LOR from "Hard Science" professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yhorm the Giant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be asking professors this week for letters of rec. I'll be asking these three professors who taught me in these courses:
Prof 1: Advanced human anatomy
Prof 2: Kinesiology and also biomechanics
Prof 3: Exercise physiology and also advanced sports nutrition.
Would Prof 2 and Prof 3 fulfill the requirements alone for the schools who want the science courses? I would prefer Prof 1 to write a letter more directed at my 500 hours unpaid tutoring in the gross and advanced anatomy labs, and not so much on the grade he gave me in a course. I got an A in his and the other 4 courses, so that's not an issue. I just think a letter from a DO, pre-med advisor, 2 professors who taught me and 1 prof who I did sort of volunteering hours with would be a good combo. I DID do a thorough search through other threads, and sometimes people felt like the kinesiology and biomechanics class wouldn't count towards a science professor, but maybe that was just MD programs. I did talk to an adcom member at rocky vista and she said the kinesiology one would count towards a science, but I don't know if that is for everyone. The feeling I get is that it would be fine, I'm more curious if anyone knows for sure that Prof 2 would NOT work for science?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm going to be asking professors this week for letters of rec. I'll be asking these three professors who taught me in these courses:
Would Prof 2 and Prof 3 fulfill the requirements alone for the schools who want the science courses? I would prefer Prof 1 to write a letter more directed at my 500 hours unpaid tutoring in the gross and advanced anatomy labs, and not so much on the grade he gave me in a course. I got an A in his and the other 4 courses, so that's not an issue. I just think a letter from a DO, pre-med advisor, 2 professors who taught me and 1 prof who I did sort of volunteering hours with would be a good combo. I DID do a thorough search through other threads, and sometimes people felt like the kinesiology and biomechanics class wouldn't count towards a science professor, but maybe that was just MD programs. I did talk to an adcom member at rocky vista and she said the kinesiology one would count towards a science, but I don't know if that is for everyone. The feeling I get is that it would be fine, I'm more curious if anyone knows for sure that Prof 2 would NOT work for science?

I just emailed PNWU about something very similar to this. I'll copy and paste the convo:

ME: I had a few questions regarding the Letter of Recommendation requirement.
1) Would an Exercise Science professor be considered a "science professor?" I know this may be intuitive, but I just wanted to double-check.

PNWU: Thanks for your email. In response to your questions, we would count exercise science as a science professor letter, but be advised that it may not be viewed as strongly as if you had a letter from a hard science professor such as chemistry or physics.

If I remember correctly, I think Kines/Ex. Science is considered "science" for DO schools, but not MD. If you want concrete evidence, you will probably have to contact each school as some schools may have different interpretations. My assumption is that most, if not all, DO schools will consider these classes/professors under the "science" category. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
2 and 3 are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, that helps for sure! Not that I think it would matter, but my advanced anatomy teacher also has a masters degree, not a phd, and I don't know how much they care about qualifications like that. I assume not too much, but looks like I don't have to worry about it. Thanks!

Thanks guys, that helps for sure! Not that I think it would matter, but my advanced anatomy teacher also has a masters degree, not a phd, and I don't know how much they care about qualifications like that. I assume not too much, but looks like I don't have to worry about it. Thanks!

3*60,000 applicants is 180,000 qualifications checks done by adcomms. I think not. Besides, if PhD missing from name adcomm folks will likely assume no PhD l. Not sure they care to begin with.

I've researched this question extensively on SDN as two of my letters are written by teachers with a Masters degree. I haven't seen one case where this has been an issue.

Disclaimer: Long, slightly neurotic post, main point is in its own sentence at the end.

Thanks Coltuna, I was thinking the same thing!
So, I don't want to start a new thread on this, but I'm getting a bit worried about my letter. After talking to my premed advisor I'm going to apply to a few MD schools that have holistic reviews of applicants (depending on how my MCAT goes in June), so what counts as science or not has just got a little trickier.
-Kinesiology/Biomechanics professor- he's going to write me a really great letter, don't think it'll count science for MD
-Another professor- intro to exercise science (very little science in it), exercise physiology lab and my research class- he's writing me a great letter, but I don't know if he'd be counted as a science teacher for MD or DO
Anatomy professor-I asked him, he said yes, he totally forgot, he's a gruff man so I've got to remind him but I figure I'll call him when finals are over, but I'll be able to get it
-Exercise physiology professor-course is cross-listed as zoology, so I think it would count for MD science professor, I haven't been able to get ahold of him and I was kinda counting on him for another science professor. I tried to find him in his office for like 3 weeks, no go. He's doing some really cool research on testing muscle glycogen levels using ultrasounds in basketball players, so he's in the exercise phys lab a lot, still can't find him there. After weeks I finally decided to e-mail him, though I really, really wanted to ask in person, but we have a really good relationship after taking 2 classes from him and spending 4 days travelling to an acsm conference 12 hours away in a van and back, we know each other. He never e-mailed me back, which I know he saw because he was great about it when I was in his class and it's been 5 days since I e-mailed. Classes got over Friday, making it harder to find him, but I will see him at graduation, so we will see.
-I asked a DO last week for a letter and he was really cool about it and I assume it will be good. Only shadowed him for 12 hours so far but he wants me to shadow him more this summer.

---- Main Question: My backup science teacher letter is my Gen Chem 1 professor from like 2 years ago. She was really nice, just got her masters in chemistry, I aced her class and got in the 98% percentile on the ACS final. We didn't talk very much but I'm sure she'd remember me. Problem is, she doesn't teach here anymore. Or anywhere. She's being a stay at home mom for a bit. My friend who was in the class with me got a letter from her and though it might be lukewarm, it is better than nothing, considering I should have a couple really strong other letters. She just had a baby like a month ago, so for one I feel bad bothering her, but my more logistical question is how could she write anything on official letterhead? Would it even be worth reaching out to her or should I start looking for some other hail-mary lower quality letter?