May 16, 2020
Hi! This is my first post on SDN but could really use some advice on this issue.
So I have a letter situation:
I attended CC and and a 4 year. Got a science LOR from a professor who taught me, and a science LOR from a prof I TAed for (never taught me a graded course).

I also got a LOR from a part time science prof (yes they have a PhD) at CC.

Assuming both letters are similar to quality should I go with the science LOR from CC you who taught me in a class or a science LOR from a 4 year who didn’t teach me (only TAed for).

Please give me any advice, anecdotes, etc.


7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2013
  1. Medical Student
CC vs 4 year doesn't matter for LOR unless we're talking about applying MD/PhD where a professor's name might carry weight in a certain field of study.

Most schools want science LORs from professors you have taken a class with, but it's also important that the letter writer knows you well. Go ahead and get both. Two of my science professor letters were CC professors, no issue.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads