Loma Linda and Religon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipinjoy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iam really on the fence about applying to Loma Linda. How strict and imposing is the school in regards to religion? I am not a very religious person. For those of you who attend Loma Linda, how are the world religion classes that are required as part of the curriculum? How is the school overall? Is the school accepting to those who are not Seventh Day Adventists? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ipinjoy said:
Iam really on the fence about applying to Loma Linda. How strict and imposing is the school in regards to religion? I am not a very religious person. For those of you who attend Loma Linda, how are the world religion classes that are required as part of the curriculum? How is the school overall? Is the school accepting to those who are not Seventh Day Adventists? Thanks!

I'm not a religious person at all. On the application, I marked that I'm Christian, but don't fellowship or go to church and I still got accepted. At the interview, they kept on telling us that they are a very diverse school and their students come from many different religious backgrounds (I have a friend who is Buddhist and she was accepted). I'm not sure how the curriculum works since I'll be starting in Sept, but I do know that we're required to attend chapel every Wed for one hour (which I'm sure won't be THAT bad).

Their pharmacy school is fairly new. They just graduated their first class last week or something, so they should be getting accredited soon. LLU is also an established university with a medical, dental, and nursing school. So overall, I think it is a very good school.

I think you should apply cus you'd never know which school will end up accepting you. I have this theory that the entire app process is random and based on luck. If pharmacy is your calling, don't let the religious aspect scare you away - it's only for four years, and four years go by fast! Good luck! =)

I'm currently a student at LLU for undergrad and I'm thinking about applying for our pharm program. LLU is not very strict on imposing the Adventist religion, but you'll definitely notice it in your life. By that I mean there are certain things that Adventists follow that you'll have to live with. Biggest things that come to mind are no meat, caffeine, and pepper (!!!) on campus or at the medical center. Also, everything closes early on friday so they can obey the sabbath which starts on sundown friday and lasts until sundown saturday, so the school is closed on saturday. But everything starts opening up again on sunday, such as the library and gym. Oh yeah, chapel every Wednesday morning is a drag! one hour a week might not seem much, but it'll get to you. All in all though, I think it's a great place to learn because there aren't many distractions (not much social opportunities here) and having the LL medical center across the street is a great resource for experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all your input. I think I will end up applying. =)

ipinjoy said:

Freshmen year you have three religion classes (one of them is ethics, a class offered by many pharm schools). The classes are really laid back and mostly consist of group discussions. It's a nice opportunity because you get to know some of your classmates better. Also, many connections are made between being a practicing health care professional and treating patients from different faiths and backgrounds (an invaluable asset).