Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm not applying until next cycle (2018 entering class), but I am going to start asking for LORs now so I can stay ahead of the game. I met with my pre-med adviser (who is awesome and extremely helpful) and he said I need to get 7 LORs (8 if I'm applying DO) and then he will write me a composite letter. He was quite specific and said I needed letters from a science professor (1), any other professor (2), a research mentor (3), a volunteer supervisor (4), someone who observed me in a leadership role (5), someone who supervised me in a patient exposure role (6), an MD (7), and a DO (8).

I am wondering how beneficial it is to have 8 LORs and a composite letter. How would adcoms view so many letters, would they even read them all??

How many letters did you all submit this year when you applied? Did you have a composite letter as well?

Thanks!

ecpresso

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
LOL Your premed adviser is insane. You don't need all those letters, but I would play it safe with a minimum of 2 professors (at least 1 science) and 1 MD/DO physician (DO preferred if you're going DO). Some schools require a letter from a premed committee, but I don't think this really benefits/harms you because some schools don't have premed committees.

Go for quality, not quantity. You want people who can speak to your character using specific examples.

OP
Johnny Appleseed
Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
LOL Your premed adviser is insane. You don't need all those letters, but I would play it safe with a minimum of 2 professors (at least 1 science) and 1 MD/DO physician (DO preferred if you're going DO). Some schools require a letter from a premed committee, but I don't think this really benefits/harms you because some schools don't have premed committees.

Go for quality, not quantity. You want people who can speak to your character using specific examples.
Okay, if I do go the route of getting all the letters is there anyway to highlight the top three or anything like that?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile