Loma Linda University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why did you decide to attend Loma Linda School of Medicine?

• Religious aspect of program

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Didn't have any choice, it was the only school that would accept me!

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • The tuition!

Votes: 6 8.6%
    Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Friends

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Parent relative was an alumnus

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
While the topic of Culture Shock (CS) has been brought up, I can say most of the Cali people I know get the CS . . . So different that, being from SoCal, life in the inland empire is NOT representative of typical Southern California. So enjoy your time in Loma Linda and definitely explore what the REAL SoCal has to offer.

I was talking about the attitude of people you find in southern california - a certain narcissitic, self-centeredness, "me-first" kind of attitude that is not as prevelent in other parts of the country. There is no way a person would be actively knowledgeable about these type of subconscious attitude outside of the therapists office. Yeah the inland empire is somewhat different in demographics and things to do than LA, orange country, or San Diego - but the attitude does not change - just more rich people. I'm glad I'm gonzo - I made the most of it while I was here, but shudder to think of staying, living, and raising a family.

Different strokes my friend . . . different strokes . . . and the truth is, if I really have to explain it, I doubt you'd really understand. Good luck next year. You will need it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was talking about the attitude of people you find in southern california - a certain narcissitic, self-centeredness, "me-first" kind of attitude that is not as prevelent in other parts of the country. There is no way a person would be actively knowledgeable about these type of subconscious attitude outside of the therapists office. Yeah the inland empire is somewhat different in demographics and things to do than LA, orange country, or San Diego - but the attitude does not change - just more rich people. I'm glad I'm gonzo - I made the most of it while I was here, but shudder to think of staying, living, and raising a family.

Different strokes my friend . . . different strokes . . . and the truth is, if I really have to explain it, I doubt you'd really understand. Good luck next year. You will need it.

You won't need to explain anything because I get it. Just because one grows up here doesn't mean they are oblivious to it. (Well, I'm not oblivious, I realized it over 10 years ago.) Perhaps we're better conditioned for the dog eat dog world we live in.

But hey, I'm assuming you've found a residency location that's probably closer to your roots. If you can find a place that limits the American individualistic mentality, more power to you.

Anyone have a link to LLU's Match List from March 2007?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a link to LLU's Match List from March 2007?

I saw the match list from 2006 by going to the admissions office and asking for it. They suggested that I could try the Dean's Office for the current year's match list, but I also don't think you'll find it online.

-how strict is the dress code really? I mean for classes, not the hospital.
-do we have some sort of locker area? a place to keep all of our junk and a change of clothes for smelly anatomy lab?
-how smelly is the anatomy lab? (I'm guessing it's not the newest, which probably means the ventilation is bad)
-how's the health insurance?
Thanks!

-do we have some sort of locker area? a place to keep all of our junk and a change of clothes for smelly anatomy lab?
-how smelly is the anatomy lab? (I'm guessing it's not the newest, which probably means the ventilation is bad)
Thanks!

We're lucky cause we don't have a dress code for lectures. The only time you'll need to dress up in slacks/tie is for PDX Lab, which will be once or twice a quarter. (Only because the practice patient rooms are in the hospital.)

You will have lockers in the Alumni Hall (Pathology lab). You'll have to keep your rented microscopes (yes, they charged $55) there so there's not a lot of room. If you're lucky, you'll get a separate locker inside the path lab to keep the microscope and will have the hallway locker free to keep things in.

You'll also have a shared locker in the anatomy lab to keep your labcoat and/or scrubs if you have a set. (You won't be able to use the hospital scrubs for anatomy lab.) Imagine 3 cubicles with 9 cadavers each reserved for just medical students. Don't forget there are 2 more cubicles with 9 cadavers each reserved for Dental students and extra cadavers along the wall for 4th years who are doing an anatomy elective. After about 15 minutes in the lab, your clothes will be saturated with the smell, so expect to wash whatever clothes you have after lab.

The health insurance? Not the greatest, there's a $30 copay for most medications...you can go to student health for free, but sometimes there's a week wait for appointments. You can always call student health to get a copy of the health insurance plan.

Thanks!

Dress code is causual for lectures, although I do strongly suggest wearing clothes, this isn't berekely and you might get arrested.

There's lockers enough - live at home not the campus. By your second year the new facilities should be open for business, and I have no idea what sort of student amenities will there.

New ventilation in anatomy lab along with new and improved air conditioning. I had to sweat my balls off up there, and I kinda think you should too, but I'm sure that's just sour grapes. With the lower temp in the labs - remember your organic chem here - you have less vaporization of preservative and therefore less smell. I suggest picking up a cheap set of scrubs for lab an only using them in the lab - one single set that can be ruined and thrown when you're done.

The insurance and student health clinic are great. You can get in immediately if you need to. $30 copay for name-brand meds and $15 for generics, most office visits will have a $20-40 copay. That's great. Seriously, you'll spend more than that on a night out. People who complain have no clear understanding of their repsonsibility to their own helath care.

p.s. I heard that the class of 2007 (I think) started a student-run clinic in the San Bernardino area. A great opportunity to begin our missions work!

Congrats to all of you who got in and who are now bopping around here - in just 10 short days I'll be bidding the place adieu.

Student Run Clinic - contact e-mail {I can't give out the director's} is [email protected] and I'll forward it to the directing student.

Dress Code is virtually immaterial: I came to school with a bright yellow faux-hawk {my hair is black} for the first 2 years more or less, and there wasn't an issue; I routinely wore VERY torn up jeans and tattered t-shirts, never heard anything about it; the one thing you do want to bear in mind is that these people will have a hand in writing your Dean's Letter that will be sent to residency programs in the future one day - don't do anything that will make you look like a horrible slob, like a *****, or like anything that you don't want to be. It's ok to be loungey and to be relaxed - just don't be glaringly insane with your dress. Come on guys - you're adults, you can do it :) The wards dress code is of course formal.

What else ... well I guess that's all for the moment. OH! I live in a house now with 3 fellas who will be next year a 2nd year, 3rd year, and 4th year - if anyone has any interest in living in a house with great dudes who have a lot of fun and who can help advise on how to not suck up med school, drop me a line. :) I move out on June 2ndish and I'll be leaving behind 2 rooms upstairs in a house about a 5 minute walk from campus; rent is $350/month and utilities usually run about $25/month.

Welcome to the LLUSM place! I'm not an Adventist and I had a pretty flipping good time here ... enjoy!:D

DUDE!! There you are! There are some whackjobs on this SDN site ... direct me to them. Together we shall crush their skulls. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

It seems I'm the first one on StudentDoctor to post about my acceptance and decision to attend Loma Linda.

Congratulations to all the rest of you! I live in the Loma Linda area so PM me if you have any questions about the location, housing, medical school etc

So I'm about to graduate here in a few days. I want to leave things to help you kids out through your times - what things do you feel that you are in particular need of? I love to give advice {my Achilles' heel} and some is good, some less so, but it's all free and it is all from someone who has walked in your flip-flops.

I blog a lot about things that happen to me {mostly medical things} on my blog at http://hotchkiss4.blogspot.com - feel free to peruse and take a look. You'll read about some things that you have to look forward to when you get into the clinical years. WHEEE!

I have a question...

so our orientation/registration is August 2nd-3rd (Thurs-Fri). August 2nd is our white coat ceremony, right? What do we do on Aug 3rd? Student registration stuff? How long does that take?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a wedding to attend August 4th and I wanna know if I can leave by Friday afternoon to drive back up to norcal...or if I have to buy plane tickets.

The Orientation schedule has a lot of starts and stops in it, and it's often unpredictable as to when things will be done because the timing is more subject to the whims of the people presenting, etc ...

I would probably fly up to NorCal, but that's just my position because you want to avoid as much potential mishap as possible for the inbound few days. Should something bizarre happen and your car has issues, there's a bizarre fire that keeps the roads blocked, or there's horrid traffic, or whatever, you don't want to be missing the beginning of the year stuff. Is the stuff that crucial? Not particularly, but you do want to be there as much as possible - going back to check out boxes might suck.

The other thing you can do is to call LLUMC @ 909.558.1000, choose option 0, then ask to be connected to the School of Medicine Dean's Office; Carol Weismeyer will pick up {she's GREAT} and you can ask her what she thinks ... she knows everyone, everything, and she'll help you out no matter what kind of bind you get in. :) She's like an angel. And she's VERY well connected.

Is that helpful at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm already in SoCal, but I'm planning to move to the Inland Empire around July 1. That'll give my husband and me time to settle into a new place before I start!

yes, very. thanks a lot :)

with the price of gas these days...flying is probably almost the same price :p

The Orientation schedule has a lot of starts and stops in it, and it's often unpredictable as to when things will be done because the timing is more subject to the whims of the people presenting, etc ...

I would probably fly up to NorCal, but that's just my position because you want to avoid as much potential mishap as possible for the inbound few days. Should something bizarre happen and your car has issues, there's a bizarre fire that keeps the roads blocked, or there's horrid traffic, or whatever, you don't want to be missing the beginning of the year stuff. Is the stuff that crucial? Not particularly, but you do want to be there as much as possible - going back to check out boxes might suck.

The other thing you can do is to call LLUMC @ 909.558.1000, choose option 0, then ask to be connected to the School of Medicine Dean's Office; Carol Weismeyer will pick up {she's GREAT} and you can ask her what she thinks ... she knows everyone, everything, and she'll help you out no matter what kind of bind you get in. :) She's like an angel. And she's VERY well connected.

Is that helpful at all?

Hi all. I Just moved to Redlands (about 3 miles from LLU) this weekend. Dang, it's hot here...

Well, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone when school starts - it'll be here in no time.

I really don't know anybody here, so if anyone else has moved here already and wants to maybe hang out a bit, let me know!

Ok y'all! I think we should plan a meet and greet (or several) as people begin to arrive in the IE (Inland Empire, if you didn't get that) for school. So, let's chat, here or on facebook, about when and where.

I vote for a day at the beach, maybe a baseball game, or dinner/drinks before we have to give up alcohol altogether!
:D
For those of you arriving in the area who are bored or lonely. I know there are several of us who are here already and know the area. I'll be working until mid-June, but after that I'd love to hang out and meet you all!

i vote for beach too :D but I won't be there until mid-late July.

Ok y'all! I think we should plan a meet and greet (or several) as people begin to arrive in the IE (Inland Empire, if you didn't get that) for school. So, let's chat, here or on facebook, about when and where.

I vote for a day at the beach, maybe a baseball game, or dinner/drinks before we have to give up alcohol altogether!
For those of you arriving in the area who are bored or lonely. I know there are several of us who are here already and know the area. I'll be working until mid-June, but after that I'd love to hang out and meet you all!

Hi all!
I got a letter yesterday notifying me that we all have to have background checks done prior to June 15. So I went online and found out it costs $74!!...and my order (sent 5/17/07) will be completed around May 27th.
SO DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO ORDER IT, IT TAKES ~10 DAYS!!
I just don't want anyone to freak out on June 14th...

Hey man - what do you like to do? What do you WANT to do? When do you guys start? We've got some stuff that might help keep you occupied ... most of the students in the classes ahead of you are either in exams {2nd years}, finals {3rd years} or graduating {4th years} BUT, there are always people who are willing to hang out and give you some ideas of what to do with yourself. A few are even on here!

You DO have to get the background check done. It won't ruin your medical school life if you don't have it though ... there are a LOT of things like this that will happen - what most likely will occur if you don't meet the deadlines repeatedly is that you run the risk of having a negative "non-cognitive" assessment levied against you, or you could end up with an outright "unprofessional" comment in your Dean's Letter.

Either of those things could be FAR more damaging than a slap on the wrist for just being late: those kinds of things end up in residency info that gets sent out when you apply, and if you have those, residencies will shy away from you. As lame as it is, they {the LLUSM} use this against you as a weapon.

Stay on top of your crap! And good luck :)

I'm definitely up for getting together before school starts, but it looks like I won't be moving until mid-July. Hopefully, there will be some good apartment deals for mid July.

I'm definitely up for getting together before school starts, but it looks like I won't be moving until mid-July. Hopefully, there will be some good apartment deals for mid July.

You should really think about calling me or my roommates - I'm moving out and they're looking for a new replacement John Hotchkiss :) They are awesome - v. fun, the house is RIGHT by school, is old but very very liveable, has most of the furniture you'd want already, is CHEAP {$350/month for rent, usually $25-30/month utilities}, and I've loved it the whole time I've lived here.

The roommates will be a 4th year, 3rd year, and 2nd year - you've got the whole slew of medical school experiences from which to draw. I've loved this house for the relationships it's afforded me. You'd be wise to at least give me a call since this is a goooood place to live, and we're looking for a roommate fairly actively. :)

Talk soon if you like! And this offer goes out to anyone else needing a place to live! I'll be moving out June 3rdish so it'll be vacant when you arrive in all likelihood.

John 909.844.8558

Sounds like an awesome deal, however I'm a girl so it is probably not the best situation for me. Plus, I wouldn't make a good John Hotchkiss replacement although I am known to be pretty fun and uncalled for.

If anyone else has any good apartment deals please pm me! I'm across the country right now so it makes it a little harder to look for apartments.

Thanks!

Sounds like an awesome deal, however I'm a girl so it is probably not the best situation for me. Plus, I wouldn't make a good John Hotchkiss replacement although I am known to be pretty fun and uncalled for.

If anyone else has any good apartment deals please pm me! I'm across the country right now so it makes it a little harder to look for apartments.

Thanks!

Hi,
I looking to moving in mid-July as well, however I need a apt by next month. Does anyone have a 2 bed, walking distance to the school available for rent? Are there any apts close to school for sale? Thanks.

Don't know if I mis-sent the reply, but it's like this: anything the school wants to make you do, any petty thing, can be guaranteed to them by saying that if you don't do it, you'll get an unprofessional comment in your Dean's Letter. That will make for BIG problems when you apply for residency ... that reflects very poorly on you, even if it's about something totally petty.

Examples: you need to turn in professor evaluations and you forget to ... could be "unprofessional"; you need to attend a stupid meeting about God knows what, and to insure you show up they'll threaten you with an "unprofessional" comment in your Dean's Letter if you miss it.

It's a weapon. A lame, irritating weapon. But you have to jump when they say it or else ... UNPROFESSIONAL!!!

OK, Biochem question:

What should I be expecting from LLU medical biochem? I did well in undergrad biochem (1st quarter - biochem with lab; 2nd quarter - metabolism no lab; 3rd quarter - molecular bio/genetics which I did NOT take). But had a horrible instructor and hated the lab with a passion... my university prided itself on its particularly hellish biochem lab. The only thing that got me through the 1st quarter of biochem were the interesting things like amino acids, hemoglobin and pathologies. Is there a pretty crazy biochem lab in med school? Also, how much time is spent on biochemistry, metabolism, genetics, etc? 1st year only?

I guess while I'm at it, I may as well ask. What is the course layout for the first year (and 2nd year if you feel like) of med school at LLU?

They haven't given us our block schedules yet. I'm kinda bored and figured I'd brush up on some anat/physio/biochem before 1st year starts. Nothing too hardcore, but if there were a few gold nuggets that you would go into first year knowing reflexively, what would they be?

Thanks!

Are you on the east coast? I'm coming from NY state and I have no idea how or when I am going to get out there with my car and my stufffff. Oh yeah and I also don't have a place to live.

Are you on the east coast? I'm coming from NY state and I have no idea how or when I am going to get out there with my car and my stufffff. Oh yeah and I also don't have a place to live.

I'll be coming from MI. Wish apartment hunting was easier. I'm actually thinking of buying but it looks like there are no good deals right now.

I was in Loma Linda for a grand total of about 12 hours on interview day, and know nothing about the area.

Questions for someone at Loma Linda:

What is the public transit system like in the area? I won't be having a vehicle at all.

Is there a housing crunch come start of August? I will in all likelihood not be moving there until the day before classes, and would like to find a place for August 1st. Is this likely, especially since I won't be able to come until I move in?

When is a good time to start looking? I noticed in the Trading post people were not saying when the places advertised for rent were available.

I am coming from somewhere with a very low vacancy rate (0.5%), where finding housing is a free-for-all scramble (obsessive checking of craigslist and being one of the first callers), so I am sort of worried about housing. If someone could enlighten me that would be great.

OK, Biochem question:

What should I be expecting from LLU medical biochem? I did well in undergrad biochem (1st quarter - biochem with lab; 2nd quarter - metabolism no lab; 3rd quarter - molecular bio/genetics which I did NOT take). But had a horrible instructor and hated the lab with a passion... my university prided itself on its particularly hellish biochem lab. The only thing that got me through the 1st quarter of biochem were the interesting things like amino acids, hemoglobin and pathologies. Is there a pretty crazy biochem lab in med school? Also, how much time is spent on biochemistry, metabolism, genetics, etc? 1st year only?

I guess while I'm at it, I may as well ask. What is the course layout for the first year (and 2nd year if you feel like) of med school at LLU?

They haven't given us our block schedules yet. I'm kinda bored and figured I'd brush up on some anat/physio/biochem before 1st year starts. Nothing too hardcore, but if there were a few gold nuggets that you would go into first year knowing reflexively, what would they be?

Med school biochem is much more practical and conceptual, rather than technical or theoretical - you'll need to understand kenetics some, and know most of the major pathways - but most of the biochem you will get will be medical is nature. Since you don't know what that means exactly, I'm not sure this helps much. In my experience, you'll basically be in new territory after one week of medical biochem.

1st and 2nd year have been "retooled" since I started in 2002, so I'm not exactly sure I can give you much information other than things will be systems based - all the physio, cell, biochem, and anataomy of the heart as one block for insatnce, followed by GI system.

Don't spend time studying because, honestly, you have no clue, and there is nothing you could do now that will prepare you much. One area that might be helpful if you want to look at anything - just cannot help yourself - look at HISTOLOGY. If you're starting to see tissues and specifical cell types, rather than a blur of pink and purple.

Get on that crap! Finding a mover start here:

http://www.movingscam.com/

Follow their advice. Do not go with quote you get off of the internet. REAL movers do NOT take a deposit. REAL movers come to you house/apt and give you an (gaurateed not to exceede) estimate based on weight (NOT cubic feet). You may need nothing more than a uhaul/budget/penske truck with a trailer. (AVOID Nationwide Relocation Services or any other internet broker - deal DIRECTLY with any mover - stick with big names [united, allied, mayflower, north american] unless you know an independent folks to be reputable based on recommendations)

Fly out an finding an aprtemnt shouldn't be too hard. I suggest flying out and looking for a place, but alternatively, if you move your stuff, you could drive out ahead and let them know where to delivery once you have your place because you will make it out ahead of your stuff.

I was in Loma Linda for a grand total of about 12 hours on interview day, and know nothing about the area.

Questions for someone at Loma Linda:

What is the public transit system like in the area? I won't be having a vehicle at all.

Is there a housing crunch come start of August? I will in all likelihood not be moving there until the day before classes, and would like to find a place for August 1st. Is this likely, especially since I won't be able to come until I move in?

When is a good time to start looking? I noticed in the Trading post people were not saying when the places advertised for rent were available.

I am coming from somewhere with a very low vacancy rate (0.5%), where finding housing is a free-for-all scramble (obsessive checking of craigslist and being one of the first callers), so I am sort of worried about housing. If someone could enlighten me that would be great.

Call. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you need to practice being an adult. It's not like I was Mr. Super-adult prior to med school, and was in the same boat you are. I had to learn the hard way. So call ahead and find a place. Start now. Housing close (walking distance) to the hospital/school is a feeding frenzy, but you can easily find housing within 5 miles pretty easily on short notice.

Public transport exists, but it's not so great - takes long times to get around. This isn't like a seatte or a boston or a NY - SoCal is the most car dependent transportation area I can think of. You might want to consider getting a used car. You will be required during your third year to travel all over the area for clinicals

Thank you for your answers, thats all I need to know. Next time I will ask the questions without giving any reasons why.

Hi again everyone.

Couple more questions for you seasoned LLUers:

1 - The SOM budget calls for about 3,000 bucks for books and supplies, not including a computer. From what I can tell (from reading other threads) is that there are MANY books that are really unnecessary. Is this 3 grand just overkill? Will we even spend CLOSE to that amount on books and maybe an otoscope (I already have a BP cuff and Steth)?

2 - Reading some other threads, I get the idea that MANY, MANY folks at other med schools don't go to lecture. They just download lectures (audio or video) online. I personally like to go to lecture - I'm just wondering if LLU offers this same service of online recorded lectures. I was also told by a buddy who graduated another SOM that some classes - esp. anatomy - are taught essentially from the class syllabus, which made textbooks quite superfluous. What has been your experience?

3 - Having asked question #2, I'll ask what the required text is for biochem. I was fortunate to inherit the latest edition of lippencott's. Together with the course syllabus, do you think another text (required or recommended) is even worth the money?

I know that these questions are all sort of related - thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Hope this helps!

1. i never spent the amount of money they budget for us. I used "hand me downs" from previous students. The big $ are spent on textbooks, which are good references but you can always look them up in library or elsewhere. The books you want for yourself are review books. They are gold. I spent total of $300 max. for the first 2 yrs, I was cheap, just borrowed books instead. you'll need otoscope and such. You BP cuff may be alright, but they specify a Steth. You may want to bring yours in for them to ok it.

2. online recorded lectures are available for pathology only (2nd yr) to my knowledge. But LL supply online resources in addition to class materials. Some of the notes are good, so may not need to go to lecture if you're motivated to self study. Other lecture notes are terrible, you may need to attend class to find out what the lecturer emphasis. Ask around when you start out to know which lecture to attend. Always supplement with review books. Textbooks are good if you need to look up something to understand or have time to read through.

3. Your lippencott is more than enough. I did fine with just that.

When you say review books, what exactly do you mean and do you have any that you recommend?

thanks in advance

Ok, y'all...I'm heading towards my last day at work...8 more days...hooray!!!!:hardy:
Which means that I will be moving soon and wanting new friends at LLU to hang out with!! So...if you have not already done so:
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!!!!!!!!!!
I'll use that to get groups together for fun outings in the IE and broader SoCal. I figure that the 2-day orientation won't give us enough time to really get to know each other before classes start. So, even if you're not moving until July 28th...join the group and put yourself out there. There are like 200 of us c/o 2011ers, and like 20 on facebook...lame!

Can't wait to meet you all!

When you say review books, what exactly do you mean and do you have any that you recommend?

thanks in advance

Never mind. You are probably referring to USMLE step I review books and there are tons of threads on the different books out there.

Hey, I was just looking to see if anyone would be willing to share their undergrad stats with me. I'm a junior year undergrad and getting ready to start applying. I have an extremely low GPA so most likely will go abroad for MD, but I'm gonna apply for 1 or 2 schools in the US. I really like the look of Linda Loma. Any help on what they like in extracirricular activities would be great too. Thanks!

Hey current LLU students or anyone in the know...
what exactly is this ward experience thing we're doing the first two weeks after orientation? it sounds pretty great...starting off in the hospital! but is it like shadowing other students/residents/docs? or is it more of a simulation, like with fake patients and stuff? any info would be great, i'm just curoius what's in store for us.

Hey current LLU students or anyone in the know...
what exactly is this ward experience thing we're doing the first two weeks after orientation? it sounds pretty great...starting off in the hospital! but is it like shadowing other students/residents/docs? or is it more of a simulation, like with fake patients and stuff? any info would be great, i'm just curoius what's in store for us.

You'll be in the hospital rounding with the teams. You will pretty much be in the background. Many atteding try and teach some and may even ask you questions they think you can answer, but mostly, you show up and watch/shaddow - I liked to have my student's pre-round with me, get labs and vitals, and show physical exam finding when appropriate. Don't wear sneakers, put on a tie, and show up on time - even IF rounds never start "on time". It's all professionalism.

You'll enjoy yourself if you make the most of it.

thanks in advance

Board Review Series (BRS), High Yield Series (HY), First Aid (some say it's the Bible), and a bunch of others left and right. They usually come by subjects and contain high yield facts and pics (NOT BRS, it's all words). I won't buy them just yet.....when you start med school i'm sure those ppl who just finished Step 1 are dying to get rid of theirs....they will be sending out mass "for sale" emails, trust me.

Yes, they are mainly for Step 1 prep but you should use them throughout the 2 yrs of basic science, else cramming last minute through millions of info is going to shoot your brains.....unless you have photographic memory and don't need to fully understand test questions during an exam......then I'm insanely jealous of you.

Good luck with your move over here to sunny LL. Congrates to all you out there who got accepted.

Cheers!

Howdy, here's another question:

What are the block exams like at LLU? Are they all Multiple chioce, or is it a combo of MC and essay? Are there exams every month or so in all the classes at the same time? - I assume exam week means 4 or 5 tests in a week. Are all of the tests shelf exams or is that only in MS2?

Thanks so much

Howdy, here's another question:

What are the block exams like at LLU? Are they all Multiple chioce, or is it a combo of MC and essay? Are there exams every month or so in all the classes at the same time? - I assume exam week means 4 or 5 tests in a week. Are all of the tests shelf exams or is that only in MS2?

Thanks so much

Testing is basically done about twice a quarter, although medical school does not strictly follow the quarter system by classes (you will be billed tuition on the quarter and financial aid is awarded on the quarter, strictly). So that usually ends up being 4-5 tests in one week occuring every five weeks during the first two years. The basic science shelf exams are given usually as the final exam, but it's not unheard of to have an "in-house" final followed (in a few days) by the NBME basic science shelf for that subject. It's ALL multiple choice. You will not write an essay outside of a religion course.

By the way, thanks a million to everyone who answers these posted questions. It's nice to be a little in the know, you know?