(LOR's) Re-applying to gen surg as a resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted782953

I know there are a lot of threads out there regarding re-applying as residents from one field to another, but many of them are out of date. And, more specifically, my questions pertain to the LOR's. This is the thing that unfortunately holds me back. I do, however, have the support of the VIP(s) that matter. As a candidate for residency applying as a medical student in the past, the rules were laid out clearly. As a resident now re-applying for another residency mid-way through a residency, well...not so clear. Do all LOR's need to be completely fresh and new again? What if I have the LOR(s) that matter but others are not so supportive of my decision regardless of how dedicated and good I've been as a resident (meaning, they do not see the point in my switching)? What about obtaining LOR's from pre-residency contacts (preceptors)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are a lot of threads out there regarding re-applying as residents from one field to another, but many of them are out of date. And, more specifically, my questions pertain to the LOR's. This is the thing that unfortunately holds me back. I do, however, have the support of the VIP(s) that matter. As a candidate for residency applying as a medical student in the past, the rules were laid out clearly. As a resident now re-applying for another residency mid-way through a residency, well...not so clear. Do all LOR's need to be completely fresh and new again? What if I have the LOR(s) that matter but others are not so supportive of my decision regardless of how dedicated and good I've been as a resident (meaning, they do not see the point in my switching)? What about obtaining LOR's from pre-residency contacts (preceptors)? Thanks.
It would seem odd to me that you are applying with letters from medical school rather than residency. Who better to tell me what sort of resident you'll be than your residency faculty?

It is frankly concerning that you color your LORs as being non-supportive; if they are going to paint you in an unfavorable light, those are not the letters to use

Reactions: 1 user