LOR actual letter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeejeejiji

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this might sound like a stupid question...but do the people actually write a 'letter' for your LOR??
I spoke with two advisors yesterday and one was telling me that the people that write your LOR don't actually write a letter but they just fill out a evaluation sheet about the student (with some space to make comments about the student) and send that to your undergrad school committee and then one of the professors there write a letter and sends it to the dental schools and so that will be the only single 'letter'
Another advisor I spoke to was telling me something totally different. She explained that each individual person you ask for a LOR has to write a letter and not just a evaluation sheet, and they would have to mail that out to the dental schools. So I asked if that is the case, if I happened to apply to 20 schools, does that mean the people would have to write 20 letters and send every single one of them out? And she said that is exactly what they have to do.

The two are giving different info and I'm totally lost ???

Members don't see this ad.

You need to get the specifics of YOUR school's committee letter program. It varies at every school. Some schools just have evaluator forms that are compiled by a single person into a commmittee letter. Some schools don't have committee letters but will allow you to use a prehealth office as a filing system where all your individual letters of rec are stored until they are sent out to AADSAS. Still other schools will have both options available.

this might sound like a stupid question...but do the people actually write a 'letter' for your LOR??
I spoke with two advisors yesterday and one was telling me that the people that write your LOR don't actually write a letter but they just fill out a evaluation sheet about the student (with some space to make comments about the student) and send that to your undergrad school committee and then one of the professors there write a letter and sends it to the dental schools and so that will be the only single 'letter'
Another advisor I spoke to was telling me something totally different. She explained that each individual person you ask for a LOR has to write a letter and not just a evaluation sheet, and they would have to mail that out to the dental schools. So I asked if that is the case, if I happened to apply to 20 schools, does that mean the people would have to write 20 letters and send every single one of them out? And she said that is exactly what they have to do.

you ask 3 or 4 professors to write you letters, and then you have them send one copy to AADSAS, who in turn will make copies and send them to the school.

or you could give each professor 20 envelopes so they can send a copy to each school...whatever floats your boat

at my school the teachers have to fill out both an evaluation sheet and write a letter... i would ask about how the process works at your school... I would imagine that they have some kind of manual or brochure of how it works... you might want to get your hands on this, since every school is different.
-ld