Long Island University: Pre-Pharm vs. Regular Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LZusman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know the difference between the two and their chances of getting in. Is it true that if you are a Pre-Pharm student you have a MUCH better chance of getting in?

Also if anyone here is in their 3rd year of LIU and was a Pre-Pharm can you list your grades and PCAT score.

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm, what do you mean by 'regular student'? Please clarify...

Members don't see this ad :)
By regular students i mean not PrePharm students, Everyone else, transfer students, even students with no majors in LIU applying for pharmacy at LIU.

From what I know with my experience at LIU, since they changed to PharmCAS, there really isn't a preference between LIU Pre-Pharm and outside students unless the applicants have similar stats.

That's good to know, I could have sworn I read LIU give preference to LIU students during the admission process. I have to check their website, again.

What is the interview process like at LIU? I am just NOW submitting my supplemental; do you guys think its a little late?

What is the interview process like at LIU? I am just NOW submitting my supplemental; do you guys think its a little late?

I dont think it too late. I believe the deadline for everything at LIU is first week of January. I recently gave LIU a call, the adcom panel looks over applications after the deadline according to what i was told. So, no rolling admissions. Go for it...you never know till you try, right?

I dont think it too late. I believe the deadline for everything at LIU is first week of January. I recently gave LIU a call, the adcom panel looks over applications after the deadline according to what i was told. So, no rolling admissions. Go for it...you never know till you try, right?

I'm so glad they dont have rolling admissions! I just submitted my online supplemental app! They waived the 30 fee; so I was happy. Does anyone here currently attend LIU? What is it like? Where do you live--student apartments?

Someone should tell LIU their online application and Brooklyn campus web interface look like they were created in 1998 in an intro to webpage design class. Other than that, I hear the school is ok, I am just doing the supplemental now :)

Someone should tell LIU their online application and Brooklyn campus web interface look like they were created in 1998 in an intro to webpage design class. Other than that, I hear the school is ok, I am just doing the supplemental now :)

I am totally hating on their webpage! haha

are transcripts to LIU due by January 5th as well?

From what I know with my experience at LIU, since they changed to PharmCAS, there really isn't a preference between LIU Pre-Pharm and outside students unless the applicants have similar stats.

As far as I know, and from overhearing conversations while at the department at LIU, this is false.

There is no way they are not going to favor someone who has given them 55k worth of tuition money over a person from a another college. Pre-pharmacy gets the priority before any transfer student.

I am currently a p3 student( first year professional student) at LIU . I transferred with a Bachelor's degree from a local college in NY. There are many transfer students in our class. According to pharmcas, it says 50 but I think there are definitely more. My friends and I who transferred from other institutions with or without a Bachelor's degree had probabaly over a 3.7 GPA and prob even higher( I had a 3.9 and 71 pcat). The students from LIU who get a conditional acceptance very often gets kicked out b4 the program starts because they dont meet the minimum GPA requirements before skool starts. I know other pple who didnt get in but because they had bad grades the first year and a half. They had C or D or failed classes and had to retake them. So I think LIU would take a student with a 3.8 GPA from another college as opposed to a student who has a 3.0 which I think is their minimum requirement.