LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barkster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some advice. I just received my grade for my OB-GYN clerkship, and it had some really favorable comments. My question is how valuable would a strong letter from the clerkship director in OB-GYN be to my anesthesiology application?

Thanks for your help. I tried doing a search, but I couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can submit up to 4 letters. If your attending had some great things to say then by all means submit it.

One of my letters came from my OB/GYN rotation, and two from internal medicine. Things worked out okay. Just make sure you have a letter from your Anesthesiology department as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
kinda related to this topic--is mid-december too late to submit an LOR from an away elective done in november (I assume it would be too late to help get more interviews, but would it help with rank position?).

I will have anes letters from my home department before then so there will be letters in time for completion of my ERAS app, i'm just wondering whether my away anes elective in nov can serve in getting a LOR too, in time to be beneficial.

chicamedica said:
kinda related to this topic--is mid-december too late to submit an LOR from an away elective done in november (I assume it would be too late to help get more interviews, but would it help with rank position?).

I will have anes letters from my home department before then so there will be letters in time for completion of my ERAS app, i'm just wondering whether my away anes elective in nov can serve in getting a LOR too, in time to be beneficial.

Past Oct its probably too late in the game to be newly submitted letters to count for much.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

LORs that late are not as effective most likely, as said before, but..

I was told that each time you submit a new document to ERAS, it generates/prints out a physical copy to be added to each location's file on you. So, it does get looked at.

I would start asking for LORs midway into your third year.

Hey Timothy, how do you like OU? Mind if I ask what other programs you liked?

OU has been great so far..almost done with intern year..getting ready to be CA-1 in July..My intern buddies and I are anxious to get started becoming anesthesiologists!

Feel free to PM if you have any more specific questions.

timtye78 said:
I would start asking for LORs midway into your third year.

Weeeeeelll, too late for me. . .anyway there was no way anyone could know me well enough from 3rd year to write an LOR (at least not what i'd consider well enough). I hear the 4th year anes elective is where we get our main letters from. Are letters from research PIs ok to submit too? (2 of them are MDs)

chicamedica said:

Just to let you know, some programs may require all application material to be in before you are allowed to interview. I believe UCLA is one of those programs...

bababuey said:
Just to let you know, some programs may require all application material to be in before you are allowed to interview. I believe UCLA is one of those programs...

Yeah i pretty much figured that. But all my application materials WILL be in (I will have anes letters from my own school's dept). This LOR from the away, i'd only think of submitting it as a supporting document. Or, will ERAS not let me scan it in? Or, will programs just not download the new stuff? I suppose i could just have the letter mailed or faxed directly to my top choices or something.

chicamedica said:
Weeeeeelll, too late for me. . .anyway there was no way anyone could know me well enough from 3rd year to write an LOR (at least not what i'd consider well enough). I hear the 4th year anes elective is where we get our main letters from. Are letters from research PIs ok to submit too? (2 of them are MDs)

Nothing is absolute. You just do your best, make decisions and press on.
Acutally, in the past I started a thread entitled "How to get great LOR". Besides the flame war that entailed regarding LOR 'etiquette' (sp?), one thing I generally recommend is asking for letters from virtually every doc you have worked with, and I think the closer you ask to the time you rotated with them the better. You never know who is going to 'rock your world' with an awesome letter. Obviously titles/chair of departments etc carry more clout-use the best letters you get. I am sorry I don't know what "PI" is. If you meant a research faculty member with an MD/PhD or whatever, I think it depends more on what you are applying for. I would list my research and references separately unless you are applying for a research-heavy specialty or are headed to a research-career. If your application is considered incomplete in the heat of interview season, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't submit something otherwise they won't look at the app seriously.

One bit of advice I did recently hear recently was to set up a anesthesiology rotation, for example, at a very 'prestigious' location and try to get a letter from someone with stature, possibly even national recognition. Thereby increasing your odds everywhere including the same location. I never tried this because I didn't even hear about it until too late. Also, my rotations were relatively too late in the game to even consider trying to get a letter from someone like this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Good luck!

timtye78 said:
Nothing is absolute. You just do your best, make decisions and press on.
Acutally, in the past I started a thread entitled "How to get great LOR". Besides the flame war that entailed regarding LOR 'etiquette' (sp?), one thing I generally recommend is asking for letters from virtually every doc you have worked with, and I think the closer you ask to the time you rotated with them the better. You never know who is going to 'rock your world' with an awesome letter. Obviously titles/chair of departments etc carry more clout-use the best letters you get. I am sorry I don't know what "PI" is. If you meant a research faculty member with an MD/PhD or whatever, I think it depends more on what you are applying for. I would list my research and references separately unless you are applying for a research-heavy specialty or are headed to a research-career. If your application is considered incomplete in the heat of interview season, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't submit something otherwise they won't look at the app seriously.

One bit of advice I did recently hear recently was to set up a anesthesiology rotation, for example, at a very 'prestigious' location and try to get a letter from someone with stature, possibly even national recognition. Thereby increasing your odds everywhere including the same location. I never tried this because I didn't even hear about it until too late. Also, my rotations were relatively too late in the game to even consider trying to get a letter from someone like this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Good luck!

Ok so, to reiterate. . .my application WILL be complete before i do the away anes elective, b/c I am also doing an anes elective at my own school and will get letters from there BEFORE interview season. Yes, and PI is the head guy of the research i'm working on. I am headed for a research career.

The away elective i'm doing is basically for the purpose you stated in that last paragraph. I'm just not sure whether November is too late for such a purpose, or as long as it's before rank lists are made it'll still help. . .

If you get a better letter, even late, go ahead and submit it. You are on the right track!