• Total voters

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Is it inappropriate for a non-related friend I've known 10+ years to write me a recommendation for medical school?

This person is my neighbor and has mentored me throughout my pursuit of a medical career. While I've shadowed many MD's, he knows me best on a personal level and would be most suited to attest to my potential success as a physician,.

Thoughts?
Is this friend a doctor? Professor?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: ATPsynthase123

dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I would make sure that they put as much objective information in the letter about your ability to be a physician. For example, putting that they've known you since you was a child would imply that the letter writer may have a bias towards you. If they remain neutral and simply write about your ability to become a physician with maybe an example of why, I think it would be okay. The schools don't have to know if the physician was necessarily a close friend or not. (Although some may find that unethical but I am sure it happens more frequently than people think).

Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Have you shadowed your friend? Would your friend be able to speak to your aptitude for grasping clinical skills? How you are with patients? Professionalism? Basically, would your friend be able to write a letter speaking to the same things as a physician you've shadowed or worked with vs. "I knew Johnny since he was 5 years old and he's a really fun and awesome guy."

My physician letters were both from friends/colleagues I've worked with for years but were written in a very professional manner.

Reactions: dwgrubbs1s
OP
C

cleverleta

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you shadowed your friend? Would your friend be able to speak to your aptitude for grasping clinical skills? How you are with patients? Professionalism? Basically, would your friend be able to write a letter speaking to the same things as a physician you've shadowed or worked with vs. "I knew Johnny since he was 5 years old and he's a really fun and awesome guy."

My physician letters were both from friends/colleagues I've worked with for years but were written in a very professional manner.

Thanks for the input! How many letters did you have? I have worked with so many physicians but I am having a tough time getting recs and its late in the cycle