LOR question: AMCAS letter ID#

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this is probably a dumb question but I've spent too long fruitlessly Googling.
I'm trying to officially request LORs from my letter writers today. So we need two numbers with our LOR's: AMCAS ID and AMCAS Letter ID. The first one is obvious, but how do I get the second? My general sense of what I've read is that we somehow generate it in our application (so not until May). I'm using Interfolio so I don't need these two numbers yet because I can assign them later, right? My main concern is that I want to make sure there isn't anything my letter writers need to do other than to click the email link from Interfolio and submit.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The Letter ID is generated once you enter your LOR writers into your application. That's when the system generates the letter ID and letter request form.

Edit to Add: I think in Interfolio I only had to enter the Letter ID once I sent the letters off to AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply.

letter request form

What is this? A form generated by AMCAS to request a letter from someone? A form I have to fill out? A form my LOR writer has to fill out?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is this? A form generated by AMCAS to request a letter from someone? A form I have to fill out? A form my LOR writer has to fill out?

It auto-generates in AMCAS based on the information you enter for your letter writers. It's a document that you can print and give to them with instructions for the adviser on how to submit. None of my LOR writers needed the form for Interfolio, they just need to put your AMCAS ID on the LOR itself.

Reactions: 1 user
It auto-generates in AMCAS based on the information you enter for your letter writers. It's a document that you can print and give to them with instructions for the adviser on how to submit. None of my LOR writers needed the form for Interfolio, they just need to put your AMCAS ID on the LOR itself.
Ok, thank you!

I have a correction to add to this: According to both the AAMC letter website and the Interfolio website, there is no mention of the AAMC ID needing to be on the letter itself. It is either on the LOR request form (if traditional LOR) or it is associated with your Interfolio submission.

Reactions: 1 user