LOR mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoolioStringCheese

Reaction score
Hellloo respected SDN community-- so I realized I made a dumbbbb mistake; even though I swear I feel that I attached the right one (ERAS glitch??)--regardless, the code matching the LOR attached is one I had imported from a prior cycle (10/2020), and I have a new one from that doctor (I'm a non-traditional, older reapplicant, and that's my MAIN letter for psych). I have one more for psych, but the doc never responded to update it, so its still 2020. The other two I would have attached would have been an IM, and Peds letter, both updated for this year and directed toward psych....I'm confused if I should upload both the old and new, by the same writer (otherwise I won't have a 2022 for the specialty) and sacrifice one, either IM or peds (2022 directed towards psych), or leave both 2020 psychs, and upload both updated IM/peds writers ones...feel like a dummy, any advice is appreciated! i was gonna call ERAS and try my luck w them but there doesn't seem anyway to unassign, or send now :-/

Members don't see this ad.

Call ERAS and see what they say.

It is getting to be quite late in the cycle, so if you have not yet submitted and you don’t have luck with ERAS tomorrow I would probably just leave the letter as is and might manually email the updated letter to each school. I would not put two versions of the same letter in ERAS, it would just look weird, confuse programs, and make you stand out in a bad way.

Call ERAS and see what they say.

It is getting to be quite late in the cycle, so if you have not yet submitted and you don’t have luck with ERAS tomorrow I would probably just leave the letter as is and might manually email the updated letter to each school. I would not put two versions of the same letter in ERAS, it would just look weird, confuse programs, and make you stand out in a bad way.
thanks for your advice! I appreciate it...w the LOR thing, it just sucks cuz that's my ONE specialty letter that got updated, I'm going thru all the individual sites and seeing where it says "dated within the past year" and where it doesn't....what do you think of attaching both to where it has the requirement of dated within the past year, and leaving it out for the others (if ERAS isn't helpful, which is most likely)...or would you still try your luck w keeping it the way it is, and just emailing the letter, using it as behind an interest email... btw, just a side note: the letter writer is really proper and I waived being able to see it, so idk what it says, but I noticed when I asked her to upload it (as she was kind enough to upload versions for other specialties)--the psych one got uploaded last, and a whole week later from the others which all uploaded all together...that makes me think its actually different (cuz I told her she was my inspiration for doing psych which was authentic and she noticed I hadn't gotten in yet so she revamped it...or at the least, added a cpl lines like "he has continued to stay in touch and reconfirmed his desire for this specialty or something like that)...idk if that changes your opinion pertaining to the earlier thing, about the "dated within last year" requirement, and attaching both? I'm gonna try my luck w ERAS first...thank incredibly for your time, its appreciated and sorry for the inconvenience/lengthy tale :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of whether a program says within the last year, you want a letter from this year if possible

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, this may take you sending to all your programs.

Back when I applied (to about 80 programs) I and one of my letter writers figured out around this time (way after submission) that he had mentioned the incorrect specialty in his letter. We uploaded a corrected letter and I contacted all the PCs to let them know. It didn't seem to affect my return on invites.

I would have the most recent one updated/uploaded. If it's the one the programs haven't seen yet, contact them individually with the new information.

Reactions: 1 user