LOR from University vs Community College Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aelerby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, avid reader of Student Doctor Network, but first time, forum poster. I graduate college back in 2012. I spent some time in higher education, after being denied to medical school. I decided to apply to physical therapy school last year. I am retaking both gen Chemistry and gen Biology at community college. I still have LORs from my professors at my university, but having took those class over four years ago. Should I use a LOR from my CC professor? Or use my old LORs, because they are from upper-level science courses (Neuroscience and Physics)?

Members don't see this ad.

If you think the LORs you got from undergrad are high quality (i.e. speak highly of your qualities, and give experiential evidence of those qualities), I would keep those over asking for new ones. If they seem generic at all, consider asking your CC professors. I'm assuming here that you have hard or soft copies of them. If I'm wrong, please ignore lol

In the LOR game, it's more about quality of endorsement than it is about what kind of professor writes it for you (4 year university vs CC, or upper-division vs lower). Or at least that's been my impression attending information sessions. Do keep in mind though that if you plan to apply through PTCAS, the professor/PT/etc has to submit their LOR for you entirely online. So if you decide to go with the former LORs, you have to get back in touch with them and ask if they could submit it.

I hope this is helpful!

Hi, avid reader of Student Doctor Network, but first time, forum poster. I graduate college back in 2012. I spent some time in higher education, after being denied to medical school. I decided to apply to physical therapy school last year. I am retaking both gen Chemistry and gen Biology at community college. I still have LORs from my professors at my university, but having took those class over four years ago. Should I use a LOR from my CC professor? Or use my old LORs, because they are from upper-level science courses (Neuroscience and Physics)?

If you're applying via PTCAS (which most school utilize) they have electronic LOR's so a paper copy may be difficult to translate (you may be able to mail it in if it is signed/sealed still but not 100% sure on PTCAS's policy on this), I would contact old references to make sure all the information they put in is still current, you could try asking them to write another one...but 4 years is a long time. From what I remember on PTCAS you enter in the email for the person you want to write a reference and then it is sent to them via an email to fill out for you.

Personally I would use a newer reference that shows your current status. You should have LOR from PTs as well, and if I remember correctly PTCAS lets you have 4 references on file but most schools only look at 2-3 of them, one from a professor, 1-2 from PTs and then a personal reference.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good question. I would encourage you to use recent LORs. Use of old LORs may suggest that you are not a serious applicant and aren't serious about putting your best, and most recent, foot forward. LORs are important, however, they don't move the needle much unless they are bad, or outdated. The LOR should speak to the character and potential of the individual, and less so to the source. So it really doesn't matter much to me where the letter came from (ie, which course), what matters is that it is a recent indicator of your character and potential for higher education. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I also vote newer references unless you've kept a relationship current with the old ones. Remember, the references should be personal....choose people who know you well and your passion for physical therapy.