Loma Linda my #1 choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VegasBabyVegas said:
If you have taken anatomy and embryology or anything like that and learned how incredibly perfect the body is...how do you refute there being a Celestial Architect? Oh...they body just is the way it is, because...it just is? I don't think so.

Perfect...definitely not. Complex... yes. Keep in mind to mammoth time scale involved in these processes and systems evolving, oh wait, the earth was created a few thousand years ago, right? If everything is so perfect explain genetic disorders and cancer among many other imperfections in life. Also, why is it that whenever someone within the scientific community starts talking about intelligent design, the institution to which they work for make hast in distancing themselves from that individual by publicly stated their dissonance with those concepts? Go and ask your anatomy or embryology professor if the body is "perfect".

http://www.lehigh.edu/~inbios/news/evolution.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Audio said:
Hey, God ignores billions of starving people in Africa, India and China but hey, God sure plays a role in admissions decisions! If you believe God can help you get into dental school, then I say why not trade your acceptance to help let's say...100 children in a third world country survive. That's what I would do...God, I'd trade getting into any dental school if you would help those less fortunate than me!

i am sorry i dont get your response at all. all i was trying to point out to you was that you'll fit in at LLU and the fact that i dont think luck or religion has anything to do with your acceptance. your credentials do my friend. credentials!

PERFECT3435 said:
i am sorry i dont get your response at all. all i was trying to point out to you was that you'll fit in at LLU and the fact that i dont think luck or religion has anything to do with your acceptance. your credentials do my friend. credentials!

Uhhhh, I think you quoted the wrong poster cuz I definately don't think God needs to be involved with the admissions process :D

Members don't see this ad :)
VegasBabyVegas said:
If you have taken anatomy and embryology or anything like that and learned how incredibly perfect the body is...how do you refute there being a Celestial Architect? Oh...they body just is the way it is, because...it just is? I don't think so.

It's called evolution. We've come a long way from that unicellular organism haven't we but the evolutionary links are so clear. I won't go through all the evidence because it won't make a difference. As they say, you can't turn a hoe into a housewife ;)

Whatever happened to respect for other people's religions?

You all should be ashamed!

This person definitely made themselves vulnerable in their post and everybody just jumped on the "ridicule the newbie" bandwagon..

burton117 said:

This person definitely made themselves vulnerable in their post and everybody just jumped on the "ridicule the newbie" bandwagon..

eh, its more fun to argue.

burton117 said:

Thanks. Finally, someone agrees with me. The original poster wanted us to wish him luck. I keep saying plz wish him luck instead of attacking his beliefs. Nobody listens. We can attack religions under a separate thread.

dat_student said:
Thanks. Finally, someone agrees with me. The original poster wanted us to wish him luck. I keep saying plz wish him luck instead of attacking his beliefs. Nobody listens. We can attack religions under a separate thread.

See, the only thing is that the OP believes that I am going to hell because I haven't "given" my life to Jesus Christ. I have no problem with people being religious as long as they keep it to themselves. Everyone can believe what they want but when entire nations are being run by religious fanatics i.e. Saudi Arabia, US, etc... I think it should be cause for alarm. If religion had no ill effects on the greater society, especially those who don't adopt a certain view, then I wouldn't have any problem with it. But I assure you the same person who says God bless your soul and Jesus this and Jesus that also believes they should just drop a nuclear bomb on the middle east and kill all those non believers. My problem with religion is the hypocrocy. I don't believe in organized religion or in God as described by any of the big 3 religions but I'm the one talking about charity for the less fortunate and tolerance of all views. I thought those were values associated with religion. I think it's just proper upbringing. And I surely am not claiming to be anything special but, at least I don't use religion to judge other people and to justify their mistreatment.

In closing, just because someone believes in God doesn't mean they are a good person and just because someone doesn't believe in Him doesn't make them a bad person.

Audio said:
See, the only thing is that the OP believes that I am going to hell because I haven't "given" my life to Jesus Christ. I have no problem with people being religious as long as they keep it to themselves. Everyone can believe what they want but when entire nations are being run by religious fanatics i.e. Saudi Arabia, US, etc... I think it should be cause for alarm. If religion had no ill effects on the greater society, especially those who don't adopt a certain view, then I wouldn't have any problem with it. But I assure you the same person who says God bless your soul and Jesus this and Jesus that also believes they should just drop a nuclear bomb on the middle east and kill all those non believers. My problem with religion is the hypocrocy. I don't believe in organized religion or in God as described by any of the big 3 religions but I'm the one talking about charity for the less fortunate and tolerance of all views. I thought those were values associated with religion. I think it's just proper upbringing. And I surely am not claiming to be anything special but, at least I don't use religion to judge other people and to justify their mistreatment.

In closing, just because someone believes in God doesn't mean they are a good person and just because someone doesn't believe in Him doesn't make them a bad person.

I sense a double standard. On the one hand, you say it's okay that people are religious; yet, on the other hand, you insist that they keep it to themselves. What if part of one's religous expression is that they share their faith with others?

Mr.E said:
I sense a double standard. On the one hand, you say it's okay that people are religious; yet, on the other hand, you insist that they keep it to themselves. What if part of one's religous expression is that they share their faith with others?

Does that mean it is okay for Al Qaeda to share their faith with others?

Mr.E said:

Listen, we are all free here to do what we want. I'm not saying you can't share your religion. In fact, I love learning about new religions and new cultures. But, when that religion says that all non-believers are condemned to hell, I find it insulting when someone says, " God bless you." Also, I dont' care about expressing your religion, I care about it affecting a person's chances in this society. If you are affiliated with the Christian far right, you have a lot of doors open for you in the US. Same thing with Islamic theocracies. It is dangerous and unfair for religion to be mixed with our public institutions. I don't believe in organized religion but, I wouldn't ban it if I were in charge. If there is a God, He wouldn't want us to sit around and gossip and judge other people as many hypocrites do. Go out and affect the world in a positive way, don't look down at people who don't share your views.

Members don't see this ad :)
libratl said:
Does that mean it is okay for Al Qaeda to share their faith with others?

Al Qaeda is not sharing their faith with others, they are waging a "Holy War" on infidels and in the process killing innocent human life, including other muslims. This is contrary to the idea of sharing one's faith with others! Wouldn't you agree?

I hate evangelical christians, my automatic response to "would you like to come to bible study?" or "have you accepted the savior Jesus Christ?" is a swift jabbing of a spoon into one of their eyes.

Mr.E said:
Al Qaeda is not sharing their faith with others, they are waging a "Holy War" on infidels and in the process killing innocent human life, including other muslims. This is contrary to the idea of sharing one's faith with others! Wouldn't you agree?

Yup, this is another problem with living in a far right Christian state. People close their minds so much that they associate a few thousand terrorists with over 1 billion Muslims. I think it's important to separate the two but, I don't blame you guys because the US media and government doesn't do a great job in fostering understanding. But you guys have to realize that is how they stay in power. It's the oldest trick in the book. Find an enemy and unite. Forget about Bush's domestic policy and focus on those dirty muslims. How else can you explain Bush being re-elected. The US's domestic situation was and is horrible yet this guy is a modern day prophet for some. Religion is a dangerous thing!

And just let me add that I've met a lot of cool people who are down with Jesus. Some of them are really kind and compassionate. I'm not talking about individual people here. I'm talking about the masses, more of an idea. I just think people should just embrace all cultures and religions. The only problem is that when you become a hardcore believer in one religion, you basically believe that anyone not sharing you view needs saving or is going to burn in hell.

Audio said:
...believes that I am going to hell because I haven't "given" my life to Jesus Christ...but when entire nations are being run by religious fanatics i.e. Saudi Arabia, US, etc... I think it should be cause for alarm...But I assure you the same person who says God bless your soul and Jesus this and Jesus that also believes they should just drop a nuclear bomb on the middle east and kill all those non believers. My problem with religion is the hypocrocy...

There are many religious fanatics. As you said, many people are religious for power & money. No doubt about that. I am not religous. I am not trying to defend any religions. Let's read the original post once again:

dentalbandgeek said:
Hi everyone. Loma Linda is great for giving someone like me an interview. This is my third time applying to dental schools and I have never gotten an interview from schools until this year from Loma Linda... I really appreciate Loma Linda for inviting me for the interview. I applied to about 11 schools this year, and doesn't look like I'll get into any other schools. Loma Linda is the only hope at this point and I would be so grateful to all of you if you could pray for me...Thank you all of you for your prayers. God Bless you all!!

I don't think dentalbandgeek wanted to attack any nation or drop nuclear bombs. I don't think he told non-believers to go to hell. All he wanted was our support. He wanted us to wish him luck. So, please wish him luck instead of attacking his beliefs. dentalbandgeek, we all wish you the best of luck.

dat_student said:
There are many religious fanatics. As you said, many people are religious for power & money. No doubt about that. I am not religous. I am not trying to defend any religions. Let's read the original post once again:

I don't think dentalbandgeek wanted to attack any nation or drop nuclear bombs. I don't think he told non-believers to go to hell. All he wanted was our support. He wanted us to wish him luck. So, please wish him luck instead of attacking his beliefs. dentalbandgeek, we all wish you the best of luck.

I wish him luck but what about the fact that he's gotten 1 interview in 3 years and it's from Loma Linda. Hmmm...I wonder if he found God after being rejected 2 times? It seems like as an applicant, he's really weak and the only reason he has an interview at Loma Linda is because of his religious affiliations. If I applied there and stated my beliefs, I would be rejected on the spot yet I am a competitive applicant at other schools that don't take religion into account. It's like affirmative action but not for people who have been treated unjustly. It's for people who affiliate themselves with a particular movement. I think that's kind of fishy and I sure don't want my dentist to be working on my teeth because he "found" Jesus in his life. I want my dentist to be competent. The fact that the OP has 1 interview in 3 years of applying and it's from Loma Linda just seems interesting to me.

I applied to Loma Linda last year, but after I found out about their religious beliefs, I withdrew my application. This year I did not even bother applying. I wont be able to survive in an institution which forces their beliefs.

oldboy said:
oh wait, the earth was created a few thousand years ago, right? [/url]

...you need to read the Bible, and if you have already, you don't understand it. Do people still think God's days are only 24 hours?

Audio said:
Yup, this is another problem with living in a far right Christian state. People close their minds so much that they associate a few thousand terrorists with over 1 billion Muslims. I think it's important to separate the two but, I don't blame you guys because the US media and government doesn't do a great job in fostering understanding. But you guys have to realize that is how they stay in power. It's the oldest trick in the book. Find an enemy and unite. Forget about Bush's domestic policy and focus on those dirty muslims. How else can you explain Bush being re-elected. The US's domestic situation was and is horrible yet this guy is a modern day prophet for some. Religion is a dangerous thing!

I'm sort of confused. How did you construe that I associate the acts of terroist with those of muslims? You should read more carefully.

Mr.E said:
I'm sort of confused. How did you construe that I associate the acts of terroist with those of muslims? You should read more carefully.

Sorry, my mistake :)

VegasBabyVegas said:
...you need to read the Bible, and if you have already, you don't understand it. Do people still think God's days are only 24 hours?

Ahhhh, so now the Bible is open to interpretation. So how does it work, you pick and chose what to follow strictly and what you want changed around? The Bible talks about Adam and Eve. Come on, Eve was actually created from Adam's rib? Are you kidding me? What about the fossil record? What about evolution? What about the vast number of homolgous genes between humans and other species. But hey, it's in the Bible so it must be true.

phremius said:
I hate evangelical christians, my automatic response to "would you like to come to bible study?" or "have you accepted the savior Jesus Christ?" is a swift jabbing of a spoon into one of their eyes.

If this comment doesn't get this thread closed, what will?

For crying out loud people!!!

burton117 said:
If this comment doesn't get this thread closed, what will?

For crying out loud people!!!

He's probably Christian himself so I think you can let it slide :D

And besides, we're all adults here. I'm sure if there was some private school opened by a Muslim in the US that gave strong preference to Muslim students, you'd all have something to say and since the US claims to be a fair and equal society, I think we have a right to comment on such a school as those graduates will be our future colleagues and representatives of the profession. That's why competence and not religious affiliation is key.

Audio! I would suggest that you quit while you are still kind of ahead. If anyone else is paying close attention to what you are writing they have begun to see the very thing that you proclaim to be so against "Hypocracy".

this is another problem with living in a far right Christian state. People close their minds so much that they associate a few thousand terrorists with over 1 billion Muslims

Yet you associate all religious people with religious extremists who "think that if you don't share their belief you'll burn in hell".

The only problem is that when you become a hardcore believer in one religion, you basically believe that anyone not sharing you view needs saving or is going to burn in hell.

How about the following as well...

If there is a God, He wouldn't want us to sit around and gossip and judge other people as many hypocrites do. Go out and affect the world in a positive way, don't look down at people who don't share your views.

Yet you have no problem judging the OP, and do you really think you're not looking down at him because he may not think the same way you do......well your post sure says otherwise. Man...Great job in affecting the world in a positive way. Props to you buddy!

See, the only thing is that the OP believes that I am going to hell because I haven't "given" my life to Jesus Christ

It seems to me that you are all about letting people believe what they want to believe, just as long as they treat others with respect and allow you to believe what you want to believe. Well Audio, the OP never attacked you or your beliefs, or anyone else on this thread so what the hell is your issue. I guess in your defence however.....

My parents taught me these values without ever linking them to God and I'm glad because at least I'm not a holier than thou hypocrite!

Like who....the OP, or the rest of us on the forum? Take your own advice man, because for the most part it is pretty good, the only problem is that you just don't think it applies to you.

Lostinbul said:
Audio! I would suggest that you quit while you are still kind of ahead. If anyone else is paying close attention to what you are writing they have begun to see the very thing that you proclaim to be so against "Hypocracy".

Yet you associate all religious people with religious extremists who "think that if you don't share their belief you'll burn in hell".

Yet you have no problem judging the OP, and do you really think you're not looking down at him because he may not think the same way you do......well your post sure says otherwise. Man...Great job in affecting the world in a positive way. Props to you buddy!

It seems to me that you are all about letting people believe what they want to believe, just as long as they treat others with respect and allow you to believe what you want to believe. Well Audio, the OP never attacked you or your beliefs, or anyone else on this thread so what the hell is your issue. I guess in your defence however.....

Like who....the OP, or the rest of us on the forum? Take your advice man, because for the most part it is pretty good, the only problem is that you just don't think it applies to you.

well put.

Mr.E said:

I was actually agreeing with your point.

Lostinbul said:

Like who....the OP, or the rest of us on the forum? Take your own advice man, because for the most part it is pretty good, the only problem is that you just don't think it applies to you.

nice piece. THe only thing is that it is unfortunate that someone who is obviously not a competitive applicant gets an interview for praising God every 5 seconds. It seems dishonest. If you are a believer, you don't need to point it out every second.

Also, you missed the part where I wrote how I'm speaking about the masses and not individuals. I've met good and bad people worldwide, religious and non-religious. I'm talking about movements such as Islamic or Christian fundamentalism around the world that manipulates their followers.

I mean, as a Canadian, it scares the **** out of me that the Christian far right leader comes on to television and says that Sept. 11 happened because of all the gays. Or that Katrina was God's way of punishing the sinners of New Orleans. I put that on the same level as those suicide bombers in the middle east.

Anyways, I'd like to apologize to the OP. I meant no harm and I wish you luck in doing something positive. Have you ever thought that you don't get many interviews because God doesn't want you to harm people if you become a dentist?

Audio said:
nice piece. THe only thing is that it is unfortunate that someone who is obviously not a competitive applicant gets an interview for praising God every 5 seconds. It seems dishonest. If you are a believer, you don't need to point it out every second.

Also, you missed the part where I wrote how I'm speaking about the masses and not individuals. I've met good and bad people worldwide, religious and non-religious. I'm talking about movements such as Islamic or Christian fundamentalism around the world that manipulates their followers.

I mean, as a Canadian, it scares the **** out of me that the Christian far right leader comes on to television and says that Sept. 11 happened because of all the gays. Or that Katrina was God's way of punishing the sinners of New Orleans. I put that on the same level as those suicide bombers in the middle east.

Anyways, I'd like to apologize to the OP. I meant no harm and I wish you luck in doing something positive. Have you ever thought that you don't get many interviews because God doesn't want you to harm people if you become a dentist?

Have you considered the idea that the OP might be trying to recover from a year or two of undergrad where his grades really sucked and dispite many semesters of 3.5+ GPAs his overall GPA is hovering around a 2.9 which is keeping him from becoming truly competitive. There also is a SDN member whose DAT AA was something like a 26 and due to a low GPA has only been extended one or two interview or so (rajmahal2004). You continue to make assumptions about the OP that in reality is truly unfair. And you know what making ASSumptions does don't you? It makes an ASS out of you and anyone who listens to you.

Lostinbul said:
Have you considered the idea that the OP might be trying to recover from a year or two of undergrad where his grades really sucked and dispite many semesters of 3.5+ GPAs his overall GPA is hovering around a 2.9 which is keeping him from becoming truly competitive. There also is a SDN member whose DAT AA was something like a 26 and due to a low GPA has only been extended one or two interview or so (rajmahal2004). You continue to make assumptions about the OP that in reality is truly unfair. And you know what making ASSumptions does don't you? It makes an ASS out of you and anyone who listens to you.

You're right. I shouldn't assume anything. But it's fun and I want to :D Also, it seems like the OP would fit right in at Loma Linda.

Let me say this. I applied to Creighton and I know they have a jesuit background yet I wouldn't be opposed to attending the school because they seem very open minded and embracing of all views. They want students who demonstrate great leadership in the community. Those are the positive values of religion and I appreciate those yet I'm not religious and I have done lots of volunteer work. It's all about tolerance. Loma Linda doesn't seem to have any whereas Creighton does.

enough is enough. Let dead horses lie.

burton117 said:

I agree wholeheartedly. At the very least, and pushing religious ideology aside, someone opened up themselves to everyone here on SDN to ask for support. It's clear from the OP's post that he/she has had a hard time in the past pursuing their dream of dentistry - a dream that most of you share as well, and one that you can hopefully appreciate the stress and struggles surrounding the pursuit of it. SDN is neutral on the topic of religion, and despite the nature of the OP's post, it disheartens me to see some of you attacking and kicking a person who is down on their luck and who is asking for help. Whether or not you agree with how they are asking for it is another matter. What I am asking of you all, at the most basic level, is that you demonstrate the same sensitivity and maturity towards each other that I hope you will excercise towards your patients, your staff, and society at large when you all become professionals and practitioners of dentistry.

With that said, I am closing this thread due to obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.