Loupes Fair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well since my recruiter vanished I thought I'd ask you guys -

It's concerning loupes reimbursement. We're having a vendor fair for dental loupes here in another couple days. I know the Air Force reimburses up to 1K for the purchase of loupes, but would I need to wait to purchase them until my scholarship commences in May in order to receive that reimbursement?

I'm on the 3 year scholarship so my benefits will officially start the beginning of May at my school (when I'm considered a D2 for summer classes). Could I purchase them now and still put in to receive the 1K reimbursement in the future? Obviously, I could really use the loupes now for pros. (plus at this fair they're going to be on sale), but if it means forfeiting 1 grand I'd rather wait a month or so to purchase them.

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

what pair of loupes are you planning on buying and why are they $1,000?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think you can get anything reimbursed/qualify for anything until you have been commissioned. If you have been, then you're good to go.

I bought my loupes through Designs for Vision and the rep told me they would put whatever purchase date I need on the invoice for my reimbursement. Now, I just needed 10-14 days later in order to wait for the bump in repayment, so it wouldn't work for you now, but if you know when you'll be commissioned, you can talk to your rep about giving you the sale price and placing the order a couple weeks in advance but putting the purchase date on the invoice after your commsion date. It takes a few weeks from when you order to when you receive them anyways. Plus, many companies don't charge your credit card for at least 1 month after you receive them, so, at least in my case, I had to wait 4-6 weeks after I got my loupes before I could send in proof of payment for reimbursement. Not sure if this helps or not....basically, the reps are there to sell, so you can haggle with them some regarding discounts, sale prices, shipping, etc. Them them what you need and they'll do their best to accomidate...they want that sale!

Thanks guys.

Just remember this, the AF reimbursement guideline says you have to claim a purchase within 60 days with receipt. I don't know how hard-n-fast that rule is though.