LOR writer said no - now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJDental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Im a bio major and I asked my biology professor (who is also my advisor so I know him more than any other prof so far) to write my LOR and he said no, because I received 'only' a C+ in his class.

Besides the pre-health advisor and two dentists, now Im stuck on who else to ask? I was really counting on him because he actually knows me, im not just a number to him, so I am kind of hurt he said no, but at the same time I think he just feels like I should ask a professor with which I got an A because it will be a stronger LOR (but not really bc they don't know me)

soo lost....

Members don't see this ad.

I would go and ask the professor you got the A from. Maybe he doesnt know you as well but apparently that does not matter to some professors. I actually did that to a professor I had never talked to before and asked for a letter, I had received an A in his class and that was basically all he watned to know. But I did ask him if he would write me a good letter and if he didnt feel comfortable with that to let me know.

Who knows, at this point it seems like it is your only choice. What do you have to loose?

Ouch... I had the same thing happen to me. When i transfered from CC to a University I only had limited time to meet professors. 1 of the one's I did really well in her class and knew me well said no. She didn't have time... but i had no one else.

That summer I did some research for credit.. within a week of meeting him, i told him my situation. He was more than willing to help me out with a good LOR.

I hope you can find a professor who will be willing to help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go and ask the professor you got the A from. Maybe he doesnt know you as well but apparently that does not matter to some professors. I actually did that to a professor I had never talked to before and asked for a letter, I had received an A in his class and that was basically all he watned to know. But I did ask him if he would write me a good letter and if he didnt feel comfortable with that to let me know.

Who knows, at this point it seems like it is your only choice. What do you have to loose?

I did the same thing. The professor didn't remember me, but she teaches huge lectures so she said she understood. Make an appointment with them to ask, and then sit down and tell them about yourself.

I have the somewhat the same problem. I need one more lor from a science professor. Most of them i do not know very well or well at all. Right now I am taking ecology and genetics and I want a letter from either of them. However, they are not going too well because they are hard as !@#$. sigh...

So Im a bio major and I asked my biology professor (who is also my advisor so I know him more than any other prof so far) to write my LOR and he said no, because I received 'only' a C+ in his class.

Besides the pre-health advisor and two dentists, now Im stuck on who else to ask? I was really counting on him because he actually knows me, im not just a number to him, so I am kind of hurt he said no, but at the same time I think he just feels like I should ask a professor with which I got an A because it will be a stronger LOR (but not really bc they don't know me)

soo lost....

Why ask for a LOR from a professor that you did badly for?
You want him/her to tell D-schools how "well" you did?
Ask anyone else.

soo lost....

The thing is, the prof. probably refused because he felt like he couldn't write you a strong enough LOR.

In your case, I think a generic LOR from other bio classes that you did well should do the trick. Or you can always try to get to know more professors.

at least the prof declined rather than writing a mediocre letter. He seemed to be pretty honest about it.

at least the prof declined rather than writing a mediocre letter. He seemed to be pretty honest about it.

I agree.... they probably did you a favor by saying no.

Tough break, but for the better. In physio in undergrad, my friend and I went together to ask the professor for letters of rec for grad school (both MS programs). The professor said he required at least a B- in his class to consider writing letters of recommendation for ANYONE. He told me yes and then continued to tell my friend no, right in front of me. In hindsight, probably wasn't the best move to go together... but hey, I was young and stupid...and things were awkward for only a short time.

We moved on... me... I'll graduate from dental school (God willing in 3 yrs)... the girl without the letter of rec... she is graduating from medical school this year! Trust that good things will happen.

I really didn't know my science professors I got Letters from. Classes are just too big at my school and I'm not the type to go to office hours every day. I just asked for letters from 2 professors that I received A's in their classes. They were more than happy to do it for me. I'm sure they weren't great letters, but they were good enough to get me an acceptance. Thank goodness I don't have to do that again. (Getting letters was the worst part of the whole application experience.)

thanks for all the advice - i think you guys are right - he was very honest and most likely did do me a favor by not writing a mediocre letter.

The classes that I aced were a lot of general ed requirements like religion, writing, english, art...granted I did do well in some bio classes but I guess I just felt weird asking them when they were lecture hall classes (huge) so I didn't know the professor at all.

Yea I am still taking classes right now it just seems like I don't have much time to get to know a professor enough to ask them to write the LOR - but oh well Im just going to do it anyway! I gotta do what I gotta do, and you guys are right, I don't have anything to lose.

Any other suggestions besides sciences profs and dentists? I was thinking of my highschool art/pottery teacher..would that be weird/not good enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for all the advice - i think you guys are right - he was very honest and most likely did do me a favor by not writing a mediocre letter.

The classes that I aced were a lot of general ed requirements like religion, writing, english, art...granted I did do well in some bio classes but I guess I just felt weird asking them when they were lecture hall classes (huge) so I didn't know the professor at all.

Yea I am still taking classes right now it just seems like I don't have much time to get to know a professor enough to ask them to write the LOR - but oh well Im just going to do it anyway! I gotta do what I gotta do, and you guys are right, I don't have anything to lose.

Any other suggestions besides sciences profs and dentists? I was thinking of my highschool art/pottery teacher..would that be weird/not good enough?

i dont think the dental schools want to see anything from high school........

i dont think the dental schools want to see anything from high school........

Hmmm really? Yea I wasn't too sure about that, it seemed like a touchy thing, like some schools wouldn't mind and others don't want to see that...

Hmmm really? Yea I wasn't too sure about that, it seemed like a touchy thing, like some schools wouldn't mind and others don't want to see that...

i was thinking about this too when i applied because i was wondering if i can put my ECs i did in high school. like track, band, clubs, etc..........but i decided not to put anything high school related.

I got an A in Bio 2 but the professor didn't get to know me too well so he said that all he could do was write up a generic letter. :thumbdown: I had to ask my Bio 1 professor for the letter and it apparently did the trick. If you take many courses somebody must have gotten to know you well enough unless you sleepwalked through undergrad.

If you've taken any Bio/Chem labs and did well in them, ask your lab professor (NOT the TA!!!) if they'd be willing to write you a LOR. Since labs tend to be much smaller they should know you pretty well.

one thing you shouldnt do is give in to your urge- burning down your profs house...

lol

If you've taken any Bio/Chem labs and did well in them, ask your lab professor (NOT the TA!!!) if they'd be willing to write you a LOR. Since labs tend to be much smaller they should know you pretty well.

Unfortunately, all of my labs are conducted by "TA's" hence why I didn't do that well in labs, aka they SUCK and they don't know what's what :(

No, I did not sleep through undergrad lol, I just don't feel like I know some professors that well and the few I do I got C's in their class so I feel sord of, well, below average. Especially since the professors at my school like to tell you non-stop about their PhD's and published books etc....kind of intimidating

I think I just need to suck it up and ask a few profs anyways, this is a little harder than I thought it'd be :(

one thing you shouldnt do is give in to your urge- burning down your profs house...

lol

HAH damn I was really leaning towards that decision...

hah jk ;)

njdental you must be a rutgers student and i feel your pain. haha

The best way to get letters in large undergrad classes.

1. Attend all lectures, sit in front rows.
2. Introduce yourself on first day of class, shake their hand! Tell them your plans.
3. Answer questions in class, raise your hand.
4. Go to office hours, and not just before an exam.
5. Do well in the class, you wouldn't want a letter from a class you did poorly in anyway, so do your best.
6. Help out when you see the chance, hand out scantrons etc. etc.

I got all of my letters this way, and they are not generic, since I had lots of interaction with the professors.

Anyone can get a letter on the last day of class, but if you want a great letter you need contact with the professor throughout the semester.

The best way to get letters in large undergrad classes.

1. Attend all lectures, sit in front rows.
2. Introduce yourself on first day of class, shake their hand! Tell them your plans.
3. Answer questions in class, raise your hand.
4. Go to office hours, and not just before an exam.
5. Do well in the class, you wouldn't want a letter from a class you did poorly in anyway, so do your best.
6. Help out when you see the chance, hand out scantrons etc. etc.

I got all of my letters this way, and they are not generic, since I had lots of interaction with the professors.

Anyone can get a letter on the last day of class, but if you want a great letter you need contact with the professor throughout the semester.
brownnoser

Ya, doing well in school is brown nosing. Opportunity doesn't come looking for you in this world, you have to go and get it. The people who know that are the people that make it the furthest.

Pretty good tips by Selso, except for (2) and (5). On the first day of class, faces are a blur to profs, especially since people drop classes very soon. Save the in self-intro until (4) is much better. And (6) might qualify as too much, except if you sit in the front row you might be asked to do it naturally.

I'm kindof in the same situation, I transferred from a CC to a UC and have been getting lots of B's and B+'s in my upper division bio courses. I did have a few A's but those were from upper division labs, which taught by TA's. I already had one 1 LOR from my Chemistry prof. and I still need one more from a Bio prof. since bio is my major. My question is, a letter from a "Philosophy of Biology" class (a upper division writing class ) or a letter from a lower division bio class, which one should I get? Will a letter from a class that you had a B in look bad? thanks guys!

I would take the lower division Bio class, there are some very nice 200 level bio classes that make for good letters.

to get a lor you gotta start at the beginning of the semester, i got one of mine by emailing the prof the second wk asking what his requirements were for receiving one from him, i followed up with his small requirements (mostly just getting a good grade and making it noticed that i attended classes) and then had a few sit down meetings with him so he could get to know me better as a person and thats all it took, i did most of the work making it very easy for him to get to know me...thats all most profs want. the whole process shouldn't require very much work from them.

I suggest you go ask him again, but bring along a friend this time.

1930024887_c1531273a3_o.jpg

HHAHA thats great!

Yea I do sit in the 2nd row and I attend class regulary - however I don't volunteer much.

So earlier when I posted this I said I was just going to ask my prof because what can I lose right? Well, I chickened out :( When I went up to his office to ask him about a mechanism I was stuck on, first he saw a few pages of notes that didn't have any handwriting on them so he told me that in order to pass the class I need to take notes (which I do! Just not on those two pages I did it in a notebook!!) and he told me I don't pay attention to detail because I was missing two very small arrows...ouch!

So I guess I will try again another day, hopefully relatively soon...:scared:

haha only cause i too am a rutgers student and i have been felt the wrath of the ru-screw by another PI.

yea the good ole RU-screw, nice isn't it? where are you in school, are you applying this year or are you already in d-school?

yea the good ole RU-screw, nice isn't it? where are you in school, are you applying this year or are you already in d-school?

that ru-screw is just fantastic let me tell you just got done w/registration bs... well i recently decided on dentistry(last nov-after i started working in a lab to see what getting a PhD may be like..realized this isnt really for me...u know the storyline) ...i graduated may2007 so im taking more science classes as a non-matric student too boost the ol gpa a tad...DAT this summer and going to apply in may 2009 for fall 2010..i could rush it and apply this yr but i need new LORs and want to have the best possible chance of getting interviews and matriculating.

im assuming ur applying this may and wish u the best!

that ru-screw is just fantastic let me tell you just got done w/registration bs... well i recently decided on dentistry(last nov-after i started working in a lab to see what getting a PhD may be like..realized this isnt really for me...u know the storyline) ...i graduated may2007 so im taking more science classes as a non-matric student too boost the ol gpa a tad...DAT this summer and going to apply in may 2009 for fall 2010..i could rush it and apply this yr but i need new LORs and want to have the best possible chance of getting interviews and matriculating.

im assuming ur applying this may and wish u the best!

Awesome - yea I would say take your time, I wish I could take my own advice, im 90% positive im applying this year, the only thing holding me back is im rushing some classes (taking 2 plus 2 labs this summer, 7 in fall, 1 in winter and 6 in spring to graduate spring '09) It realy won't be all that bad, but money is also an issue, I applied for a loan to pay for applying to d-school and got rejected.....so I haven't signed up to take the DAT.

My plan right now is working on these LORs, trying to get some type of loan, and if that all goes through then Ill take the DAT beginning of June and hopefully have my app out around May 15th........

This is so nervewracking!!

Last edited: