It feels like doing ED but without the risks.

Should one send multiple LOI to the same school? I sent one but haven't heard back in like a month, I'm so tempted to send another one :/

good question. i am genuinely interested ( & its the only school i applied to). I don't want to sound desperate. i think it might make me look desperate if I sent another one. what do you think?

good question. i am genuinely interested ( & its the only school i applied to). I don't want to sound desperate. i think it might make me look desperate if I sent another one. what do you think?
Look, they know you're interested in going there because you sent them an app. Sending LOIs is just like a guy saying to the hot chick "
But I'll still respect you in the morning!"

If he says it more than once, does that make it more believable????

Reactions: 3 users
Look, they know you're interested in going there because you sent them an app. Sending LOIs is just like a guy saying to the hot chick "

Haha I love this analogy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:LMAOOOO thank you!!!!!

On the portal for one of the schools I recently interviewed at, there is an option to upload a thank you letter (already did) and the option to upload a letter of intent/interest. Would it be wise to do that so early after interviewing? I would definetly attend the school if accepted,

Interviewed on Sept 11 and get decision on Oct 17

On the portal for one of the schools I recently interviewed at, there is an option to upload a thank you letter (already did) and the option to upload a letter of intent/interest. Would it be wise to do that so early after interviewing? I would definetly attend the school if accepted,

Interviewed on Sept 11 and get decision on Oct 17
They deserve what they get if they invite it.