LOR Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCDEMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like some SDN thoughts on this.

My application should be verified in the next week or so and I'm starting to prepare for my secondaries. I have all of my letters of recommendation, except one.

I went to this professor in May. We met in person, at his office. It went well. He spoke with me for about an hour and graciously offered to write me a recommendation. The only weird question I ever received during my interview was "Why medical school?" It wasn't in the, "Why is medicine interesting to you?" tone, but more like "Why not nursing school or PA school?"

Other than that brief 1-2 minute excursion, the meeting went well. Problem? It's now September and I still haven't received the letter. I've sent numerous gentle emails over the summer and always received, "I'm so sorry...it's on the way." Or some variation of this. Each time he was more and more convincing that it was coming. I called recently and was able to get him on the phone, at his office. He apologized and stated he was "So busy, but I'll have it out by this weekend." There was a hint of frustration in his voice, which sent off some alarms for me.

No letter. Should I move on? This was a science professor and would have constituted one of my required two letters for several DO schools. Also, I really admired and appreciated this professor. I did well in his class and it was fairly transformative in my education. I have other science professors that I can go to, but none were as meaningful to me as this LOR. I'm disappointed. I can't tell at this point if I'm being screwed with or if this is just pure forgetfulness. I spoke with another professor (someone I can trust in confidence) that stated he is notorious for taking on too much work, but couldn't imagine him being so busy as to not be able to write a LOR after 3 months.

My concern is doubled now. I'll have to give the next professor at least a 3 week time frame to get the letter, assuming no delays. My secondaries to those schools will be significantly delayed. Very frustrated, but mostly disappointed. There are certain people you come to look up to, the adults in the room, and you get let down when you realize they're just as human as you are. Every other professor or letter writer had something submitted within 3-4 weeks, max.

Members don't see this ad.

why don't you explain you need it within X time because applications are going out and the schools need the letter? my school did a LoR workshop to all students who wanted to use their letter service. they told us to always give a deadline to the writer. people work better with deadlines.

Deadline or not, the Professor's behavior has made it quite clear that he's unrealiable, so it's time to move on and try your next favorite Professor.

Oh, "Why medical school?" is a perfectly good question, and you'll probably hear it during interviews.

I'd like some SDN thoughts on this.

My application should be verified in the next week or so and I'm starting to prepare for my secondaries. I have all of my letters of recommendation, except one.

I went to this professor in May. We met in person, at his office. It went well. He spoke with me for about an hour and graciously offered to write me a recommendation. The only weird question I ever received during my interview was "Why medical school?" It wasn't in the, "Why is medicine interesting to you?" tone, but more like "Why not nursing school or PA school?"

Other than that brief 1-2 minute excursion, the meeting went well. Problem? It's now September and I still haven't received the letter. I've sent numerous gentle emails over the summer and always received, "I'm so sorry...it's on the way." Or some variation of this. Each time he was more and more convincing that it was coming. I called recently and was able to get him on the phone, at his office. He apologized and stated he was "So busy, but I'll have it out by this weekend." There was a hint of frustration in his voice, which sent off some alarms for me.

No letter. Should I move on? This was a science professor and would have constituted one of my required two letters for several DO schools. Also, I really admired and appreciated this professor. I did well in his class and it was fairly transformative in my education. I have other science professors that I can go to, but none were as meaningful to me as this LOR. I'm disappointed. I can't tell at this point if I'm being screwed with or if this is just pure forgetfulness. I spoke with another professor (someone I can trust in confidence) that stated he is notorious for taking on too much work, but couldn't imagine him being so busy as to not be able to write a LOR after 3 months.

My concern is doubled now. I'll have to give the next professor at least a 3 week time frame to get the letter, assuming no delays. My secondaries to those schools will be significantly delayed. Very frustrated, but mostly disappointed. There are certain people you come to look up to, the adults in the room, and you get let down when you realize they're just as human as you are. Every other professor or letter writer had something submitted within 3-4 weeks, max.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deadline or not, the Professor's behavior has made it quite clear that he's unrealiable, so it's time to move on and try your next favorite Professor.

Oh, "Why medical school?" is a perfectly good question, and you'll probably hear it during interviews.

Goro, thank you for the reply. Also, thanks for the advice on my "What Are My Chances" thread a few weeks ago. Gave my wife and I some confidence to keep pushing on.

I definitely expected the "Why medical school" question. It was asked by other writers, but his tone came off as uniquely...weird... and he emphasized my non-traditional applicant status. I didn't put a lot of stock in it, which is why I didn't elaborate too much.

As for chiddler: Yes, he did have a deadline. Mid-June, which if I remember correctly, I defined as no later than June 15th. During the phone call I also emphasized the need for the LOR due to secondaries. I'm not a person to beat around the bush, as I've come to learn that most professors (aka professional adults) appreciate that. I was polite and professional but firm in the fact that I need it like yesterday.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion. I find that if the gentle emails do not produce results, I usually end up writing something like this.....

Hello Dr. Whatever,
I just wanted to check in with you once again and thank you for agreeing to write a letter on my behalf. I understand you are a very busy man/woman, and I completely understand if you are no longer able to provide a recommendation. The deadline is fast approaching, and as you know, it is highly recommended to submit secondary application materials as early as possible due to the competitive nature of the process. If you are still able to write on my behalf, I am happy to facilitate the process in any way I can. If you are unable, I would appreciate if you would let me know asap so I will know what actions I must take. I thank you in advance for all of your assistance in this matter.

Best regards

It is still very polite but basically says "can you do it or not because im sick of waiting"

It has produced quick results for me everytime. Good luck :)