Loma linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlnbtb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Loma Linda? I called and they said that I am being deferred as of now "whatever that means." Maybe it's because I am from out of state. If anyone knows anything, please share...

Members don't see this ad.

Loma Linda called me up for an interview about 1.5 weeks before the interview date of 1/27. I was sent an acceptance letter by email on 1/30. The dean stated during the interview that the school is highly selective in its potential candidates for interviews. Only 10 students were chosen for interviews on the day I was there. Good luck!

vsfan said:
Loma Linda called me up for an interview about 1.5 weeks before the interview date of 1/27. I was sent an acceptance letter by email on 1/30. The dean stated during the interview that the school is highly selective in its potential candidates for interviews. Only 10 students were chosen for interviews on the day I was there. Good luck!

what's ur gpa and major? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
steveysmith54 said:
what's ur gpa and major? Thanks.

Overall gpa = 3.79
Science gpa = 3.61

major = business/computer information systems

i wouldn't go strictly off gpa. i had a 3.2 cumulative. i did have some extracurricular activities and a decent personal statement that probably helped a lot.

vsfan-
when did u submit your application?

vitasoy said:
vsfan-
when did u submit your application?
I submitted the online app in late Sep. All of my transcripts and rec letters were not received by the admissions office until late Oct.

I actually called them last week and the guy who picked up the phone didn't ask me my name, all he asked was when did I apply (I said December) and he said to call him back in 2-3 weeks because they were still on September applications?????????? weird!

Anything new?

hey everyone. I got accepted to Loma Linda and just wanted to know what it's like to go there? Is it a fun school? Do you develop close frienships with your classmates?

I think the whole religious element kinda scares me a bit. If you guys have heard anything about the school from others students, etc. let me know.

Are u a CA resident?

coolpharmguy said:
hey everyone. I got accepted to Loma Linda and just wanted to know what it's like to go there? Is it a fun school? Do you develop close frienships with your classmates?

I think the whole religious element kinda scares me a bit. If you guys have heard anything about the school from others students, etc. let me know.
The religious element also scares me, so that's why I decided on going to USC. However, I have a friend who is a P1 at LLU right now and he said he has made many close friends since the class size is around 60. I just declined my acceptance offer to Loma Linda today, so there's an extra seat open now for those of you still waiting.

tlnbtb said:
Has anyone heard from Loma Linda? I called and they said that I am being deferred as of now "whatever that means." Maybe it's because I am from out of state. If anyone knows anything, please share...

im not a fan of loma linda. i turned in my application very early and i have to call them to get any type of answer...they said that your application is complete and that was it. in my application, i listed that im not a christian...

what a waste of money....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Another question: what do they do for fun at Loma Linda? Do people go to San Bernardino or Redlands a lot, or just stay on campus?

coolpharmguy said:
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Another question: what do they do for fun at Loma Linda? Do people go to San Bernardino or Redlands a lot, or just stay on campus?

I grew up in redlands so I can give you a little idea. Basically its fairly dead there, not much to do unless you go to riverside

I know a lot about Loma Linda, so if you guys who are considering going there have any questions, I would be the one to ask. I went to La Sierra University (in Riverside) for my undergrad, which is a sister school to Loma Linda. I'm still deciding where to go for pharm school but it seems that I'm leaning more towards USC than Loma Linda.

For those of you who aren't Christian or don't come from a religious background, I would suggest really evaluating how much you are willing to sacrifice. Taking religion classes is mandatory and you are required to go to church once (sometimes twice) a week. If you don't, you get placed on probation (I'm not kidding). I'm not Christian and having to go to church and take religion classes drove me insane.

There are advantages to going there though. The class size is very small. They're topping it off at 65 this year. If you're looking for an environment where you can have close relationships with your peers and your professors, this would be the place to go. The professors really do care about their students and would go the extra mile for them.

Community service is mandatory, so you're required to participate in a lot of these kinds of activities. There are a lot of organizations and I know the school will pay your membership dues for up to 5 organizations, although I think they may be cutting it down to 3.

Loma Linda is extremely unorganized, so if you do go there, expect a lot of delays and mess-ups to occur. They lost my transcipts several times and when they called me for my interview, they wanted to me to come in 30 minutes after they called me. What kind of a school does that? That really turned me off. I know they're just getting to September applications now, so if you applied like after November, don't expect them to contact you until March or after that. They're very slow. And you usually have to call and bug them A LOT.

I'm not an expert when it comes to the Loma Linda area, but I know it isn't that great. There's restaurants and shops and stuff, but that's pretty much it. It's close to the mountains, so I guess if you like to snowboard/ski, that's a plus during the winter.

Hope this helps.

blueclassring said:
i wouldn't go strictly off gpa. i had a 3.2 cumulative. i did have some extracurricular activities and a decent personal statement that probably helped a lot.

what was ur science gpa? is the cumulative given preference over science?

where have you been accepted?

my science gpa was around a 3.2 as well. i applied to 7 schools and was invited to interview for all of them. a good ps helps a lot.

blueclassring said:
my science gpa was around a 3.2 as well. i applied to 7 schools and was invited to interview for all of them. a good ps helps a lot.

Hi!

My GPA is also around 3.2 and am applying for FAll 07. Can anyone tell me what makes a good personal statement? I'm very worried b'c i only volunteeer at Loma Linda Hospital (since Jan 05) and will do a 10-week internship this summer. Is that enough? Please help!

Thanks

shoot your ps to me and i'll let you know if it has good potential to get there attention. note, this is very subjective.

Hey yall, for those who got interviewed at Loma Linda, I was wondering what questions did they ask you...I already looked through the interview forum and would like to know what questions have been asked for this year's applicants. My interview is on march 3rd and it's my only interview so some advice from those recently interviewed would be awesome! thanks!!!

I had my interview on December. Questions and format are the same as posted on the interview forum. First, a group of interviewed candidates will listen to several speakers to talk about the uniqueness about the school, accreditation status and pharmacy school accomplishments. One of the speakers will be the Dean, at the end of her introduction; she will ask if anybody have any question (this is a chance for you to shine, so I strongly recommended you should prepare some type of question to ask her). Second, 2-3 faculty members will interview you (in an office or conference room). This is an open file interview; they will have your file in front of them. First thing they ask you whether you have any question for them (be prepare to ask them questions). Then they will ask you why pharmacy (be sure to convince them what drive you to become a pharmacist), why Loma Linda? Tell us a bit about you. What you do for fun? Do you have any leadership experience? Do you have any pharmacy experience? What is your plan for the next 5-10 years?

Unfortunately I was on waitlisted (not rank yet), hope I can get in for fall 06. The admission office told me that they will tell my status somewhere in April.
So, my advice to you, prepare good question to ask the dean and the faculty members.

Good luck, hope you can get in.

Thanks Manapharm! That helped a lot. Was there an essay portion for Loma Linda? Also, can you tell me what positively impacted you about the school and what negatively impacted you about the school? Hey, i hope you get in in April. Wish you the best!!!

I interviewed at Loma Linda in January, and I think Manapharm pretty much covered everything for the interview. There was no essay portion. All the faculty, staff, and students at the school were quite friendly. I chose not to attend the school because I am not SDA, but they require all students to attend a weekly chapel session. Also, I'm not a big fan of the school only serving vegetarian food on campus.

Good luck with your interview. I'm sure you'll do fine.

they only serve veggie food on campus? what the heck!

shanepark said:
Yep, SDAs believe in living a healthy lifestyle, so they try to promote that lifestyle on campus by serving vegetarian food. IIRC, one of the administrators stated during the interview that the body is the temple of the lord.

vsfan said:
... I chose not to attend the school because I am not SDA, but they require all students to attend a weekly chapel session. Also, I'm not a big fan of the school only serving vegetarian food on campus.

:eek:
I am officially relieved that Loma Linda hasn't called for an interview.

Fill your Rx 26 said:
Wow....thats crazy
Believe it.

During my interview at Touro University, I was informed that they only served kosher food on campus, being a Jewish institution and all.

shanepark said:

You can warm up meat in the microwaves on campus, though. Also, there are about 20 fast food places that are 0.5 minutes away from Loma Linda's campus if you're craving a cafeteria style greasy burgers.

Just a question regarding attire. Do we have to wear suits?

shanepark said:
Just a question regarding attire. Do we have to wear suits?
I would HIGHLY recommend wearing a suit but at least wear a shirt and tie. This is a professional occupation, so your best bet is to dress professionally.

For those of you interviewed, How did you approach the question "Why Loma Linda?" Did you guys talk about the Christian aspect of the school? Some tips would be great. thanks.

For those of you interviewed, How did you approach the question "Why Loma Linda?" Did you guys talk about the Christian aspect of the school? Some tips would be great. thanks.

VSFAN, COOL PHARMGUY & BLUECLASSRING

What is your due date to send deposit to Loma Linda? I wish that I could take your spot! :laugh:

SHANEPARK,
Can you update information from the school after your 3/3/06 interview? How may spots are taken so far? how many people are they gonna interview? Any update information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

manapharm said:
What is your due date to send deposit to Loma Linda? I wish that I could take your spot! :laugh:
My due date was on 2/13, so the spot is now open for you to take! :thumbup:

Isn't it true that Loma Linda is really close to LA? So even if there is nothing to do in Loma Linda is it pretty easy to drive out to the city on the weekends?

OoShimmeroO said:
Also, I heard that they have ministers and special dogs that walk around campus and check people's backpacks for meat and caffeine containing products. If you're caught carrying these items you're assigned to do mandatory community service. If you get caught a lot you could potentially get kicked out the program. The "no meat and no caffeine" security staff also have the the nicest offices and furniture on campus. Oh yea, they have posters all over campus showing animals getting slaughtered for food to deter students from eating meat. Also, you can get in trouble if a security meat priest sees you eating meat near campus while u're wearing your Loma Linda ID badge because you're representing the school. CRazy...huh? :laugh:

WTF!!! Its a good thing i didn't apply there. Just the rumor of mandatory church service drove away my money and I. hahaha.. but a meat patrol, damn they really don't have anything better to invest money in??? or any other charity to support? It's a totalitarian!

Meat patrol? Those are rumors. I went to the interview today and they just don't promote eating meat. They're not going to punish you for it. It's just that you can't find it anywhere on campus. Manapharm: I heard that about half the positions have been filled already. There were 12 people for the interview when i went and they said that they are planning to interview more. I don't know how many more but im guessing around 2 to 4 since they interview about 2.75 students per seat available...(yea weird stats). Also, they said that if you're on the top 20 or so on the waitlist then you are likely to get accepted. they accepted everyone from the waitlist last year but this year they are planning to increase the waitlist so not everyone will get in. If you have any questions...ask just in case i forgot to tell you here. Good luck.

shanepark said:
Thanks Manapharm! That helped a lot. Was there an essay portion for Loma Linda? Also, can you tell me what positively impacted you about the school and what negatively impacted you about the school? Hey, i hope you get in in April. Wish you the best!!!

HAHA SHANE!!! GL TODAY you did GREAT!

Thanks for the update. If the school decided to accepted you, they will notify you by email on Monday. So, check your email on Monday. Good luck!

manapharm said:
Thanks for the update. If the school decided to accepted you, they will notify you by email on Monday. So, check your email on Monday. Good luck!

oh really, they said it's going to take at least 3 weeks. Now, I'm scared. Thanks anyways. lol

Ariana said:
Isn't it true that Loma Linda is really close to LA? So even if there is nothing to do in Loma Linda is it pretty easy to drive out to the city on the weekends?

Loma Linda is an hour away from La. I think it's like 56 miles or so. So if you don't mind the drive then sure La for the weekends would be awesome.

For those who got accepted, did they email you the acceptance like the following monday or did it take a couple of days.

does anyone know how many interviews they have left? Has anyone heard from them who applied in December?

does anyone know the stats for loma linda? like..how many ppl apply? how many get interviews and how many actually get in?
all i know is that they matriculate 65 students or so. :rolleyes:

ashin said:
does anyone know how many interviews they have left? Has anyone heard from them who applied in December?

yep, i applied in december. finally heard back from them last week! *whew*!

Someone told me that for pharmacy school, they aren't so concerned on whether you're a Seventh Day Adventist as much as they do for their med school during interviews.

I heard you had to wear suits and dresses as a sort of dress code at that school everyday, but I'm not sure.

And since it's SDA school, you're required to go to church on Saturdays. And yes, they have an all vegetarian diet. For some reason, the big no nos are shrimp and pork. I don't know why those specifically.

This is what I've been told by their medical school students and nursing students.