LOR Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twirler7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:help:I had my core OB/GYN rotation in February. My doctor still hadn't completed my evaluation (not to mention getting around to my LOR) as of mid-May. I talked with our clinical coordinator and she said she would "get to it". Since then, it has come to her knowledge that he has left his practice and no one is quite certain where he is. I know while I was there that neither of his partners nor the midwives cared for him much. I didn't spend much time with him (as there were seven midwives in the practice doing almost all the uncomplicated deliveries and his partners did most of the surgeries). I worked with his partners a little, but I always felt like a nuisance as they weren't even supposed to be in charge of me.

So I am interested in matching into OB/GYN and I have a GynOnc rotation scheduled for July. I hope to get a good LOR from that doctor. However, I am on Cardiology now and have August as a study month for Step II. Applications start Sept 1. I would like to apply early, but I won't have another OB/GYN rotation to get another LOR. I have a few options that I have thought about.

1. I have the Dr in questions cell number - should I call him and ask about the LOR (or is that a big enough risk since his partners weren't fond of him and likely there are plenty of others).

2. Attempt to contact another OB/GYN and do some extra weekend work to get a LOR? (We don't have a staff OB at my school, so I would just be hitting the phone book).

3. Just wait and get a LOR from my September rotation?

Any other options that I failed to see?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

First I would ask the CNM to fill out your rotation LOR I would give them the buzzwords and letter of recommendation page from Eriksons getting into residency.

Second I would get a good LOR not that this doc couldn't or wouldn't give you one but one from an OB/GYN who may be active and publishing in the field. It sounds like you are in the PGY3 year. This means as of July ERAS will be open and you need to get those letters fast! You also need to do some rotations in an OB program of your choice!!!! this helps tremendously

Thus I would do this.

Call your OB/GYN on the phone express your strong desire become an Obstetrician and thank him for his help! Ask if he would be willing to write a letter to help in your ERAS application. Get his address and tell him you will be mailing him a stamped addressed envelope to go to your program chair. (I would do this as priority mail and also include a card of thanks with this as well as the Eriksons guide page you gave the midwives)

Believe me the Eriksons book getting into residency is worth its weight in gold. Everyone one of my LOR writers used its format and they appreciated it as they could choose and decide what content to put in their letters.

PM me your location I may know of a mentor in your area

Good luck

Diane