LOI: Med school vs Law school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a Law school admission today and I have to come up with $500 bucks by May 1st. OSUCOM Bridge is my DREAM school. I'm writing a Letter of Intent do I mention this Law school acceptance( and how I would throw it in the trash for a spot at OSU) ,or do I just mention again how much I want to go there?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely not mention law school. First of all, it might come across as you not being sure what you want to do and it might also seem like you're trying to pull something on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely not mention law school. First of all, it might come across as you not being sure what you want to do and it might also seem like you're trying to pull something on them.

I just want to express to them how everyone else is number two.

I just want to express to them how everyone else is number two.

Oh I definitely understand that but I think you can do it in a way that doesn't mention your acceptance to law school. If I were on an admissions committee I would wonder why you applied to both med and law school because the two aren't exactly the same.

I def wouldn't mention law school. They want to know that you're committed to med school. I would just say how much you want to go there, what you've been doing that shows how dedicated you are to medicine, etc.

Don't mention it. Just say that if you are accepted, you intend to withdraw applications and acceptances from all other schools to which you have applied. If you say law school, you will look like a douche. Why would anyone apply to law school if they want to be a doctor? You know that law school makes you a lawyer, right? And probably one who works at the DA's office for less than I make now as a personal trainer, unless you're top 10% in your class.

Oh I definitely understand that but I think you can do it in a way that doesn't mention your acceptance to law school. If I were on an admissions committee I would wonder why you applied to both med and law school because the two aren't exactly the same.

I see your point. But let me ask you this. How is this different from other non-trads that apply to med school after leaving good jobs? I'm willing to give up a top 20 Law school acceptance for a 5 year bridge program.

I see your point. But let me ask you this. How is this different from other non-trads that apply to med school after leaving good jobs? I'm willing to give up a top 20 Law school acceptance for a 5 year bridge program.

But they're leaving good jobs for medicine only. They're not often leaving good jobs to try one of two or three different fields.

It is different because they were in the job and realized that it wasn't what they wanted to do. They usually are putting everything on the line by aiming for med school. This still looks like you are unsure and I know that'd be the first thing I'd think "Wow, this kid went through the hassle of applying to both law school and med school? I hope he/she didn't apply to dental schools too." You want to look committed and it comes off kind of bad by trying to leverage law school for a spot. If you were giving up another med school spot for their 5 year bridge program then maybe it'd be tougher to answer...

Okay, well consider this... the person who reads your LOI may hate lawyers with a passion, because of how bad medmal and torts have become. Remember the funny Bush quote about how "OB/GYN's are no longer able to practice their love with women"?

Well it sounds goofy, but in some cases, its the truth. What if some OB/GYN paying $200,000/year in medmal insurance reads your letter?

Don't mention it. Just say that if you are accepted, you intend to withdraw applications and acceptances from all other schools to which you have applied. If you say law school, you will look like a douche. Why would anyone apply to law school if they want to be a doctor? You know that law school makes you a lawyer, right? And probably one who works at the DA's office for less than I make now as a personal trainer, unless you're top 10% in your class.

What you don't understand is the fact that I applied to lawschool a long time ago in a time of self doubt. My numbers are not that great, and hundreds of people a year do not get in to medical school. Over the years I've worked hard at highschool and college debate and public speaking so lawschool has always been sort of a sure thing.

I'm not one of you 3.75 GPA with a 3.90 science and a 32 MCAT. I want to be a Doctor more than anything. But i'm also practical enough to prepare myself to do something I will enjoy, be successful at and support my family with.

It is different because they were in the job and realized that it wasn't what they wanted to do. They usually are putting everything on the line by aiming for med school. This still looks like you are unsure and I know that'd be the first thing I'd think "Wow, this kid went through the hassle of applying to both law school and med school? I hope he/she didn't apply to dental schools too." You want to look committed and it comes off kind of bad by trying to leverage law school for a spot. If you were giving up another med school spot for their 5 year bridge program then maybe it'd be tougher to answer...

Great point.Thanks for the input, I think I'll take the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, well consider this... the person who reads your LOI may hate lawyers with a passion, because of how bad medmal and torts have become. Remember the funny Bush quote about how "OB/GYN's are no longer able to practice their love with women"?

Well it sounds goofy, but in some cases, its the truth. What if some OB/GYN paying $200,000/year in medmal insurance reads your letter?

I see the point I don't want to do anything that will hurt my chances.

I guess my question would be, what if you got accepted to med school, but not the bridge program? You seem to be limiting yourself to one specific program of a school, why not a broader range of med school options besides this bridge program? It seems that if you truly wanted to be a doctor, that you would not limit yourself to this one specific program, IMO.

Here is your letter...

To whom it may concern:

I interviewed at OSUCOM on (date) with Dr. X and Dr. Y. I came away from the interview with a great impression of the school, and I would be thrilled to be a part of it. I feel that my goals are in-line with the mission of the school (which is.... ???), and that the training I would receive as a student there would be outstanding.

If I am accepted, it is my intention to withdraw my application from consideration at all other schools to which I have applied. I have been fortunate enough to be in the position where I have some attractive options at this point, but I believe that the OSUCOM Bridge program is the right place for me to pursue a medical education. I hope your admissions committee feels the same way.

In any case, I understand that there are many qualified applicants for a limited number of spots, and I respect your decision, whatever it is. However, I want to make it clear that my intent is to matriculate to OSUCOM, if accepted.

Sincerely,

whatever your name is

Here is your letter...

To whom it may concern:

I interviewed at OSUCOM on (date) with Dr. X and Dr. Y. I came away from the interview with a great impression of the school, and I would be thrilled to be a part of it. I feel that my goals are in-line with the mission of the school (which is.... ???), and that the training I would receive as a student there would be outstanding.

If I am accepted, it is my intention to withdraw my application from consideration at all other schools to which I have applied. I have been fortunate enough to be in the position where I have some attractive options at this point, but I believe that the OSUCOM Bridge program is the right place for me to pursue a medical education. I hope your admissions committee feels the same way.

In any case, I understand that there are many qualified applicants for a limited number of spots, and I respect your decision, whatever it is. However, I want to make it clear that my intent is to matriculate to OSUCOM, if accepted.

Sincerely,

whatever your name is

This sounds good! Thanks.

I guess my question would be, what if you got accepted to med school, but not the bridge program? You seem to be limiting yourself to one specific program of a school, why not a broader range of med school options besides this bridge program? It seems that if you truly wanted to be a doctor, that you would not limit yourself to this one specific program, IMO.

I did. I also applied to LMU-DCOM and PCOM Atlanta. This late in the application cycle and I still have not gotten any interviews, I wasn't complete till Feb 25th i'm not very confident.

I did. I also applied to LMU-DCOM and PCOM Atlanta. This late in the application cycle and I still have not gotten any interviews, I wasn't complete till Feb 25th i'm not very confident.

Ah....gotcha. Well, send in the LOI and see what comes of it. If you don't get it, then you have law school. Get thru that and if you still want to go to med school afterwards, then apply again. There are people who have done both, in fact, we have a student here who was a lawyer. Don't give up if you really want this, it just may be a round-about way of getting it. Another option, see if you can defer your law school admission and apply to med school again.

Ah....gotcha. Well, send in the LOI and see what comes of it. If you don't get it, then you have law school. Get thru that and if you still want to go to med school afterwards, then apply again. There are people who have done both, in fact, we have a student here who was a lawyer. Don't give up if you really want this, it just may be a round-about way of getting it. Another option, see if you can defer your law school admission and apply to med school again.

I may do that. I'm already mid 30's I hope I get in the first time thanks for the advice.

what law school did you get into? you said a "top 20."

What you don't understand is the fact that I applied to lawschool a long time ago in a time of self doubt. My numbers are not that great, and hundreds of people a year do not get in to medical school. Over the years I've worked hard at highschool and college debate and public speaking so lawschool has always been sort of a sure thing.

:laugh: More like ~30,000+!

My first advice is to go with what others are telling you. DO NOT mention the Law School admission in any LOI that you write.

My second worthless 2 cents is this: If you are fortunate enough to gain admission to Med School, make SURE that you are into it 100% because if you are not, Med School will chew you up and spit you out, then do it again (and again, and again, and again).

There's a reason everyone that goes through this has a high degree of respect for anyone else that does it. I'm learning this every day. Med School is not something MOST folks can do "halfway". You are either all in, or you're gonna go down. It's the ultimate "sink or swim" test I've experienced.

This is the reason that everyone is saying not to mention Law School. It's because if the AdCom has any inkling that you're not 100% committed, you're done in my opinion. I think you're fastest way to guarantee you won't get in is to put anything about Law School on your LOI.

top 20 law is good.

I'm not one of you 3.75 GPA with a 3.90 science and a 32 MCAT. I want to be a Doctor more than anything. But i'm also practical enough to prepare myself to do something I will enjoy, be successful at and support my family with.

This does not really address your initial question about the letter (don't mention law school), but as a practicing attorney I can tell you that if medical school is where you really want to be, you should scrap law school and save yourself the $150k in debt. I postponed med school for valid reasons, went to law school because it was "easy" and I had the same ideas about supporting myself and my family, and here I am eight years later busting my butt to get into med school, hugely in debt, and making less money than a UPS driver. Does it have its fun days? Sure! Do I get satisfaction from what I do? Often. But it's not where I want to be. I say go with whichever you are most passionate about. Now that I am in a place where I can go to med school, I would happily throw away my entire legal career (and plan to!).

We are having bridge student interviews this week. If you haven't interviewed yet, you might check on the status of your application.