LOI vs LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAreject

Registered "User"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between a letter of intent and a letter of interest, if there is a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLAreject said:
Whats the difference between a letter of intent and a letter of interest, if there is a difference.

This has already been answered in other recent threads.

A letter of intent means that if a school accepts you, you promise to matriculate. You should only send a letter of intent to one school. Usually they are sent post-interview, especially if you are put on hold or the waitlist, but you can send them pre-interview.

A letter of interest means that you are writing to say that you like the school, are still interested and can also contain an update of activities. You do not promise to go there if you are accepted and these can be sent to many schools at any time. These are usually sent pre-interview.

I just like to add one more thing about the letter of intent. I think even if you write one and promise to go, I don't think it is a legally binding document. But ethically, I think you should follow through it. But you can always back out before they make the decision to accept you.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAreject said:

There is also a Letter of Intimidation in which you threaten an AdCom member and can even back it up by hiring and sending goons to put "the squeeze" on AdCom member and "strongly encourage" them into accepting you.

I am strongly considering this tactic at a couple of schools.

Cherebourg said:
There is also a Letter of Intimidation in which you threaten an AdCom member and can even back it up by hiring and sending goons to put "the squeeze" on AdCom member and "strongly encourage" them into accepting you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :idea:

Cherebourg said:

:laugh: